1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Saints Vs. Colts

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,610
    True, but he didn't help himself one bit by just dancing like an idiot behind good block when they were there.

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,171
    that hardly ever helps.

When their line was opening holes, they had the old, slow back in there... :icon_huh:

3. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    The Saints defense is also a major problem.

I'm not talking about the secondary either, although that was really bad. People here worry about Jammer, DFlo, Cromartie, Hart, and McCree? We saw a totally ****** secondary tonight. Nevertheless, Peyton can give most any secondary fits if given 8 seconds most of the night to find a WR. So the pass rush and QB pressure has a role.

I'm really talking about the Saints giving up 160 yards rushing! 5.5 yards per rush. How many teams do you know win a ball game giving up that many rushing yards?

Throw in the fact that both Bush and Deuce had less than 40 yards rushing and averaged 3.8 ypc or less and that compounds the problem.

I've heard it said that if you can't run the ball, and can't stop the run, you will lose every time. Nowhere was that truer than tonight's game.

4. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,171
    I dont know, first game of the season, against a team like the Colts. I thoguht they did pretty well to keep Manning from getting rolling until the second half. They will bounce back, I stand behind what I said. I think they are a playoff team.

5. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    They might make the playoffs, but they'll never beat the Colts, Steelers, Ravens, Chargers, and Patriots teams of the world unless they can stop the run and create some pass rush.

I can see the Saints losing to the Titans and Jags this year. Maybe even the Texans! The entire AFC South. That is unless they get their run defense and pass rush in gear.

The Saints lost to 3 of the 4 AFC North teams last year: Steelers, Ravens, and Bengals. They couldn't stop their rushing attacks nor put pressure on their QBs with any real success. They barely beat the Browns last year!

They lost to the Ravens giving up 137 yards rushing and getting only 35 rushing yards themselves.

They lost to the Steelers giving up 213 yards rushing to Willie Parker and Deuce only gained 56 yards while Reggie had around 30 yards.

The lost to the Bengals giving up 111 yards rushing to Rudi Johnson, and 91 yards themselves between Reggie (51 yards) and Deuce (40 yards).

Then tonight. Already stated.

If they ever want to beat a good AFC team, they need to run the ball well and stop the run. No big secret.

6. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,171
    I am not suggesting they will beat the upper echelon of AFC teams, but I think they are a better team than tonight showed.

Playing the colts, and some of the other teams you mentioned takes a team out of their 'normal' playing modes. You have to cover more, and sometimes it breaks you down.

That is all I am saying is that it appeared to me that the Saints were playing well, but once Peyton got hot, the Colts D pinned the ears back and both sides of the Saints ball had to start back pedaling.

7. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    If the Saints were able to stop the Colts from running, they could have blitzed much more often and done all sorts of things to Peyton to prevent him getting into "the zone".

At least their secondary wouldn't have been left high and dry, at the mercy of a Peyton Manning who had all day to throw.

We did that the last time we played them. We stopped their running attack. That allowed Wade to blitz the hell out of them with Merriman, Phillips, and Foley. Peyton wasn't sure what the hell to do most of the game.

The Steelers ripped our game plan for that playoff game and it was like deja vu watching Steelers-Colts in the playoffs.

The Saints will beat their share of NFC teams. They do face 12 of them. I think they'll beat probably 10 of them. But going up against the Titans and Jags later? I'm not so sure the Saints will beat them. They might even lose to the Texans!

8. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    So I am rolling through the Dallas airport a few hours ago on a transfer out of San Antonio and see the game is tied 10-10.

Of course I yell out "All Mannings SUCK" and I get this "look" from the crowd. The only thing I could think of was FUC everyone in this airport and get me the fuc home. :yes:

9. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,171
    I don't see them losing to the Texans, and possibly not even the Titans with their defensive losses. But hell, any given Sunday, right?

10. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Right now, the Saints are beginning to look like the 1982 - 1986 Chargers.

High powered offense that can rip you for 40 points, but where the hell is that defense and pass rush to hold a team under 20?

How well did the Chargers do those years with that philosophy?

11. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +629
    WeclomeBack.
    DrewLookedLikeShit.
    MyKeyBoardIsFukd.SpaceNoWork.
    SonSpilledMomsCoffeeOnKeyboard:glare:
    TimeForNewKeyboard.

12. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054
    Drew has quite a few more games left this season to redeem himself...

13. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,171
    I think it is short sighted at best to judge the Saints defense off of one game, especially if that game is against the Colts. But I dont have a dog in the hunt, I stated I think they will be a playoff team and that is as far as my interest in the Saints go.

Quite a few people prognosticated about how bad the Saints would be lst season, very few have manned up and said they were wrong. I do not see last season as a fluke as many do.

14. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,171
    Yup

15. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Pffttt....So I predicted Drew's arm would fall off ala Dave Dravecky
    ....."keeerrr pop" or it would be found at the 50 yard line dis embodied like a lizards tail wriggling uncontrollably :yes: and ?

16. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Look at most of their losses last season, and include tonight. What is the common theme in nearly all of them?

1.) Can't run the ball

2.) Can't stop the run

3.) No pass rush to pressure the QB, instead giving him all day to find his WR.

Drew Brees passed for 350, 400, even 500 yards in some of those losses. Yet those 3 things above doomed the team.

17. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    New Orleans sucked *** against quality opponents last year.

This year, the Saints do not get the Katrina hand jobs and get exposed for the pieces of **** that the Saints are famous for being....a QB graveyard. Archie Manning was the stupiest mother on the face of the earth playing for those teams. They sucked then and they suck now as well.

18. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    I honestly think the NFC might be even worse than initially thought.

The Saints looked like a young team that has bought into their own hype.

And if I was a Saints fan, I think I'd be about ready for Reggie Bush to actually do something in the league besides make TV commercials. As much as the Manning hype nauseates me, at least Peyton has accomplished things... won a championship, set a bunch of records, things like that. What the hell has Bush done to earn the kind of hype he's getting?

And remember---I'm a guy who likes Bush. But what I saw tonight is a kid who is not playing even close to his hype-level.

19. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    In nearly all of the Saints losses last year and tonight, they didn't win in the trenches. You know what the result is nearly every time when that happens. Pain and suffering for the loser.

20. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    The Colts run D looks to be the 2006 postseason version, not the 2006 regular season version. The version that held Larry Johnson to 32 yards, that held Jamal Lewis to 53 yards, the version that held the Patriots to just 93 yards, the version that held the Bears to under 100 yards until late in the 4th quarter.

The Saints run D is the same old giving up 125+ yards per game as it always has been. It might be even a little worse. We need to see some more games to find out.

21. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,760
    Wow, what a stinker that was. The saint's were turned inside out on all point's of attack. :bolt:

22. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +441
    Wow, just finished with the game. Talk about getting whipped. How does the Colts starting corner for the last how many years get burned so bad?. I mean, was he as bad in practice when trying to cover Reggie. I just don't gettit. I know the Saints had little or no pass rush but c'mon somebody help that guy out. He got his pants pulled down for the whole world to see, poor guy.

Hey and did that #54 remind u of anyone?. I kept thinking Stephen Cooper every time that guy made a play. What a game Keiaho had?, surely some of u Aztec fans knew all about him?.......

I always thought Deuce was slow but jeeeeeez he looked like he was dressed in concrete last nite. As for Bush, I'm gonna give him a pass, he cannot be that bad all the time.

I'm not going to comment on Brees..... If I recall last time he played the RCA dome he did alright, can't be all on him.

23. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan New Member

Ratings:
    +288
    Saints are in trouble, their oline stinks and their LB corp stinks which exposes how bad their secondary is :yes:

24. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976
    Of course they make the playoff's. Its the NFC.

25. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,610
    On a postive note, Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark are on my fantasy team and they scored me a big fat 32 points last night.

Thanks ****** saints D!!! :thumbup:

26. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    The Saints had the light turned on them...and their skills were exposed. The Saints O-line didn't look like it was good at run blocking, and Brees was forced to check down every time I looked at the tv. The Colts D came to play, and the Saints barely showed up at all.

27. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    Cause all Reggie does is dance in the backfield. the dude is WAY overhyped. He is one dimensional. He can only run outside. And he can't catch a ball worth a damn. I've never seen a player hyped as much who delivers so little. I don't think you'll find many teams (at least in the AFC) who are truly afraid of Bush. I think he still thinks he's in college and thinks he can juke out the defenders.

28. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    wow you truly see the glass half full.

That defense sucked no matter how you look at it.

The colts were just rusty in the first half.

Oh and Brees will ALWAYS choke in a big game. Why was I not surprised that he fumbled the ball away.....AGAIN!!?

29. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,171
    Rusty?

HA!

Not hardly.

30. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    Bush was a great college player and that's about where it stops. He wont be a bust but wont be the player he's hyped up to be.