1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Saints win, Refs with the assist

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Oct 26, 2008.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I'm sorry but I need to say this bluntly

While we lost, the refs deserve at least something in terms of 'credit'

I can not believe how we got screwed on calls ranging from the Cletis Gordon PI and the Weddle 'non-interception interception' to the Rivers 'spike the ball' penalty. A ton of big time calls went against us for reasons I can't comprehend.

This wasn't as bad as Denver and I don't wish to remove blame from the defense and Rivers at the end of the game where it belongs, but the Chargers can't buy a goddamn break. And it seems like almost everytime we are in a close game the refs switch from being semi-neutral to anti-chargers.

2. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    We've gotten screwed a ton, but if we want those breaks to go our way, then we have to start playing better.

3. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Exactly!!! :yes:

4. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    Agreed.:tup:

5. Binary Bolt Fan

Binary Bolt Fan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    Refs with the assist? ...umm, that makes me mad! Which one was coaching or defense? I'm going to give him a piece of my mind! :tdown:

6. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    Ant specifically said he doesn't want to remove blame from our defense, he's just pointing out the fact that the refs made a lot of suspect calls in this game. There was at least one "late hit" call that I completely disagree on, but what's done is done. Even with the suspect calling the defense lost the game.

What I think is funny is that it's painfully obvious how much we relied on Merriman's amazing play. Even with him sitting out this entire season with an injury he'll still be able to command a huge raise, whereas if our defense stepped up and played to the level they did the past two seasons, Shawne may have not even gotten resigned. I'm willing to be though that AJ will be forced to give whatever Shawne asks for.

7. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    The Cletis Gordon PI call really pissed be off, why not kick us while we're down, but overall I have flag happy refs and this was definitely a flag happy crew.

I mean I can see why they called the Rivers spike and even the Weddle interception reversal.

The thing is we still had a shot to win and we should have capitalized on it.

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    agreed, we should (and good teams do) overcome refs trying to bleep us over but seriously the spike was total bs since it wasn't 'throwing the ball away' or 'delaying the game' because the ball was basically at the line of scrimmage and not far from the ref. That was ticky tack. The PI claim was total horseshit top to bottom. The interception I didn't see 'clear and convincing' evidence that it was a drop. I'll even admit there might have been some evidence that the ball hit the ground but I do not see 'clear and convincing' evidence.

9. Binary Bolt Fan

Ratings:
    +3
    Cletus played that perfectly. He's looking back and running the pattern with the receiver. No way is that a PI. Sadly, it seemed other refs were trying to give the flag thrower a chance to admit he blew the call. The PI call on that other play were the receiver slipped and fell was pretty lame too. The receiver ran into the defender and then slipped and fell. How is that a PI?

10. Binary Bolt Fan

Ratings:
    +3
    The Sproles fumble and Jackson's drop on Rivers bomb was more of the big difference than the refs blunders though.

11. NW Bolt Babe

NW Bolt Babe RIP Jr.

Ratings:
    +94
    Or *hankerchiefs* as the English called them.

Indeed, they were flying at an amazing pace today. Will this crew get called on their poor play?

It can't all be laid at their feet, I know that, but theye are paid to do a job properly.

12. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    The Jammer PI? That was a lame call as well. Talking about Jammer I hope he isn't seriously injured.

13. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,928
    looks like it was a big case of cramps

14. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    The 2 PI calls against Jammer and Gordon were BS. But the rest of the stupid bonehead penalties are on us.

15. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    That roughing the passer was BS as well. How was he supposed to stop?

The Saints had at least two times where the defender hit just as late as the Chargers did, yet they called it ONLY against the Chargers.

Not to mention the obvious PI play where the Saints defender was all over our receiver.

These are just a couple of the dozen or more bad calls. If they are going to call everything in the book than be fair, they seemed to call with a huge bias towards the Saints.

I rather none of them be called and they let them play. That celebration penalty was BS as well.

A guy should be able to celebrate and if you can't avoid hitting the QB than that shouldn't be a penalty either. The entire PI thing is messed up and needs to be fixed in the NFL.

This has been the worst year for officiating ever. Something needs to be done, this isn't the only game where the officials messed up.

• Like Like x 1
  16. sdrocks

sdrocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +16

I know we're all frustrated but the chargers got a couple of bogus calls in our favor earlier in the game. The refs were nto a factor, the players were.

• Like Like x 1
  17. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Nope. This loss is on the defense. I'm not giving them an inch of wiggle room on this one.

18. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    REFS SUCKED

Its not that I believe the refs should have the predominent impact on the game but I saw numerous calls against the Chargers when I saw similar offenses not called on the Saints.

We ( Chargers) should have been able to play past bad calls and won the game even if there were bad calls made by the refs. It seemed to me during the game the Chargers were penalized most of the time with BS calls and the Saints were just that Saints and could do no wrong.

My opinion here has no effect on the fact the Chargers coaches and players played a poor game but I think the referreing was one sided. I saw holding calls made by both teams that weren't called and it seemed the Chargers were penalized most when it would have made a difference in the game.

19. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    REFS SUCKED

You wouldn't be talking about the PI against Gordon,would you? :icon_shrug: Or the PI against Jammer when the WR slipped? :yes: My favorite was the non call in the 1st. Q when Shaun Phillips was raped. :tdown:

20. SD Native WY

Ratings:
    +334
    REFS SUCKED

Of course!!:yes:

21. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    REFS SUCKED

I never want to be one griping about the refs, but it seemed pretty bad today. It got to a point where if there wasn't a flag I was surprised.

22. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Not even to Rivers turning the ball over for the second game in a row,late in the 4th.Q. ? :icon_shrug:

23. SD Native WY

Ratings:
    +334
    REFS SUCKED

I agree with you. It seemed like to me after halftime the Chargers were not supposed to win this game becuase everytime it seemed they would get out of a hole they were penalized. This is just a feeling I had.

24. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Nope. Rivers played like a hero all game long. He's allow a bonehead play every now and again.

25. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    A QB shouldn't have to throw a perfect game to win.

There were 6 penalties in the game that directly led to a first down for the saints, and at least two that killed drives in the red zone. Not to mention two 4th down coversions for the saints.

That last pass wasn't good, but Rivers made plenty of great plays to keep us in the game. He appeared to be maybe be the only one besides LT (finally) to show up today. That pass to VJ was perfect!!! How did VJ not catch that ball in stride.

Such is life.

Fire Teddy, get new ILB's and get a good safety all will be well.

26. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +684
    My favorite was when the OT had a fist full of Phillips' jersey and don't call holding but they call roughing the passer on the same play when the guy hit Brees after the ball was released.

That PI in the endzone was a joke. Even the announcers thought it was a ****** call.

27. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    I didn't read the whole game day thread, so maybe I just missed it, but Kassim Osgood's play on the kickoff where he jumped over the wedge and took out two blockers was AWESOME! I know we were losing at the moment but it got me pumped! :tup:

• Like Like x 1
  28. SD Native WY

Ratings:
    +334
    One of many biased calls:yes:

29. SD Native WY

Ratings:
    +334
    It seemed as if the NFL didn't want the Chargers to win

• Like Like x 1
  30. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    That was when the momentum was shifting but I think the Weddle reversal kind of killed the momentum on our side. We still had a chance to win but if Weddle makes that pick we'd be steamrolling in momentum and the Saints defense would have been exhausted just having been out there for 2 consecutive drives.

But I guess that's the way things go.