1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

S. Philips, Problems with the law...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by TBF, Apr 27, 2009.

1. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    Click here to view.

SAN DIEGO -- 10News has confirmed through San Diego Police that Chargers linebacker Shaun Phillips was charged with misdemeanor battery, stemming from an early morning brawl at the Ivy Hotel on Sunday.

Officers said that Phillips assaulted another person at the downtown nightspot.

Witnesses also told 10News that other Chargers players were involved.

10News contacted the Chargers and they aren't commenting.

We're working on the story now and will have full details today on 10News At Five.

All I have to say is WTF :icon_huh: ?

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    Damnit wtf?

3. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    More info from NBC.... Ugh! http://www.nbcsandiego.com/sports/football/chargers/Charger-Charged.html

A star player with the San Diego Chargers faces criminal charges after an incident at a high-end downtown hot spot, according to San Diego police.

Bolts linebacker Shaun Phillips will face a misdemeanor battery charge for his alleged role in an incident that took place at the Ivy Hotel early on Sunday morning. San Diego police spokeswoman Monica Munoz said the incident began as an altercation that did not involve Phillips but that the Chargers player later punched a security guard in the face..

Munoz said Phillips was cited and released after the alleged assault at about 1 a.m. at the tony hotel on F Street between 6th and 7th avenues.

Police said Phillips is also accused of a similar incident on April 11 at Stingaree. He allegedly punched and choked a security guard at the Gaslamp nightclub, also at 1 a.m.

Investigators said both cases are being referred to the city attorney.

4. ChargerJeff

ChargerJeff Boltaholic

Ratings:
    +352
    And More...

SAN DIEGO — Chargers player Shaun Phillips was cited for misdemeanor battery early Saturday morning after a security guard at a downtown rooftop bar said the linebacker hit him in the face, police said.

The incident was reported about 1 a.m. at the Ivy Hotel on F Street, San Diego police said.

Police spokeswoman Monica Munoz said there was a brawl at the bar that precipitated the incident. She said Chargers players were not involved in the fight.

It was the second time this month that Phillips, 27, was involved in a battery case, police said.

Officers said that on April 11, a security guard at Stingaree on Sixth Avenue said that Phillips choked and punched him. The guard did not report the incident until several hours later.

Phillips was named as a suspect in that case but was not arrested or cited, Munoz said.

Phillips denied that he had anything to do with the incident at the Ivy.

“It was somebody else's mishap. It had nothing to do with me or my teammates,” Phillips said.

He confirmed that he received a citation and said the officer was “just doing his job based on one person's account.”

“There is video of the whole thing, and it won't show me anywhere in the vicinity,” Phillips said.

He also said that the incident at Stingaree was “another misunderstanding” and pointed out that he was not cited or taken into custody.

He said fingers are pointed at him only because he is a “recognizable face.”

“You don't see me in handcuffs, don't see me in the back of a police car,” Phillips said.”

Chargers management has not issued a statement about the incidents.

Phillips has been with the team since 2004.

link

5. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    "Shut up and Play, Shaun"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  6. BajaBolt

BajaBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +14
    Well this makes me feel a little better. Let's hope the video doesn't lie and Phillips is exonerated.

7. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    We'll see. If there is a video and it exonerates him, then no harm done.

If not, I'm even more happy than I already was about English.

8. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Probably bummed about the drafting of his potential replacement.

9. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I certainly hope he's telling the truth - innocent until proven guilty so it's time to wait and see how it all shakes out.

It does make the English pick make even more sense tho if the FO knew about the April 11th incident...

10. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +349
    I know these millionaires are young, and want to have fun, but got to their priorities together.

I'll be curious to see what the tape shows.

11. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Did some drunken idiot ask him how he feels about a replacement? I'd might've pop the dude too. Other Chargers...****, someone had to be smart enough to see how this would look. Why don't these guys ever think everything through?
    It's kind of frustrating being a fan of these guys when they can't be effective role models.

• Like Like x 2
  12. ChargerJeff

ChargerJeff Boltaholic

Ratings:
    +352
    It happened Sat morning @ 1AM - so it was before the draft

13. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Drafting English has more to do with Shaun's lack of production on the field than his non-sense off of it.

Shaun has flies. :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Oh, still this type of **** is getting old.

15. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Security guards/Bouncers can be jerks and that's just a fact. With how people are sue happy, it wouldn't surprise me that Phillips was baited into this whole fiasco.

16. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I think's Shaun's dip in production might be related to his off the field problems. Dude better pull his **** together. People were thinking that English was a potential replacement for Merriman. But I think it's more likely that he could be Phillips' replacement.

• Like Like x 1
  17. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Yep. :yes:

*rep*

18. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    You have a valid point but this is his second run-in with the law this month. Not a good sign.

19. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    Boy, he must really hate security guards.

20. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Neither case has been substantiated, when the final result's are in then we can crucify him.:icon_toast:

21. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

:icon_toast: I agree.

It would probably be best for Shaun to stay out of the nightclubs for a bit though. These accusations will only serve to make him a bigger target for drunk idiots and oversensitive security guards.

22. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    rent a cop security guards are not the law, they just wish they were.

23. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Innocent until proven guilty but worst case scenario it doesn't sound that bad. Shouldn't be much more than a suspension and/or fine.

24. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Not good :no: