1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Safety prospect wants to play with Weddle

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Bolts4lyfe, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    Written by

Michael Gehlken

Two years ago, Harrison Smith watched Eric Weddle watch Peyton Manning.​
    He saw the Chargers free safety track the quarterback's eyes and undercut a route intended for Reggie Wayne. Weddle intercepted the pass and returned it for a touchdown, part of a Monday Night Football win over the Colts.​
    Smith, a former Notre Dame safety, watched Weddle play from afar.​
    He wouldn't mind coming to San Diego for a closer look.​
    The Chargers are exploring their options to add a strong safety into the starting mix, and Smith and Alabama's Mark Barron are considered the best prospects in the 2012 draft class.​
    Should the chance come, Smith says he'd relish sharing a secondary with Weddle, a first-team All-Pro player in 2011.​
    “That'd be exactly what I would want,” Smith, 22, said. “That would be more than I ever could ask for. Being able to play alongside a guy who's already been to a Pro Bowl, who's gone through the steps I want to go through, he'll have advice that no one else will have.​
    “Just being around a guy and learning his habits, what he does on a weekly basis, how to be a pro, would be huge. Hopefully I'll be lucky to have a guy, even if I end up not going to the Chargers, just wherever I go, if there's a guy there who's like Eric Weddle — which there's not a lot of — that'd be a blessing.”​
    Smith-to-San Diego could take some maneuvering to execute.​
    Same rings true for Barron.​
    The Chargers own the 18th overall pick Thursday, and they don't anticipate Barron falling that far, sources said Monday. Smith, meanwhile, is projected to go in the late first or early second round.​
    To take Barron, a projected top-15 pick, they would have to trade up.​
    To take Smith, they can possibly move back in the first or trade up later.​
    Free-agent acquisition Atari Bigby, who has 35 career starts, and Darrell Stuckey, a third-year vet and special teams ace, currently compose the depth chart at strong safety.​
    During the major checkpoints of the pre-draft process, the Chargers have kept tabs on Smith.​
    General Manager A.J. Smith watched the Irish captain in January at the Senior Bowl and then again in April during his pro day. In between, Harrison Smith met with team staff at the February combine in Indianapolis, the same city where Weddle picked Manning on a Monday night.​
    Smith, a versatile defender who started 47 of 51 career games in South Bend, including 15 at linebacker, says he answered questions, discussed plays and remembers “feeling good after the meeting."​
    He has a vision, though.​
    One that'd make him feel even better.​
    “Hopefully five years from now, a kid will be having this conversation, and instead of talking about Eric Weddle, they'll talk about me,” Smith said. “I want to be a difference maker, a guy who creates turnovers, makes tackles — kind of runs the show on the back end of the defense. That's what people expect safeties to do: be a difference maker.”​
    Watch and learn.​

2. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,410
    Here, let me help....... ;)

Safety prospect wants to play with Weddle
    Written by
    Michael Gehlken

Two years ago, Harrison Smith watched Eric Weddle watch Peyton Manning.
    He saw the Chargers free safety track the quarterback's eyes and undercut a route intended for Reggie Wayne. Weddle intercepted the pass and returned it for a touchdown, part of a Monday Night Football win over the Colts.​
    Smith, a former Notre Dame safety, watched Weddle play from afar.​
    He wouldn't mind coming to San Diego for a closer look.​
    The Chargers are exploring their options to add a strong safety into the starting mix, and Smith and Alabama's Mark Barron are considered the best prospects in the 2012 draft class.​
    Should the chance come, Smith says he'd relish sharing a secondary with Weddle, a first-team All-Pro player in 2011.​
    “That'd be exactly what I would want,” Smith, 22, said. “That would be more than I ever could ask for. Being able to play alongside a guy who's already been to a Pro Bowl, who's gone through the steps I want to go through, he'll have advice that no one else will have.​
    “Just being around a guy and learning his habits, what he does on a weekly basis, how to be a pro, would be huge. Hopefully I'll be lucky to have a guy, even if I end up not going to the Chargers, just wherever I go, if there's a guy there who's like Eric Weddle — which there's not a lot of — that'd be a blessing.”​
    Smith-to-San Diego could take some maneuvering to execute.​
    Same rings true for Barron.​
    The Chargers own the 18th overall pick Thursday, and they don't anticipate Barron falling that far, sources said Monday. Smith, meanwhile, is projected to go in the late first or early second round.​
    To take Barron, a projected top-15 pick, they would have to trade up.​
    To take Smith, they can possibly move back in the first or trade up later.​
    Free-agent acquisition Atari Bigby, who has 35 career starts, and Darrell Stuckey, a third-year vet and special teams ace, currently compose the depth chart at strong safety.​
    During the major checkpoints of the pre-draft process, the Chargers have kept tabs on Smith.​
    General Manager A.J. Smith watched the Irish captain in January at the Senior Bowl and then again in April during his pro day. In between, Harrison Smith met with team staff at the February combine in Indianapolis, the same city where Weddle picked Manning on a Monday night.​
    Smith, a versatile defender who started 47 of 51 career games in South Bend, including 15 at linebacker, says he answered questions, discussed plays and remembers “feeling good after the meeting."​
    He has a vision, though.​
    One that'd make him feel even better.​
    “Hopefully five years from now, a kid will be having this conversation, and instead of talking about Eric Weddle, they'll talk about me,” Smith said. “I want to be a difference maker, a guy who creates turnovers, makes tackles — kind of runs the show on the back end of the defense. That's what people expect safeties to do: be a difference maker.”​
    Watch and learn.​

