1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Salary Cap?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by darren, Jan 24, 2007.

1. darren

darren BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    does anyone know what the Bolts salary cap space is going to be this coming year?

• Like Like x 1
  2. DjChemical

DjChemical BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    24.6 million i think

• Like Like x 1
  3. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
  4. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    With that list, I bet Asante Samuel is lickin' his chops with two pick 6's in the playoffs, the guy made millions, maybe tens of millions on those two plays. He won't resign with NE, and given how much they need him...........that will be nice to see them draft another rookie at corner in April!!!!

Course Kris Dielman is also sittin pretty with all that money out there to be spent.

5. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
  6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,882
    McCardell's due an option, he won't get it
    D-Flo's contract goes bye bye
    Kiel being cut too
    Mike Goff too maybe
    Bwahoh Jue
    Foley in all likeliness gone

7. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654

Add all these dudes potentially as listed by the UT...

Chargers free agents Unrestricted free agents
    Four or more years of service; They can sign with any team when their contracts expire March 1:

Kris Dielman
    Randall Godfrey
    Donnie Edwards
    Leander Jordan
    Carlos Polk
    Az-Zahir Hakim
    Cory Withrow

Restricted free agents
    Can sign offer sheets with other teams, but the Chargers can keep them by matching the offer within seven days:

Ryon Bingham
    Ryan Krause
    Shaun Phillips
    Michael Turner

Exclusive rights free agents
    Less than three years of service; Chargers must make an offer to them by March 1 or they become unrestricted free agents:

Greg Camarillo
    Malcom Floyd
    Marques Harris
    Derreck Robinson
    Cory Lekkerkerker

8. getfresh

getfresh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6
    They had this figure in the U/T today that doesn't seem right; is it just some techinical figure not taking into account the things we think are going to happen, like what Anteater mentions above?

9. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    You are sure about D-Flo? I don't think so. Dumb as a brick but he will be here next year. Kiel and Goff too IMO. The rest are gone including Keenan.

10. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,468
    Bro I would be PISSED OFF! if we cut Dflo! The guy makes more plays then Jammer. If he could hold his enthusiasim in check he could be a shutdown corner. I know we dont like him at this moment, but get the kid some practice with his hands and he'll lead the NFL in picks next year.

AJ will resighn Dflow, count on it. Even if Cro takes his spot we need a good nickle corner. And hes more then exceptional.

11. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20070128/news_1s28nflcol.html

Cap presents problems

In order to be active in free agency, teams must be advantageously placed vis-a-vis the NFL salary cap, $109 million. Not many are, including the Chargers, according to a source with access to the league's contractual data.

When the NFL Players Association last shared this data with agents, the San Diego club was $22 million under the cap, but the NFLPA had not factored in the $20 million teams must contribute to paying benefits to players. Include this and the Chargers are only $2 million under the cap, which won't get you a lot in this day and age.

The teams best positioned to engage freely in free agency are the 49ers, Cardinals, Bills, Titans, Browns and Patriots. Signings can commence on March 1.

One player who is certain to be enriched: Patriots corner defender Asante Samuel, who played brilliantly, I thought, in the AFC Championship Game. He's an unrestricted free agent, so the team acquiring him would not have to compensate the New England club.

12. loweezy

loweezy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    Please get off your Jammer is not worth a top 5 pick bandwagon.

D-Flo in 2006: 54 Tackles, 13 Pass Deflections, 3 Picks
    Jammer in 2006: 71 Tackles, 14 Pass Deflections, 4 Picks.

13. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,845
    D'headbutt' needs to go elsewhere. Bottom line.

14. loweezy

loweezy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    This was my response to this being posted on Chargers.com...

I find this hard to believe since just about every source prior to this stated how great the Chargers have been in the last couple of years in managing the cap. Going into last offseason the Chargers had a good chunk in change that everyone was screaming for management to use. Did benefits get factored in then? No... So what ultimately happened? We signed McCree, offerred Drew Brees a 10 Mil incentive laden contract (he skipped town so that doesn't factor into the bigger picture now), resigned Jammer, resigned Hardwick, resigned Olivea, resigned Cooper, resigned Wilhelm, signed Cro, signed Big Mac, and signed other rookies, etc. We all have a rough estimate on what their contracts are... and AJ and Ed Maguire were doing all of this with an "eye" on the future. So you think after the cap management of year's past, after not signing any of the "big" free agents of last year, that they'd just somehow blow it on guys we already had signed to contracts, and a couple of rookies? Yeah I know these guys got extensions and new contracts, but none of it adds up if the Chargers truely are in "cap hell." I'd be hardpressed to believe that benefits were something the front office didn't take into account if it were something that needed to be accounted for against the salary cap, as this is something the NFL and the NFLPA can just say hey, buy the way guys "benefits are now part of the salary cap."

15. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,468
    Tell me why, maybe you can change my mind.

16. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,468
    Yeah, Florence hasnt had a shining carrer, yet. I doubt he'll ask to be paid like a big time corner and even if he does he wont get it from anyone until he learns to catch the ball.

His headbutt and his dropped picks this year may have lost him millions in the long haul. I know we want Cro to be amazing, but I think we have 3 future #1 corners on our team right now.

ps I hate the FS idea.:unsure:

17. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    This was already beaten to death in other forums. The figure is most likely wrong. First why would all offical reports say the wrong cap figure. Second this would mean over 50% of NFL teams are in cap hell, some would have to get rid of a huge number of players and wouldnt be able to draft anyone.

Look up Salary Cap it offically says that benefits are not included in more than one source, not going to pull it up you since its posted on a few forums.

Basically if he is right the NFL teams are screwed. Most likely he is more senile than Madden.

18. perhaps

perhaps BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    I got this off www.askthecommish.com. The redskins are in a world of hurt. I'm amazed at how he gets a team together every year.

For the sake of this installment, we have designated teams that are less than $5M under the cap in RED. These are teams that have little money to sign free agents and may need to make cuts or restructure salaries in order to sign all of their draft picks. Teams in BLACK, which are between $5M and $20M under the cap, are teams that look to be in pretty good shape in terms of adding more veterans and signing all of their rookies without having to take drastic measures. Teams in GREEN are teams that are well under the cap and should have plenty of room to sign free agents and rookies. Note that for the first time in years, almost every team in is very good cap shape.

With the latest extension to the CBA, the 2007 salary cap is approximately $109 M, which represents a nice increase over last year's $102 M figure. (Note that the cap was "just" $85.5 M in 2005, the final season prior to the CBA's extension.)

Keep in mind that these numbers remain tentative -- and are changing on a daily basis. These "unofficial" figures are approximate as of January 3 , 2007.

Projected 2007 NFL Salary Cap Space for Each Team

Rank Team $ Under the Cap
    1 San Francisco 49ers $42.1 M

2 Buffalo Bills $39.7 M

3 Arizona Cardinals $36.7 M

4 Tennessee Titans $36 M

5 Cleveland Browns $33.305 M

6 St. Louis Rams $31.98 M

7 Minnesota Vikings $31.5 M

8 Jacksonville Jaguars $31 M

9 Cincinnati Bengals $28.8 M

10 NY Jets $28.455 M