1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Ryan Mathews

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Harley, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    hey while still not sold on RM, how about that f'n blast he gave to the NE DB in the 4th qtr??? all i thought (after done yelling) was i never saw LT hit someone on the sideline (even when he was in his second year).
    he knocked that mo' fo' out...it was great.
    i was impressed and it gave me hope for the kid.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    His last 3 games he has gone over 100 yards combined. His lowest was what 118 wich was against the Vikings... What are you not sold on? The Kid is a weapon!

3. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    i think he's gonna put the rock on the ground everytime he gets the ball. sorry but i do. i agree he's a weapon it's just gonna take some time to build my trust in him (not that my trust matters to anything).
    the awesome thing is both our RBs (when they get to the second/third level) are look'in to smash someone. tolbert did it earlier in the game. db dudes are gonna take note when they watch tape and get a lil' scared/nervous 'bout come'in up hard. i hope they keep it up.

4. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    I am not sold on him being able to block for Rivers.

I am not sold that he knows his plays. On our first drive, he turned the wrong way, missed Phil's pass and stalled our drive.

He is warming up, but I too am not sold.

5. Chargerfn909

Chargerfn909 High and tight kid, high and tight!

Ratings:
    +34
    He's playing at a whole nother level this year. They are just slowly working him in, and it seems to be working well, still my biggest concern is ball security and health, but so far he's doing damn good..

And yea, when he layed it on the CB for the Pats and just stood over him talking schitt I definitely got a stiffy! haha, love the 'tude, its needed.

• Like Like x 1
  6. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Matthews has a history of the fumbles. Until that is under control I will not trust him near the goal line. I think Tolbert has learned a lesson from his fumble yesterday..... I hope.

7. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Has he fumbled yet this year?

8. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Yeah Mathews, that kids pretty good. Who'd a guessed....

• Like Like x 2
  9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    I thought he was a bust no?

10. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Are you trying to get matti to kick you where god split you?

11. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Only has 24 carries. Had 5 last season in 158 carries.

12. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    How can people still not be sold on him? That's astonishing to me. He has been making play after play in the first two games, just as he did in the preseason. His improvement from last year to this year is enormous. He's proving that he's a very special player.

13. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    I am one of the one's that said Ryan Mathews was a good player but not worth what we gave up for him. This kid grows on me a little more each week. However, I still stand by moving up that many spots to get a guy that plays a very similar role to Darren Sproles. Carries the ball sparingly and is used primarily on screens and short passes when its 3rd and 6 or less. He does at times look a bit lost out there like he is not sure what the play is or that he doesn't hear PR audible at the line. There are a few times I have seen him break the wrong way out of a route and PR puts it where its supposed to be and he isn't there.

Now with all of that said I really like what I see from the kid so far this year. Only 24 carries or not, he hasn't put it on the ground yet and that I am happy with that. Just hope he can stay healthy. Cause what I see from him so far, the improvement, if the sky is the limit he is gonna be a good one. That is all.

• Like Like x 1
  14. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    Yep, you can actually see the game slowing down for him. His head is moving and seeing holes before he turns on the speed. So much different then last year. I am really happy to see him running and catching the ball well. His ball control is better, and like you said he is laying wood which is a good sign he is getting to full speed.

15. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    One thing baffling to me the last two weeks is how, with Mathews being effective, why aren't we feeding him the ball more? I understand how good Rivers is but if Mathews is getting yards, why don't we give him the ball?

16. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Oh I don't care, I just love that the season has started and with every opportunity he gets the Mathews bashers grow a little quieter......until he TRIPS ON A LINEMEN AND THREE 300 POUND MEN COME CRASHING DOWN ON HIS LEG AARGGAHHAHAHRRGEGEAGOGOOO.......and the talk of his durability comes back. :tup:

17. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    I liike the rhyno. He's show flashes of brilliance. Not quite LT but very impressive top 5 rb quality. If he could keep it up a whole game and avoid fumbling and injuries he would be one of the top5 easily.

18. BlazingBolt

BlazingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +36
    I am pretty sure Tolbert fumbles just as many times as Mathews last year and so far more than him this year.

19. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    His explosiveness, elusiveness, and tackle breaking have improved 0% from last year... and that's not a complaint.

He was nails last year as far as talent goes. His problem was putting the ball on the ground and injuries. I say, "Keep giving him the rock and let him prove us wrong."

20. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    LT never hit anyone on the sideline...I recall reading something a long time ago where LT said that he learned from
    another great running-back that if he wants to stay healthy and extend his career...just go out of bounds and avoid
    the hits.
    That being said, I loved it when Mathews knocked the DB into next week....that was sweet, something that he (the DB) soon won't forget..if he remembers it at all.:D

21. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    Yet still, as soon as he hit 30 BAM garbage.

22. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Sorry, but this is not true at all. Ryan is seeing holes better this year. He's hitting them with more authority. This leads to more explosiveness, quicker cuts and running with more authority. He's much more confident in what he's doing out there. He's a much better player than he was last year.

Obviously, staying injury-free and holding onto the ball will be key. But he's done well so far.

23. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +504
    I loved seeing him 'lay the pain'. It shows he's playing with some fire in his belly = good. I like him but I do kinda worry about the ball when I see him swerving and jinking. He looks very talented.

24. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    He fumbled once in the preseason (so did Tolbert, & Jordan Todman) but he has yet to fumble in a regular season game this year while Tolbert’s regular season fumbles always seem to come at the worst possible time, when we’re deep in opponent territory & driving towards a score.

Ryno always seems to score from farther out, he gets through a hole and then it’s off to the races from virtually anywhere on the field. and I’m calling it now, Mathews will wave a touchdown scamper of 80 yards or more at some point this season!

25. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    The guy is good. Needs to do a lot more before I can think he's great. Either way Norv doesn't know that he needs to be starting him already.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    It's an easy bandwagon to jump on. :ninja: