1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

S Jermaine Phillips to Visit the Chargers

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by TheBeast, Mar 3, 2009.

1. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/sports/story/phillips-begins-search-for-new-home/

Awesome, I've always said he has been the best safety on the market.

He's visiting the Puddlehawks also.

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    I don't know about the best safety on the market, I happen to think Sean Jones has that honor. Phillips is no slouch though.

2008 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.
    Grade: 69 | Key
    Alert: None

Comment: Phillips has excellent size for the position, but has struggled to stay healthy for a whole season. He is more effective the closer he lines up to the line of scrimmage. He can struggle in deep zones and is a little slow to react and break on the ball. He is just adequate in transition and tends to take extra steps to get realigned and to drive on the ball. He shows decent route recognition and does a good job of reading the quarterback's eyes to get a jump on the ball. He plays with good leverage on the ball and does a good job of coming downhill to make plays at, or close to, the line of scrimmage. He seems to be improving in his open-field tackling skills. He is aggressive in run support and will insert himself with abandon. While he is not an elite strong safety, he has become an adequate starter who does more than just carry his own weight in the secondary.

3. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Love it.

AJ better not let this guy get away.

4. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I like it too after seeing what Tampa fans were saying about him. Basically that after dumping guys like Brooks that he should be the one guy they keep. Sounds like an AJ type of signing. However we did torch that secondary in Tampa didn't we? :icon_huh:

5. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    Phillips was out that game with a broken forearm.

6. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Does he hit hard? Make people who dare try to cross the middle weep?

If so - sign him up!

7. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Please gawd don't fail us. :icon_bow::bow::helm1:

8. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Who is he going to replace????

9. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    Git R Done!:flag:

10. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Hart.

11. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Oh good, thanks masetro. Well if that's the case, let's bring him in here! Gotta be an upgrade over Hart!

12. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    this would be my favorite signing in awhile

13. boltmanbz

Ratings:
    +86
    Bucs safety visits Chargers
    By Kevin Acee

Posted: 3:10 p.m. Tuesday March 3, 2009
    0 Comments

Free agent strong safety Jermaine Phillips visited the Chargers today.

Phillips, who will turn 30 this month and has a history of injuries, is considered one of the top safeties in the free agency class.

A fifth-round draft pick by Tampa Bay in 2002, he became the Buccaneers' starter during the 2003 season but has started every game in a season just once. He suffered two broken arms last season and started just 11 games. He also missed one start in 2007, three in 2005 and six in 2004.

The Buccaneers are reportedly still trying to sign Phillips (6-2, 220), who is scheduled to visit Seattle next.

14. boltmanbz

Ratings:
    +86
    Chargers make pitch for hard-hitting safety

Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009
    By Casey Pearce, Chargers.com
    Unrestricted free agent safety Jermaine Phillips, who is considered one of the top defensive backs available this spring, spent Monday and Tuesday at Chargers Park visiting with team officials.

“Jermaine is a talented, physical veteran and we were excited to have an opportunity to get to know him better,” Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith said. “He’s played a role on some very good defenses. We enjoyed visiting with him.”

Phillips (6-2, 220) spent each of his first seven NFL seasons with the Buccaneers. He’s started 64 games over the last five seasons. In his last two years as Tampa Bay’s starting strong safety, he intercepted seven passes and was a key part of Monte Kiffin’s defense.

Philips was drafted by Tampa Bay in 2002 and was a key special teams contributor during his first two NFL seasons. He assumed a starting job in 2004 after John Lynch signed with the Denver Broncos. In 2007, he set a career high with four interceptions and picked off three passes in 11 games last season before a broken arm landed him on "Reserve-Injured."

15. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    me too, plus this team needs somebody from the U to straighten out these off the field issues. but seriously this guys the real deal. let him share time with oliver and the secondary actually looks really good

16. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    he spent two days? that's an interesting sign

17. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    This would be an excellent signing. Pick up another safety late in the draft & we could have some decent competition at TC.

18. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Most of the Buc fans want him back (one guy bashed him though) and they view him as one of their best defenders.

I hope this doesn't end up like that KR deal a few years back where the player used us to get a better deal with his original team.

19. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +687
    I hope it happens, but T-Man is gonna be bummed his boy will get pushed out.

20. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Fuk 'em.

We're so friggin soft up the middle it's scary.

21. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +155
    If all you want is someone who hits hard, let's put Jamal in at Safety. :lol:

22. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Get er done AJ, get 'er done!!!

23. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    I was thinking the same thing when I read that earlier Ant. A banger that can actually help defend against the pass? Too good to believe IMO. I've got an old tape of the Beatles version of "Let It Be" playing on continuous loop in my head. ;)

24. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    HAHAHA

If he had more speed I'd consider it, if only to watch him destroy teeny tiny wide-outs :lol:

Jamal: Hey! Get outta the middle you!
    WR: Who me?
    Jamal: Yeah you! This is my turf *squish* Game Over.

25. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Igor..

26. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
  27. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    [​IMG]
    Hart

28. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    I was excited to see this. IMO this would be the biggest impact FA signing we would have made since Donnie. Phillips is a GOOD safety and a marked upgrade over Hart. He is big, athletic, big hitter......the only downsides are that he is already 30 and he has a history of injuries. I think he would make a world of difference to our secondary though. We aren't talking about an average safety here like McCree...We're talking about an impact player.

That being said, I'm worried that Tampa is going to throw more money at him to keep him....or Seattle will start throwing silly money at him. It would be nice to add him to the mix.

29. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    I'm gonna nut over him too. Bring him AJ, do it and do it quick. Actually I do remember seeing this guy and he was quietly making plays in the few games I saw (I want to say Denver, New Orleans?) and he's gotta be an upgrade over Hart.

30. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Might remind us of Rodney. That would be a good thing.