1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Salary Cap Update

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by O'reilly, Dec 6, 2006.

1. O'reilly

O'reilly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +454
    Salary cap update:

When the season started, the NFL had six teams with salary cap room in excess of $10 million. Today, there is only one, the surprising New Orleans Saints, who have $10.8 million left under the $104 million cap. Even with a high-priced quarterback in Drew Brees and running backs Deuce McAlister and rookie Reggie Bush, the Saints are in great long-term position, considering all the money Tom Benson is saving now.
    The Eagles signed four key young starters and dropped their September salary-cap room from $8.6 million to today’s space of $1.5 million. Pretty good negotiating if Joe Banner and Andy Reid are right about Trent Cole, Reggie Brown, etc.

Here is a complete list of the team’s with the most salary-cap room: Jacksonville with $9.6 million, Kansas City with $8.5 million, Houston with $8 million, Buffalo with $7.2 million, San Francisco with $7.18 million and New England with $6.7 million. The teams with the least amount money, or under $1 million each, are Arizona, Atlanta, Miami, the Giants, Oakland, Pittsburgh and Washington, which has only $115,074.

continued...

• Like Like x 1
  2. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Crazy "Sex" Quote

In case you missed it last week, Bengals defensive tackle Sam Adams has been playing pretty well the past two games. Adams is also probably pushing 350 pounds. He and Atlanta’s Grady Jackson are pushing for the biggest looking lineman in the NFL.

Asked why he’s playing better, Adams responded by saying: "I feel a lot better. I feel like I changed sexes."

You feel like what?

"I feel like I’m a different human being," Adams said.

You changed what?

"Changed sexes," he said. "I’m a different human being right now."

:icon_eek: :icon_rofl: :icon_party:

3. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    BTW, where do the Chargers stand as far as cap space??:icon_shrug: :icon_huh:

4. O'reilly

Ratings:
    +454
    AJ has used the money wisely by tying up young stars and quality backups for the future which sets the team up for a LONG run of success...next years cap is the biggest ever IIRC...it will be well over 110 Million per team and I think we are around $5 Million under this season...The Chargers will be in very good shape although it hasn't been AJ's "mo" to spend a lot in FA...

• Like Like x 1
  5. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    i thought we were something like 19 mil under before the mccree signing... have resignings really pushed us up that much or is the 19 mill inaccurate?

6. O'reilly

Ratings:
    +454
    The re-signings took up a good chunk of what ever the amount was...I'm not sure if the 19 M was the number or not...

7. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    AJ has done a magnificent job of managing cap space, among other things!! :icon_toast:

8. Nomadic Bolt Fan

Nomadic Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    :yes: :tup:

9. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    Lets give some props to Mr. Ed McGuire as well, who is the Chargers Cap Guru. :tup:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Ed McGuire was also the principal architect of the CBA......he knows his **** and is at the top of his class.

11. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Someone needs to adopt AJ and Ed!

12. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    Salary cap will go up to 116mil in 2008.

• Like Like x 1
  13. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I'll adopt A.j. or as we know him "God".

14. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    PM Thumper to hook you up.

15. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    I believe AJ has been adopted. Foobs, check out the adopt a bolt thread for which coaches or staff members are still available.

16. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    UT 11-25-06

17. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
  18. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
  19. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    ah, good looks on this site. i guess i was way off on the 19 mill thing... being only 14 mil under before FA signings and extensions isnt as much as one would think... its kinda amazing how oakland is managing to max out their capacity...

20. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    The Chargers have heavily used "roster bonuses" and higher base salaries in contract extensions. The effect is to have a higher salary cap hit the first year or two on a contract (which quickly eats up available cap space), but not huge hits in the out years. The effect is that the player is relatively cheap (in salary cap terms) in the later years of his contract. Doing this means that player has a higher chance of staying with the club in contract out years, and NOT becoming a salary cap casualty.

The Raiders, Redskins, Dolphins, etc have used large signing bonuses, with small base salaries in early years, and larger base salaries in later years. The effect that has is that most players WILL be salary cap casualties in the out years (beginning after year 3 of the contract). Then, the team continues the cycle with new free agents, always pushing the "bill" to a later date. A rising cap allows this to happen, but you see a constant turnover in your core players, and have difficulty re-signing key young players to a second contract. It also leaves your depth paper thin.

The Raiders and Redskins haven't figured out what AJ has. Keep your good young players, and invest that money in them. Draft well.

Big "name" splashes make headlines in the offseason, but they aren't showing much benefit in the win column during the season.

21. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Hey it's info, I just never said it was good info.