1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

S.F. Players

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Bolts4lyfe, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    First off what do you think it would take for us go get Anthony Dixon? I think he would be a good RB2 for us. S.F. just signed Jacobs so right now they have 4 running backs and I believe we can grab him with a 6th or 7th round pick. Also I want Tolzien back. they currently have 4 QB's I'm sure he'll be cut if and when he does I hope the Chargers try to swoop him back up

2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    A 4th or 5th. But AJ prefers drafting unknowns rather than adding players we already know can play.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Why give up a draft pick for a b/u RB? UDFA bud, UDFA...

4. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    true but I was just thinking instead of taking a gamble of a UDFA we know Dixon's play, sure Kendall Hunter surpassed him on the depth chart but looking back on previous drafts everytime we took a RB they didn't pan out. Jordan Toddman, Gartrell Johnson, Marcus Thomas

5. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    In respect to Dixon because he's more of what we already have in Mathews, McClain, and (at least until/if he gets cut in camp) Summers. Dixon doesn't contribute a ton on ST. His pass-blocking isn't really up to snuff (part of the reason why Kendall Hunter passed him on the depth chart last season). And he doesn't offer much in the way of a receiving option either. Folks really need to grasp that there's more to being a worthwhile RB in this league than being able to run between the tackles or off-guard.

Also, why waste a draft pick trading for a guy who is between #3 and #4 on his team's DC and offers little special teams value? Doesn't that sound like the recipe for a player who could well be camp/cut-fodder down the line if he doesn't outproduce one of the guys ahead of him? If the Panthers were willing to part with someone like Mike Goodson for cheap (6th or 7th), I would be far more interested (even in spite of his fumble-issues last season which would need to be something worked on with him in camp) because he adds a dimension to our running back corps we don't presently have, adds ST value, and being that Chud is his current OC, he's already familiar with an extremely similar offense to our own.

6. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Todman was good, he had great potential - Minnesota wouldn't have claimed him off our PS if he didn't. The problem is, like many NCAA RB's, he didn't come into the pro's with a capable pass-blocking skill-set and due to injuries we didn't have the luxury of carrying him on the active roster for his ST value alone.

The other thing is that the "gamble" on a UDFA is far less than a gamble on Dixon. Because while we know what Dixon is capable of we also know his deficiencies and that they're likely not going to go away (the man just got surprassed and has been continually 'upgraded' on his own team by one of the most "run-emphasized" staffs in the league). Are there more questions surrounding a UDFA pickup? Sure. But the investment cost is also significantly lower.

7. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Tolzien, I liked what I seen out of him but I really trust Harbaughs decision as a good QB. However, with Tolzien on the bench why is he not better than Alex Smith?

8. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    Name the last UDFA rookie quarterback that beat out the incumbent starter.
    Harbaugh is good at developing quarterbacks, but I'm pretty sure he's likely spending a little
    more time developing a quarterback that he actually drafted (Kaepernick).

That being said, I wouldn't mind us getting a hold of Tolzien somehow, to be our "judge".