1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Ryan Mathews reminds Norv Turner of...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,580
    ...Ricky Williams

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/04/ryan-mathews-reminds-norv-turner-of-ricky-williams/

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    puff puff ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    I'm not surprised that Norv sees Mathews as a feature back...... that's why he was drafted as high as he was. They didn't envision him having to split carries like he has.

4. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Mathews getting less than 300 carries a season = waste

5. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    I think right around 300 is right where he needs to be, none of the 350+ stuff you get from guys like Peterson and Turner who slow down late in the year. Keep those legs fresh.

6. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    300 carries in the regular season is 18.75 a game. I'm sure he can handle that.

7. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,151
    Just a little perspective: RB is arguably the most dangerous position on the field,
    given the impact--per snap--a back absorbs. Yes, Ryan Mathews has missed more
    games than any Charger fan would've liked, but I don't think he's actually been particularly
    injury-prone given the position he plays. The fact is that San Diego fans were spoiled
    not just by LT's beautiful running, but also by his spectacular
    (and very rare, by NFL running back standards) excellent health.

I just decided to run some quick numbers on the 5 guys ESPN's AFC West guy
    (Bill Williamson) says are the best in the division:
    Darren McFadden, Jamaal Charles, Willis McGahee, Ryan Mathews & Peyton Hillis.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/43709/ranking-the-running-backs-3
    Each of these guys, when healthy, has been at or near the top of all NFL backs.

In 2011, Mathews had 222 carries.
    The other four averaged 133.75
    (McFadden: 113; Charles: 12; McGahee: 249; Hillis: 161)

Again, like every other Charger fan, I'd definitely like to see Mathews healthy for more carries.
    But this idea that he's unusually fragile--by running back standards--just isn't supported by the numbers.

8. boltfanatik

boltfanatik Toxic Minority Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Now if he could just get a handle on that ball control this season...:)

9. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629

So for your examples you chose a player who is widely described as being injury-prone, 2 players who were injured for a significant period of time last season, and 1 viable example.

If you look at the totals of all NFL running backs http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/rushing/sort/rushingAttempts, you see that the best backs in the league are hitting north of 275 carries a season. Also, talk of Mathews being fragile is based on him missing 4 full games and parts of others during his rookie season, along with his history at the NCAA level.

Hopefully his added muscle mass will allow him to better withstand the hits and be on the field more.

10. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,151
    I chose the best backs, in the most relevant division, in the most recent year.
    Don't see how that can possibly be considered cherry-picking.
    Citing "2 players who were injured for a significant period of time last season"
    makes my point about how commonplace are injuries at that position perfectly!

11. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    You removed 87.5% of possible backs, that smacks of cherry-picking to me, especially in a sample group where to get down to a back with 100 carries involves a sample size of only 50 subjects.

12. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    His upright running and tendency to fumble still brings back memories of one Chunk Muncie to me. That's not a bad thing, the Bolts just need a defense to play tough when it really counts.

• Agree Agree x 1