1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Saints Signing WR Robert Meachem May Have Hurdles

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Sweets, Jun 23, 2007.

1. Sweets

Sweets BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +28
    WR Robert Meachem is the last of the Saints seven draft picks to be signed by the team. Meachem's contract will be determined by what the Chiefs' first-round pick Dwayne Bowe is able to negotiate. But Meachem may have another hurdle to jump in contract talks. Meachem showed up overweight and out of shape. Then he aggravated an old knee injury during the last day of minicamp. His rehab will have him ready by training camp, but the Saints may not be willing to pay him as much as they were ready to do before the injury.

Source: Larry Holder, Sun Herald

2. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    :icon_rofl: "Oz"

Meachem sounds exactly like the type of player that AJ would avoid. Some of these rookies crack me up. They think they can just show up and play in the NFL. :no:

3. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    So far that's two Wide Recievers drafted ahead of us who so far don't appear to be performing as advertised. Once Davis gets established, all those talking sports heads will be speaking from the other side of their mouths. Bowe and Meacham just might be first class mistakes.

4. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Let's not be so quick to judge these guys. People from other teams could look at Davis' groin injury and point out the pre-draft concerns about his toughness and durability.

It is way too early to be jumping to conclusions.

5. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Good points. I agree, lets get to TC first before we say who we should be glad we didnt get.

Im sure KC is glouting that our guy has a bad groin and is looking forward to what Bowe can do for them.

6. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Some dude on this forum was slobbering all over this Wr's knob. I can't remember who it was but somebody was pining hard for him here before the draft. I think it was RIP but I am not sure. Anyway, I am glad we did not get him.

7. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    Glouting? :icon_huh:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    The guy showed up overweight and out of shape.

What more is needed than the above to suggest, no fuc that, state implicitly that the dude is a POS.

I do not buy (not that I was in the market) the arguement it is premature to judge a rookie WR who shows up fat and out of shape for his first camp.

Maybe these days one needs a police record to nudge fans over the edge.

9. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    You know what i meant. But...if it bothers you so....Gloating! ;)

10. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    Actually, I didn't. But now I do. :icon_toast:

11. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886

They speak a little funny down south, maybe it crosses over to reading???:bolt2:

12. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    We talk just fine down here, thank you very much! :lol: We just put a few extra syllables in the words sometimes.

13. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    I know all ya all think we talk funny but that's just not true. :no:

14. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    To each his own, Trumpie. I was never a big fan of Meachem, but there have been a lot of good NFL players who started their career on a bad note.

In case you guys weren't aware, Marquis Colston showed up to Saints minicamp last year overweight and out of shape. But Colston quickly realized his mistake and had a great rookie season.

15. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    That's why I said so far. Reporting to camp overweight and out of shape is a bit of a tell. Davis's groin wasn't real serious and, if I remember right, it was a precautionary team decision to go easy with him for a bit. I was a fan of Bowe's before the draft, but now the pre draft critiques are looking more valid. Training camp will sort them out, all right, but at the moment AJ's judgement looks consistent. I doubt that Meacham will be a wasted pick, but so far he doesn't have that hungry look you like in your #1 pick and his physical situation is liable to complicate negotiations. I would wager that Davis will be in camp a lot sooner than Meacham or Bowe, so he'll be in a position to make contributions earlier. Long term, we'll know in a couple of years.

16. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    For every Colston, there are a hundred dudes like Mike Wiliams who showed up overweight and stayed overweight.

This is about character and committment to the NFL. It is not often you get a second chance to redeem yourself and to show up to camp overweight and out of shape may have flown decades ago but not today.

I call it "Strike One" not "Ball One".

17. Buttmunch

Buttmunch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    True, but then again Colston wasn't a high draft pick...he was picked in the 7th. Most were thinking scrub at the time. If you are a 1st rounder, you owe it to yourself, the team/organization and the fans to do everything possible to warrant that pick short of your actual performance on the field. Showing up like that is nothing but disrespect....one of the veterans should b*tch slap him and tell him to act like a professional since he's no longer in school.

Just my two lowly pennies.

18. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    And I would argue the opposite. A first-rounder is guaranteed a roster spot, Colston needed to do whatever he could to be in position to make the team.

But that is all moot. For the record, I agree that it IS a red flag for Meachem. But like Boltjolt said, I prefer to wait until TC (and probably much longer) before labeling anybody a "bust" or a "POS".

19. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    Trumpy, you don't know chiat about college ballers... wait until the bullets start flying for real before striking the guy out...:icon_rofl:

hell, Davis can't get on the field....

34 days until TC....

20. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    If it walks like a duck ... dude.

This is not all that hard to figure out.

I swear some of you are just too lax or something ? :icon_shrug:

I do not hear this kind of **** from people who actually attend every god damn game. :no: :tdown:

Maybe it is because some of you guys do not spend enough hard earned cash at every Spanos *** raping called Chargers football we have endured for decades.

NUT up and say "enough is EFFING enough".

These MO-FO's are ready from jump street or they can fuc off back to whatever rock they almost graduated from and bring me ballers. Fuc this limp dicked attitude of lets sit back and see what happens because of blah blah blah....fuc that.

ON your mark, get set and go mother effer. No excuses.

21. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    If you are going to speak southern, then learn to spell southern words.

Is is spelled: Y'all

Not: Ya All

And my fav: All Y'all

Now pass the damn grits and fried okra! :icon_tease:

22. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886

Been here in NC since 99, there are still times I have no clue what someone is saying to me. Kerr drugs to me is not pronounced "Kar", but what the hell, I just go with the flow.:bolt2:

• Like Like x 1