1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Ryon Bingham - Return to form

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

By Christopher Smith, Chargers.com
    Posted 4 hours ago
    7-28-2010

Versatile veteran Ryon Bingham, healthy after a torn triceps sidelined him last year, hopes to reclaim his place as an important contributor.

SAN DIEGO – A retooled defensive line has been in place almost one year.
    Enough time for the new parts to become familiar with each other.
    It’s also been short enough to happen without Ryon Bingham[​IMG], a member of the old guard. Bingham tore a triceps last training camp, which relegated him to Reserve-Injured through the season.
    Bingham, who backed up Jamaal Williams at nose tackle, primarily on passing downs, and also played at defensive end, is 100 percent healthy and eager to reclaim his role as a versatile veteran.
    (My arm) feels great. I’m ready to get after it this year,” Bingham said. “That period of time (during the injury) was tough, but it’s behind me now. I look forward to contributing this year.”
    The 6-foot-3, 303-pound defensive lineman attended every day of offseason conditioning. Head Coach Norv Turner recognized Bingham as one of the offseason’s best performers.
    “I’m happy for Ryon that he has recovered from the injury,” Turner said. “I’m excited for him to be back and I want to see him have a great training camp.”
    As for the new mix of veterans and young, athletic talents at the position, Bingham will get a better chance to evaluate them once camp commences in full Friday, but he’s made an initial analysis.
    “It’s changed a lot since I was playing my first years here,” Bingham said. “We have a lot of good talent, a lot of good guys. Older vets. I think they add a lot to the table. It’s cool to be a part of that.”

SOMETHING TO PROVE: Antwan Applewhite[​IMG] doesn’t have the six years of NFL experience accrued by Bingham, but he also missed all but one game of last season with an injury.
    The third-year linebacker feels like a rookie, and not just because of their sheer numbers at Chargers Park this week.
    “When you get an injury like that, it’s almost like starting over physically and mentally,” Applewhite said. “You have to stat over, you have to learn things again and you have to get your body going again. Getting the early time was good for me.”
    Applewhite’s immersed himself in recovery, devoting time to rehab, massages, watching film and meeting with coaches and fellow players.
    “I hope to show (the coaches) that I’m back the way I was, back to life,” he said. “I felt like I was playing pretty well last year before I got hurt, so I just wanted to show them that I can get back to that point so they can have faith in me.”

MAN IN RED: Legedu Naanee[​IMG] likened backup quarterback Billy Volek[​IMG] to a player-coach.
    The 11th-year veteran gives San Diego a two-headed presence at the position, two guys that can provide credible advice that’s respected by receivers.
    “I think it’s huge just knowing how much football he’s been around,” Naanee said. “The fact that he knows his stuff. I don’t want to call him a coach, but he’ll give you those little coaching points that you need to hear on certain plays. You respect him for that and you know that when you’re in there with him, especially in the preseason, things are going to get done.”

2. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Even though there it must have been a typo on his birth cert (what's with the O in Ryon?), I would love to see this guy make it and contribute.

Hands up who remembers Chuck Ehin?. I think of him when I look at Bingham, but think Bingham can be a much better player.

3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Good luck to all of these guys this year. I believe that we're going to have a lot of heretofore "unknown" guys turning heads this year.

4. coachmarkos

coachmarkos BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +47
    Always liked Bingham as a DE. He's a bit light at the Nose. But he played well at DE subbing for Igor back when Igor was hurt.

5. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Bingham isn't that good, I've seen him stand strait up and start playing pattycake way too many times. I'd be shocked if he makes the team.

6. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    DL and WR will be interesting battles in preseason