1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Ryan Mathews vs Ben Tate

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by szarmes, Apr 11, 2010.

?

What will happen?

1. AJ will draft Ryan Mathews in rd 1

6 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. AJ will draft Ben Tate in rd 2

3 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. AJ will not draft a RB in rd 1 and draft whichever is available in rd 2

9 vote(s)
    42.9%
  4. Ryan Mathews will be off the board at 28 and Ben Tate is drafted in rd 2

3 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    There has been a lot of buzz about Ben Tate this past week such as "we WILL draft ben tate" and so on... He is AJ's type of guy, and that twitter thing where he said 'he was having dinner with an NFL team and he couldn't say which one' has AJ written all over it. Mathews and Tate are similar and I'm starting to believe that AJ will draft Tate, regardless if Mathews is there (you know how he is, once he likes a guy he goes out and gets him). Anyway, I think it's unanimous that Mathews is the better back by a little bit, but who do you think we will draft?

Ryan Mathews, 6'0" 218lbs

or Ben Tate, 5'11" 220lbs

2. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    YOU really ought to add gerhart to this early list as well.

Just my guess. But chargers will pick a very good player athlete with pick 28. Such as weatherspoon, or olb grahm or d-tckle williams or if kyle wilson slips this far.

And we use the 40th pick for the rb. Matthews may even fall as far as 40 if he's not taken by new england or some other team that needs a rb.

3. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Those of us who want Ben Tate want him with pick 40...We already know Ryan Mathews is gone by then.....and most likely before our pick 28....so what's the point of this.

If the question is who to pick at pick 28...put me in the Ryan Mathews camp.

A more likely scenario is Mathews is gone by pick 28...we take a DT or DE there....and who to take at pick 28....so, the poll should be "do we take Tate or Dwyer or other at pick 40?"

4. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Don't discount Jahvid Best either.

Theres no rule that says we can't have two smaller RB's, and Sproles may still be traded.

5. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    I've been looking at a lot of film of Best lately and I can totally see him doing damage in our offense...I still think we need a grinder...but another big time playmaker in our already lethal offense wouldn't make me sad.

6. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Imagine a shotgun formation with Jackson, Gates, and Floyd out wide....with Best and Sproles running routes out of the backfield.:lol:

Talk about matchup advantage!

7. Chargerfn909

Chargerfn909 High and tight kid, high and tight!

Ratings:
    +34
    I made that "We will draft Tate thread" and I am even more confident now then I was when I made the thread.

Back to what you said about going to dinner with a team. Well like I said in my OP (in the w will draft tate thread), Ben had tweeted me that he was visiting with the Bolts April 5th. He was out to dinner with a team on April 6th, MORE than likely that was with us.

To add onto all that, today I tweeted him asking what he thought of AJ & Norv and on a scale 1-10 how would he rate his visit. This was his response...

BenTateRB

@boltfan909 11

So with some minor detective work I basically solved the puzzle as to who "That team" was he was out to dinner with.

Again, AJ hid this visit. I have not seen _1_ web site report that Tate visited the Chargers. That is a big sign that AJ means business with him. It also makes sense on why he wanted the 40th overall opposed to the 60th, he knew the Pats would grab Tate with one of their 3 2nd round picks.

Tate is Gore type player and we all saw what Norv did for Gore when he was there..

IF we do not draft Tate at 40 I will be utterly surprised.
    :abq1:

8. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555

What I like is how Mathews sort of tilts the axis of the field. He accelerates out of his cuts very well, and is also strong enough to fall forward and break arm tackles.

What I like about Tate is his resemlance to Michael Turner, he runs with authority and better straitline speed than I first thought.

I'm still leaning Mathews...

9. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34
    I think Mathews will be a good pro, however our biggest needs are on the defensive side of the ball. Draft Cody/Price in the first then Tate in the 2nd.. Then all D until the 5th.

10. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    I'd agree 99% of the time if I were sold on Cody. :yes:

I'd like to see us land both honestly, and I've seen some mocks that have us taking Mathews @28 and Cody @40.:tup:

11. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    What about this website? lol

12. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    That would be my druthers.

13. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    I'm bringing this up only because Norv was caught drooling over CJ Spiller....our 28 and 40 picks (according to the draft value chart) when packaged together are worth roughly 1555pts, which could move us all the way up to 12 or 13 in this draft.

Of course not every team goes by the draft chart and personally I wouldn't trade up with such a deep draft class. But CJ Spiller and Dan Williams are not out of reach.

14. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    With AJ in charge of the negotiations, we could turn a couple of 6th rounders into 1st rounders
    :nana_dance:

15. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34
    Other than myself I have not seen 1 person report that Tate visited the Chargers..

16. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34
    F that! If he's drooling over Spiller just draft the best defensive player @ 28 then Best @ 40. Best is just as good, if not better than Spiller. The ONLY question mark surround him is his melon, if he keeps that thing safe he will be dominant.

17. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Yeah I'm not WOWED by Spiller. If I have one complaint its that he runs more like a punt returner than a runningback. He almost never puts his shoulder down and runs through people, he tries to make big plays rather than getting the yards available.

Best does a better job of all these things, and is every bit the homerun threat Spiller is......only with added injury concern.

Which again brings me back to Ryan Mathews being the best option, Best being #2, and Tate being the consolation prize.

18. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Yep, I'm not sold on spiller as an every down back either. He's really more a sproles type of back. To me the best every down backs look like matthews , tate or gerhart.

19. Centella Cajon

Centella Cajon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    Really? :lol:

20. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    If that happens, I would consider putting Sproles, Buster and our third to move once more into the second round for a good, big back. We might even make that third the extra one for next year. I think my addled brain has us with our third, a comp and the one we got from the Seahawks.

21. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Buster is worth nothing at this point. In fact adding him in the deal may DE-VALUE the trade. I'd like to see what Sproles + our 40th could fetch us though...

BTW- Patrick Kerney retiring, and Leroy Hill getting in trouble further reduces the chances that Seattle takes Spiller @6 or @14. I could see this guy taking a slide, and I don't think San Fran will bite if it means alienating Frank Gore.

22. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    Spiller will be gone in the top 15 just because of his talent. We have no chance at him and we don't need him. Ryan Mathews should be our guy, if not him then Ben Tate

23. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Marshall trade likens the possibility of Miami trading down, and like I said our 2 early picks are enough to put us in the 12 spot.

I wouldn't do it, I'm just sayin if AJ and Norv have a man crush on Spiller....

24. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34
    Nah 'Fins NEED another 3-4OLB..Dansby will fill for Porter but Taylor will be gone. They take Kindle or Graham at 12.

25. coachmarkos

coachmarkos BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +47
    While I warming up to the idea of Ben Tate. (I'm usually not a fan of guys who make BIG leaps forward from combine workouts)

I agree that Gerhart should be in the discussion as well.

Matthews is an option in the first, if he's there.

If he's not there...in the second Tate/Gerhart/Dwyer

And I know some of you don't like Dwyer, and I understand it, but I like his "wiggle" and I don't see that from Tate or Gerhart. They are both more straight ahead guys... which is fine.

26. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    I said this about about 2 weeks ago:abq1: