1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Ryan Mathews on Sports Science

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by szarmes, Sep 24, 2010.

1. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    I remember watching this earlier this year, about a month before the draft. Ryan is definitely physically gifted. Now that I see he cuts with over 700 lbs of force, I wouldn't be too bummed if he sat out vs Seattle... But I also wouldn't mind seeing him run over Seattles D either :yes:

Your Thoughts?

2. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I call this next game as "Game One of the Great Pussout - A tribute to LaDainian Tomlinson"

3. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    So you would prefer that Mathews goes this week with a high ankle sprain and possibly aggravates it to the point where he misses the majority of the season against a team that we should beat without him, vice taking 1 or 2 more weeks to get it healty (our next opponent is Arizona, another team we should beat) and then produces for the reamainder of the season?

It's not as if it is Ryno's decision anyway, it's Norv & the training staff's and after 2 straight seasons of watching LT get hurt early and struggle for the rest of the year, often being very limited or even unavailable for postseason games, I cannot blame them for being very careful with this highly prized top draft pick who we are counting on to give us a legitimate running game.

• Like Like x 1
  4. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    It's not like he doesn't want to play, he said himself that he does but it is up to the training staff and coaches. If you were a rookie who became the starting running back for a super bowl contending NFL team, wouldn't you want to play as much as you could? LT was a whole different situation, person, and had different injuries. I'm sure Mathews will be sitting out for medical reasons, not for "pussing out"

5. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I prefer our star running back to be healthy.

It just so happens he is not so as fate would have it, the pussout card is at the ready. Some say it is too early for that card. I like a head start just in case.

6. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    The medical reasons qualify as puss-out criteria.

If Ryan is built to break down often, then the pussout card is appropriate. His mind may say YES but his body says NO = pussout.

Science needs to decode the pussout DNA strand and use this new testing criteria on all the players.

7. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Ryan Mathews says his ankle sprain isn't high
    Posted by Michael David Smith on September 25, 2010 7:12 AM ET
    Chargers running back Ryan Mathews is listed as doubtful for Sunday's game against the Seahawks with an ankle injury, but he says he doesn't have the dreaded high ankle sprain that can keep players out for several weeks.

"I wouldn't even say it was a high ankle sprain," Mathews told Tom Krasovic of FanHouse. "Usually a high ankle is, you're not walking the next day or really doing anything like that. I'm walking fine."

So if Mathews doesn't have a high ankle sprain, does he have a low ankle sprain? He says what he really has is soreness in the ankle.

"I don't feel pain or anything like that," he said. "It's really just real, real, real sore. . . . It's going to take some time to get used to, but it's going to heal up fine. It really is "

Mathews had 20 carries for 78 yards in his NFL debut, then had five carries for 26 yards before the injury forced him out of his second NFL game. He said he's satisfied with everything except the soreness of his ankle.

"As far as running the ball," Mathews said, "I think I'm doing an excellent job."

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ok fans there you have it. A few of the elements of mangina syndrome.

Repeating REAL REAL REAL sore is a dead give away.

Why not just sore?

Rub some dirt on it and go !

The extra REAL REAL REAL sore emphasis has some stank to it.

Uh huh.......now you are seeing it huh?

8. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

:eek:

9. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    When your kids would tell you that they are sick that is one thing.

When your kids tell you that you are REALLY REALLY sick, then you know something is up at school.

Maybe Ryan fears the azzwhoopin' of the NFL ?

The plot thickens.

10. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Ryan did say that LT was his idol.

Do you think it includes LT's pussout cards as well ?

Hmmmmm....

11. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Fuel on the fire ----

Ryan Mathews has never played a complete season in college

12. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Ryan is already on Trumpet_Man's shite list and this just adds to the dog pile.

Remember Steven Alexander or David Boston ? Both were always hurt and not worth crap. A flash here and there and mostly a waste of roster space.

Ryan better watch his back.

13. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    You're right, Lancer

14. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    A real tribute would have to come in the playoffs. :D

15. Jamesboltz21

Jamesboltz21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    Give the kid a chance, yeah I'm sure LT was his idol, but I'm also sure Ryan isn't trying to make the same mistakes as our previous running back. We don't know the total facts on his "real" condition, we are all just speculating and quite frankly its to early in his FIRST season to be labeling this kid a puss when he is averaging more yards per carry than LT did in the last what, 3 years.

16. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Ryan Mathews says his ankle sprain isn't high

Posted by Michael David Smith on September 25, 2010 7:12 AM ET
    Chargers running back Ryan Mathews is listed as doubtful for Sunday's game against the Seahawks with an ankle injury, but he says he doesn't have the dreaded high ankle sprain that can keep players out for several weeks.

"I wouldn't even say it was a high ankle sprain," Mathews told Tom Krasovic of FanHouse. "Usually a high ankle is, you're not walking the next day or really doing anything like that. I'm walking fine."

So if Mathews doesn't have a high ankle sprain, does he have a low ankle sprain? He says what he really has is soreness in the ankle.

"I don't feel pain or anything like that," he said. "It's really just real, real, real sore. . . . It's going to take some time to get used to, but it's going to heal up fine. It really is "

Mathews had 20 carries for 78 yards in his NFL debut, then had five carries for 26 yards before the injury forced him out of his second NFL game. He said he's satisfied with everything except the soreness of his ankle.

"As far as running the ball," Mathews said, "I think I'm doing an excellent job."

ProFootballTalk.com

sore   [sawr, sohr] Show IPA adjective,sor·er, sor·est, noun, adverb
    –adjective
    physically painful or sensitive, as a wound, hurt, or diseased part: a sore arm.
    suffering bodily pain from wounds, bruises, etc., as a person: He is sore because of all that exercise.
    suffering mental pain; grieved, distressed, or sorrowful: to be sore at heart.
    causing great mental pain, distress, or sorrow: a sore bereavement.
    causing very great suffering, misery, hardship, etc.: sore need.
    Informal. annoyed; irritated; offended; angered: He was sore because he had to wait.
    causing annoyance or irritation: a sore subject.

17. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I think as fans we need to send a message to Ryan early on in his career.

We will not be tolerant of the puss syndrome.

18. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    The guy LIES to himself.

Just say it Doug. The guy is a LIAR as well !!!!!!!

19. Jamesboltz21

Jamesboltz21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    The reason why I'm not completely excoriating Ryan is because when he got hurt last game the kid wanted to play so bad that not only did he "run" out of the locker room but he followed the coaches around so that they could notice him and possibly put him in. He didn't stand there mopping with his shaded helmet visor.

20. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I have to leave to supervise some cabinets being installed and when I get back, there needs to be a forum huddle.

There is compelling evidence against Ryan.

Someone get a judge - the jury is here - have the trial and I will be the executioner errrrrr the Turk.

Later.

21. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Oh hell no! :lol: He may still be a little confused on what the team wants him to say and how he really feels. Plus he may be trying to score with a chick and does not want to look like a puss. Sore sounds a little more macho than painful. :D

22. Jamesboltz21

Jamesboltz21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    Yep!!! I agree, even if amputated I would say sore... lmao

23. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Man, NICE post Lancer. Put some people in their place with that comeback.....:thumbup: