1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Ryan Matthews vs CJ Spiller vs Blount

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by NORV4LIFE, Feb 10, 2010.

1. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    Personal Issues aside how do they stack up in your opinion. WIth LT for sure leaving we will need to fill the void. WOuld you rather do it with the lighter speedier spiller, a more CJ type or the powerful Matthews or bargain Basement(character issues) Blount?

2. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Don't forget about Jonathan Dwyer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Dwyer - heavy back, some speed but more of an inside runner
    Blount - same thing
    Matthews - good all around at both outside and inside
    Spiller - tougher to bring down but most effective on the outside

4. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    We need an INSIDE and OUTSIDE runner!

If Sproles stays, then we only need an INSIDE runner which puts Blount and Dwyer ahead of the rest.

Spiller would be a luxury Norv would love to scheme around! but its unlikely that he will be available at 28 and the Chargers have more pressing needs than to go after a luxury pick!

At this stage...my pick is Jonathan Dwyer

5. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    I'd say matthews>dywer!!!! Blount>Dywer because we can get him in a later round!

If we keep sproles I don't see the need for another speed back. Spiller only weighs 10-15 lbs more than sproles.

6. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    1st Round. NT-Cody
    2nd Round RB- Dwyer/Blount

:yes:

7. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    Cody will eat himself out of the league, imo. I liked him before, but when he blew up to 370 lbs in a short time frame, I lost interest. He has struggled to stay under 400lbs since he entered college. He also isn't very mobile. We'd be better off placing a huge boulder in front of the other team's center.

Will Dwyer still be there in the late 2nd round? If we wait too long, we'll miss out on Dwyer, Matthews, AND Jahvid Best(if we lose Sproles)

My opinion of Blount is that he'll be a touchdown machine in this offense. He'll also hang out with the other immature Chargers and will end up doing something STUPID like kick a challenge flag, get a DUI, beat his girlfriend, etc. etc. etc!!!

If we keep Sproles, I like Matthews>Dwyer>Gerhart>Blount

If we lose Sproles, Jahvid Best jumps in front, and we can pick up Gerhart or Blount in a later round.

8. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Of the 3, ill take mathews.

I think spiller is the best RB in this draft, but he doesnt fit the offense unless sproles leaves and we DO draft 2 RBs in the first 2 rounds. We need a downhill runner who can move a pile.

I wouldnt waste a 7th rounder on a moron like blount, and i doubt AJ would either

As for mathews, i think he has great size and speed, and really has a build like LT. Physically, one thing i always look for when looking at RBs is thighs. To move a pile, and break tackles, you need to have a strong lower body, and Mathews definitely has that.

[​IMG]

Ive been on the dwyer bandwagon for a year and half now, and still hope hes our #1, but i must say, if we pass/miss out on him, i would be just as happy with mathews, and think that long term, mathews could be the better back. He just reminds me so much of a bigger, more powerful Pierre Thomas.

9. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    That's a great idea Workplay!

[​IMG]

10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    though if we do a hurry up offense man with that as our center we'd be fugged

11. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    WIll that boulder be there by the time were on the clock? That thing would be impenetrable!

12. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    we really lucked out this year with gettting another good rb. There are like 5 or 7 good to really good rb's in this draft. Thanks for all the videos so I don't have to search for them.

Blount has alot of talent. But he hints of that nebraska rb that was always getting in trouble. We've got to look at the caliber of person as well as thier playing abilities.:yes:

Other really good rb's are mississippi states anthony dixon, cals jivad best, usc's joe mcnight, , auburns ben tate, stanfords toby gerhardt and a few other sleepers. Thats alot of good to very good rb's in a draft.

13. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    Why does everybody love Jonathan Dwyer? He is out of shape and heavy footed IMO.. I agree that if Sproles bails out then we get Best in rd 1 and Blount in a later round. If Sproles stays (which i think he will to get more playing time now that LT is gonna leave) then we should get Ryan Mathews.. I kind of hope that Sproles leaves pretty much forcing AJ to draft 2 RBs.. Sproles is good and all but he is replaceable with guys like McKnight or McCluster... I would like to have Best because he reminds me so much of Chris Johnson and we all know how beast he is but I think we'd need a more balanced back then him so I'd stick with Ryan Mathews. Mathews had only 1 game under 100 yards the whole season. he is a beast

14. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I agree with you on Dwyer, but I wouldn't spend a 1st round pick on Jahvid Best just to replace Sproles. His durability is a major concern, and I think when you spend a 1st round pick on a RB they need to be able to take the ball 20+ times a game.

To me Ryan Mathews is the "safest pick" of this RB class. He's a great inside runner who always falls forward and fights hard for extra yards. He's also good at bouncing it outside and breaking 20+yd runs, and he is decent enough as a reciever.

15. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    JUst my opinion. But our first rounder should go for another postion. And get the rb in the 2nd round. I'd say linebacker or d-tackle or cb should be the first pick. Especially if we trade cro.

Alot of these good rb's should fall to the 2nd round. ANd I think then there will be scramble for them.

16. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    If Dan Williams is there, he's the one I take. I would be afraid to touch Cody unless his weight was down around 260 a draft time, preferable 250 as some proof he'll actually work to be able to play the position more than part time without gassing. I have a feeling Cody will not have a long career-his knees are taking a beating just walking him around. If Williams is gone either Matthews or Jahvid best, depending on who is available. We need to hang on to Sproles. My #1 priority is Nose Tackle. After that I think your RB pick is about right.

17. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    I think I have some credibility when picking RB's since I was on the Shonn Greene bandwagon last year. Only if AJ would have listened to me. :lol: I think Dwyer will be our best pick but I would not be hurt if we did get a FA RB. Next years draft will have many more RB's to choose from and much deeper.

18. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    You mean 360 and 350 pounds not 260 and 250 right??? cos I dont think he is capable of getting down to 260 hahah lol:icon_rofl:

19. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    Lets draft Terrance Cody and have him learn from the best in Jamal Williams!

Everyone is saying that Cody will be a 2 down player until he can prove otherwise and that could work perfectly for the Chargers allowing Big Jamal to save himself by taking more rests on the sidline during games and prolong his career a few years more.

Imagine a defensive line of Cody, Williams and Castilo on first and second down...our linebackers would never get touched!!!:tup:

20. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    I agree with you that Dwyer fits in best with the Chargers.

Spiller is an intriguing prospect...but I don't think he can be a feature back like Chris Johnson.

Ryan Mathews is average at best in comparison to other similar running backs in other drafts IMO

21. coachmarkos

coachmarkos BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +47
    It's all a risk/reward type of thing. These are the rounds I'd pick these guys.

1st- Spiller (doubt he'll be there)
    2nd- Dwyer/Matthews/Best (maybe one will be there)
    3rd- McKnight/Gerhart/Blount (probably one)
    4th- Dixon (??? He didn't do much at the Senior Bowl, Blount rocketed past him there, unless Dixon Wows at the combine)

22. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    We really should get blount. He could be like natrone means only bigger and faster! For a 5th or 7th round pick aint it worth it?

23. coachmarkos

coachmarkos BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +47
    He's totally be worth it, but I don't think he'll slip that far.

Someone will take a chance on him by the fourth, at least.

24. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    Really? IDK, Before the senior bowl most scouts and pundits were saying he'd go undrafted. Even now they say 6th or 7th round. I would think he'd go earlier too but thats not what the "experts" are saying. I hope we can snag him if we don't get matthews!

25. coachmarkos

coachmarkos BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +47
    Well, I'm just thinking Dixon was thought of as a 3rd round pick, and Blount was much more productive, and more impressive in the practices.

If he nails his interviews, and performs well at the combines, he's going to rise.

26. coachmarkos

coachmarkos BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +47
    I just watched a number of these highlight vids.

I've been in the Matthews in the 2nd camp a long time, but darned if Dwyer isn't winning me over. I like how he takes on tacklers, not just running them over, but doing whatever it takes, straight arm, you name it...and great Burst through the hole. Some of those dive plays, if he's got some daylight...BAM! he's 6 yards downfield.

I'm really turning into a Dwyer fan here.

27. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    IDK. I would take blount anny day over dwyer!!! BLount is as bit, faster, more elusive, more punishing... etc... if only he didn't puch people! THink about that stiff arm ability though!
    :icon_shrug:

28. SDDon

SDDon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    Allot of great thoughts here in the last ten posts. I agree with most of what is being said. I know I am new to this board but I was very high on Shonn Greene also, Good call.

Best got nicked up at the end of the year and spending a first round choice on him seems a little high. Mathews is the best all around choice for me, as I saw Dwyer in his bowl game and he didn't impres me at all.

As far as a Sproles replacement, my #1 choice would be McCluster. I also like Blount, as the bigger power back. I would like to see the Chargers take two RB's in the draft and shave offa ton of money from that area of the team. It could be realocated elsewhere and we don't need that much production at RB with the rest of our offense intact.

I know in another thread allot of folks were real high on MJD, I think Tolbert has some of his in him, more than most will give him credit for. The only thing he lacks is the overall long run spead, but for the first 30 to 40 yards he is very similar.

As far as Cody, he is a total waste in my book, I call him a statue in a phonebooth. The guy can only play 40% of the defenseive plays now and that was with 5 weeks off before his bowl game, so he ws fresh. He is les than a 2 down player with severe wieght issues and stamina problems.

Williams is a STUD but should be gone by our pick. A CB is an option but I am having allot of problems sorting them out after Haden who will be gone also. A vet CB who can start with Cro moving back to nickle where he had previous success might be the best option.

There are some O-Line guys I really like also. (Ducasse and the kid from Hillsdale)

29. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    Spiller will be long gone...so its either Mathews or Dwyer in my opinion...but I wish we'd take a stud RT (maybe Trent Williams falls? Ducasse, Iupati), then maybe Gerhart late in the second, or Blount in later rounds

The running game will improve, even with "old man" LT if we improve our RT....Clary has been fine but he is not a road grader.

2nd year out of Vasquez should be better, and Hardwick I honestly have no idea. I know some guys think he gets pushed around. Left side is fine with dirty Diel and Big Mack!!! We blew it by not getting Oher last year and LT suffered his worst season because of it. Honestly if he played those two games he missed, he would have been close to 1000, still his worst year.

We have all been incredibly spoiled with #21 for nearly a decade...there isn't anybody in this draft that will ever tie his shoes.

Our running game will be fine as long as we focus on RT, even the kid from Hillsdale is intriguing to me. Maybe getting a guy like Maroney in Free Agency.

30. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    I think that getting a RB would have a greater impact and we just signed 2 lineman for 2 year deals so I think linemen aren't on our top priority list or else we wouldn't have signed them all for 2 years. IMO Mathews can solidify our offense and if Sproles goes, McCluster is aways a good target (plus he can also run the ball). I think RB is our greatest need and I wouldn't be surprised getting Mathews in rd 1 and Joique Bell or Blount in one of the later rounds maybe 5 or 6. We need all the help we can get at RB.