1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Salary Cap space

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Shamrock, May 7, 2007.

1. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Pre-draft UT story link - 4/29/07

Disclaimer: Article was written by Jerry Magee, and the last time he dabbled in caponomics, he was shown to be a complete baffoon.
    The article doesn't say if the rookie pool is taken out of that $6.486 million.

2007 rookie pool allocations. Chargers = $3.284 million

If the rookie pool was NOT subtracted, AND if Magee's sources are correct, then SD has ......

6.486 - 3.284 = $ 3.202 million available

Another thing that will have to be subtracted are the signing bonuses for UDFA's. Some get $1000, some get $10,000, some get nothing. Just depends on the competition from other teams to sign that player. The Chargers have historically been one of the most aggressive teams in signing UDFA's. This Pastabelly column from 2004 shows SD handed out the most UDFA signing bonuses that year ..... $ 182,500.

So ..... my best guess is that San Diego has roughly $3 million in available salary cap space.

2. myinnerself

myinnerself BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    Jerry Magee is an idiot and he is completely incorrect. We have more than $3 million, I guarantee that.

3. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I seriously doubt that we have much more than $3 million.

The $20'ish million reported a couple months ago did not include the Shaun Phillips extension, Dielman's new deal, the RFA tenders (including $2.35 for Turner) the ERFA's tenders, the $3-4 mill in lost cap space due to NLTBE incentives from 2006, the rookie pool allotment, .......

4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Damn, I hate it when I get down to 3 million, makes me feel near impoverished....:icon_sad:

5. myinnerself

myinnerself BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    I bet we have 6-7 million.

6. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Right now, yes. But when all the rooks are signed (rookie cap pool) then my best guess says it's in the $3 million range.

7. myinnerself

myinnerself BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    Sorry, I was confused. The rookie pool is not, as far as I know, taken out of the Cap, I think that is the whole point behind having the rookie pool. It in a sense extends the cap that much.

8. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    No, the rookie pool is the maximum amount of the team's salary cap that can be allocated to the draft choices and UDFA.

From ESPN on May 7, 2007.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2862869

Oakland's rookie pool of $6.913 million is indeed 6.3 percent of the $109 million overall cap.

So, Shammy is correct in stating that our $6.4 million of cap space, minus the $3.284 million rookie pool, allows us $3.1 million of cap space to sign general FA between now and October.

9. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Yup.

Sometimes the rookie pool is thought of as a "cap within a cap".

10. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321

well, that eliminates just about everyone but a new tee retriever,...:icon_eek: