1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Ryan Mathews

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by LT-Express, Nov 21, 2010.

1. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    Just fuggin great!! Here I am making a push for the playoffs in my FFL league, and Ryan Mathews's status has gone from questionable to doubtful and he didnt practice Saturday.

WTF???? For the love of god dude, take your panties off and put on your jock strap and go play.

Dude is killing my FFL team this year.

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Hmmmmm .... seems I remember that you & I were against drafting a RB in the 1st. Just a couple of dumbphucks, aren't we? :rolleyes:

3. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434
    Lmao ya I guess!!! U know how it goes.

4. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    NO KIDDING!!!! We should have taken Terrance Cody and Ben Tate. Or Brian Price and Montario Hardesty. They sure helped their teams out haven't they? :lol: The only rookies playing with any consistency right now are Suh, Bradford, and Dez Bryant.

I'm sure glade we have LT-Express around so he can declare the other 29 1st round draft picks busts after 9 games.

5. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    RB's are a dime a dozen however; the fat man ... remember the fat man.

6. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    what would you like, you in the playoffs or the Chargers in the playoffs?

7. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Of the 4 you mentioned, I only championed one - Cody.

Nice try though.

8. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Tell that to your gawd AJ. He seems to contradict your mantra, yet you still treat him as a deity. Seems a tad inconsistent.

9. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    It sure seems to me like the Bolt's have an extraordinary amount of foot and ankle injuries.

10. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    If you need to rely on a rookie RB who hasnt done much even when healthy, then you probably dont have that good of a team anyways. Mathews should be no better than a 4th RB on any good fantasy team

• Like Like x 1
  11. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    My best friend drafted him with the #6 pick. I have been laughing at him all season

12. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    I made no attempt to remember who you championed, I was merely scoffing at the need for instant gratification around here.

Who would you have takent at 28 and 40? It was no secret everyone thought we needed help at RB, NT, and OT......are there any good rookies at these positions? Or do you think maybe should we wait a little while longer, just to see how it plays out?:rolleyes2:

13. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +345
    F*&K, if only I knew the Super Lotto numbers yesterday!

That said, I like Mathews, he has an unfortunate injury, and I believe in him. In fact, he is my new sig. sooooooooooooooooooooory!

14. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I would have taken Odrick and Ben Tate (yes, I know he broke his leg). Then we would have address RB and DL, and not had to give up Tim Dobbins. Fact is, Norv doesn't use the running game enough to justify spending a 1st, 2nd, and giving up a quality LB a RB that won't be utilized enough to justify the cost.

It isn't about Matthews the player, it is about the cost it took to get him. I like Matthews, I just don't think any RB is worth that cost in Norv's system

15. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    All I really care about is that "if" this team makes the playoffs... the high profile running back needs to be available. Sure would be nice to have that luxury for a change. *wink*

16. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Dobbins? You care about Dobbins? Are we forgetting that the Dolphins already fired their special teams coach? :lol:

As happy as I was that we landed what will prove to be the best RB in this draft, I agree with you that going up to 12 to get him was not ideal. I believed given the success of guys like Emmitt Smith, Frank Gore, Ricky Williams etc.. under Norv, and his prior overcommittment to keeping our offense balanced that Mathews would have a better rookie season.

That said, take away the injuries and the fumbles and nobody is complaining about a rookie campaign where we go from 32nd in rushing, to 14th in 1 year.

17. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Go back & look. It's very well documented. I'm not panning Mathews, but to trade up for a position that has become disposable was a poor decision.

Thanks in large part to Tolbert, not Mathews.

18. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    As I always say "Never draft a rookie".

19. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Wouldn't it though.

As for the immediate gratification charge, matilack, when you trade UP to the #12 pick overall for a RB, which isn't exactly a position that should take long to be productive, then yeah - I expect more. Durability was one of the question marks with Mathews - not an insignificant concern which seems to be playing out somewhat. Meanwhile, Spikes is blowing people up for NE. He & Cody were my #1 & #2, in either order.

20. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    AJ is godlike.

When you have to look up to everyone, I can see how you are intimidated.

21. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    The one thing I have noticed is the fans who follow the draft and their "boys" seem to lose their perspectives on how that player performs at the next level.

Stop being so defensive of your "boys" who are not doing well. Accept the fact you may be WRONG. It takes a few years to evaluate drafts granted but in the mean time the body of work is being dissected along the way.

Ryan Mathews has not lived up to his billing or maybe he has with his history of being injured. We have all seen the flashes of brilliance with many players only to be beset by nagging injuries. Buster Davis comes to mind. Merriman is another. Steven Alexander......the list is long.

It is not acceptable to have a Bob Sanders as a RB. Part time players take up valuable roster space.

Anyway, I can see Ryan is gifted when healthy but we need more. My gut says this will be chronic with Ryan and I hope I and wrong.

22. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Got to give the kid some time.

23. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I give Ryan Mathews a D+ so far this season. That is below average. The upside is the room to be consistent and only time answers that question.

24. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Whatever that means. I'm certainly not intimidated by you. :rolleyes:

25. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I agree. Give the man a whole season before we judge him to be a bust. I mean at least he isn't a "Ki-Jana Carter".

26. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    WHy did we draft matthews? i KNOW HE'S GOOD BUT DID WE REALLY NEED HIM? I mean Tolbert seems to be all we need. THis is the best passing team.

27. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Do we really need to discuss Mathews again? Seriously? You can't call him a bust and it's way too early to tell if we need him or if he'll be a long term benefit to us.

28. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Agree. You Mathews doubters just watch. He's gonna have a spectacular game this season and you doubters will be on his jock. Give the man some time. You all witnessed what this guy can do when he's on the field. Problem is getting him on the field. But give the man some time. He'll make you all see eventually why we drafted him No. 1. Some of you fans are so impatient and quick to judge. Just like some of you were with Rivers. Now look at what you say about him......

29. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434
    I sure am glad we have matilack and szarmes around to be able to play with RM's ****** and balls. Dude seriously?? Where in the hell in my initial post did I say he was going to be a bust? U need to let go of his nuts for a second and read the post.

30. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Mathews does concern me a little bit in the health department. He's shown the ability to play but the injuries and ball control are something he needs to grow out of.