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    Sounds good to me

4. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Thanks Blue, I almost gave myself a seizure trying to read the OP.

Trade back in the first and move up in the 2nd (Cleveland?) and take Smith at 22? Could be a good move to make. I wonder if we'd be better off drafting our passrusher at 36, and our Safety at 22, than hoping he falls. Is Smith the 22nd best player in this draft? No idea. Could be a terribad reach.

5. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    Based off of Mayocks top 100 Harrison Smith #28

I'd rather move back to get him. Would I be upset if we took him at 18? That depends on who is still there and only if I like him better than who else is available at that moment

6. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,410
    If rumors are to be believed, the Pats will use both 1st rounders on a pass rusher. The pickings might be very slim once you get to the 2nd round.

7. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I don't see the Colts, Rams, or Vikings taking a pass rusher, what about the Giants? I think between our selection and the Patriots there are two teams thought to be looking at potential 3-4 OLB prospects, Chicago and Tennessee. My question would be, even if NE does take two, what is the dropoff from whoever we would have selected at 18, and the 4th best passrusher behind him?

8. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    If we take him at 18, Vinny Curry better be there at 49 otherwise i'm gonna be pissed. I'd much rather move back and take him or move up and take him. Doesnt seem like he is going to make it out of the first.

9. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I think alot of it depends on what the Browns do at 4. If they take Richardson (chuckle), they might be looking to take a receiver with their second pick, but would be risking getting past receiver starved Cincinatti at 21 and Tennessee at 22. The Bears getting Marshall could bone the imperativeness of this trade, but if Cleveland believes they can get an impact receiver, i.e. Wright or Floyd, only by advancing to past Chi, Ten, and Cin, then we could put ourselves in a more favorable position, as there doesn't seem likely to be anyone available at 18 who would be better than at 22.

10. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,410
    That's a good question........ we'll just have to see how it plays out on draft day.

11. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    Matt Lights retirement can play pretty in us moving back with the Patriots if Glenn, Adams and Martin are there which they should be

So many questions :eek:

12. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    Maybe but the Chargers don't necessarily have to pick someone in the first or even the second round. There are some decent prospects later in the rounds like Beguette from Arkansas and Wilber from Wake Forrest along with better known ones like Massaquoi from Troy. The Chargers do have their top three spots already filled out and its doubtful that any rookie unless they are just Merriman x2 would crack the starting line up.

Re the Pats I wonder very much if this isn't the year they trade their firsts for one and go out to get a big time pass rusher. I know there's alot of pass rushers available right around our spot, so I'm wondering if they trade with us

13. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    Not sure what we trade but maybe trade our 18th and 2nd as well as a future for both New England 2 first round picks

14. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,410
    A. Providing English can actually play this year.

B. AJ has done deals with the Pats in the past, so that wouldn't surprise me.

15. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,378
    [​IMG].....subtle as a sledgehammer as usual BLEW.

16. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +271
    If we look to take a pass rusher in rounds 2 or 3 i really like bruce irvin from west virginia.. 6 3 250 4.50 40 at the combine and he plays to that speed on tape.. dude is an athletic freak

17. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Dude has a small frame for 250, he's a poor mans Andre Branch with more character concerns.

18. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +271
    branch is 1 inch taller and 10 lbs heavier so yeah bruce irvin is a little bit smaller but i dont think you could compare andre branch to irvin athletically

19. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    You're right - Branch is far more athletic.

20. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +271
    :roflmao: its hardly even debatable

21. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Again - I agree.

22. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +271
    Hahahaha nd let me guess andrew luck is more athletic then rg3?

23. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    A straw man argument doesn't change my opinion.

Thanks for playing.

24. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +271
    theres no point in me trying to change your ignorant opinion, theres no hope for you when it comes to judging a prospects athleticism

25. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    You're so hurtful, AJ.

26. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I can as players though, they are both undersized speed dependent rushers who get over powered in the run game. I'll take Branch because I trust his work ethic and character more.

27. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    Speaking of safeties, Nick Collins was released by the Pack. If he ever gets healthy he's a decent player.

28. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    He was released because he may never play in the NFL again

29. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I hear he has a bigger penis. At this point, that statement has as much substance as this conversation.