1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

San Diego Chargers 2009 53 Man Roster

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Boltergeist, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    C . . Hardwick, Mruczkowski
    G . . Dielman, Vasquez, Green
    T . . McNeill, Clary, Dombrowski

QB . . Rivers, Volek, Whitehurst
    RB . . Tomlinson, Sproles, G. Johnson, Bennett
    WR . . Jackson, Chambers, Floyd, Osgood, Naanee, Davis
    TE . . Gates, Manumaleuna, Wilson
    FB . . Hester, Tolbert

DT . . Williams, Nwagbuo
    DE . . Castillo, Cesaire, Martin, T. Johnson
    ILB . . Cooper, Burnett, Dobbins, Siler
    OLB . . Merriman, Phillips, Tucker, English, Applewhite

CB . . Cromartie, Jammer, Cason
    S FS . . Weddle, Hart, Gregory, Ellison, Oliver, Spillman
    LS K P Binn, Kaeding, Scifres

Key cuts: Ian Scott, L.J. Shelton, K. Forney

IR- Brandon Hughes, D. Byrd, R. Bingham

A little suprised at the Shelton cut as we are wafer thin at the OT position. I do like the youth movement though with big Brandon Dombrowski

3 CB's is also thin.

I like this team....A lot!

2. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    As I said earlier, we're very thin up front. 6 runningbacks and 6 safeties while we're only holding 6 defensive lineman and 8 offensive lineman. Not a lot of room for injuries up front. Only 3 corners is also a surprise.

3. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    I agree that OT is thin and that worries me. At DT we should be ok because some of the DE's can play DT in a pinch. Our safeties should be able to cover like a CB in 4 and 5 wide sets. The LB's are solid and we found a way to hang onto all of our offensive weapons from last season...and they are healthy!!! Bring on the Ray-turds!!!

4. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Maybe we'll see Ellison at some CB? I like this roster a lot, you gotta be thin somewhere though, just hope the beef stays fresh.

5. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I have a feeling we will be seeing some more moves in the next few days once the Chargers see who else was cut around the league and who gets signed to the PS.

Oline/Dline depth is a little worrisome but I'm going to keep the faith in our FO to make the right moves. Really really really happy that Bennett AND Tolbert made the cut as well as Spillman :yes:

Can Gregory play CB? Don't know why I thought he might be able to fill in at CB from time to time.. might be mistaken. Ellison isn't super strong in pass coverage but is solid in run coverage so I wouldn't think he'd slide over to CB... jmo

6. vegasboy

vegasboy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    Not as worried about the D-line as I am about the Tackle position.

When we go to a 4 man line one of our OLB's Merriman or English will probably become a DE bringing the heat off the corner.

However, having only Dombrowski to back up McNeil or Clary now that is scary. He came to us as a guard and has only played tackle for a short while. Asking him to step in and fill McNeil's shoes is quite a task. :unsure:

GO CHARGERS!:bolt:

7. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    We're really thin at CB.

Maybe bring in McCalister?

8. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22

9. LFEpooh124

LFEpooh124 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +38
    I've noticed a recent trend with a lot of teams going with 2 qbs. I thought maybe we could kick Whitehurst to the curb and roll with two, as well.

10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Some pretty big surprises in this group, like Shelton, Clark, Scott and Forney, my goodness

Either dombrowski really impressed or yeah they're targetting some other people. And I gotta imagine that we're looking at CBs somewhere

11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    OL to keep your eyes on for us to grab; Kirk Chambers from Buffalo, played all along the line but center

Wonder if we'd consider picking up Bernard Pollard from the Chiefs - he's a very good punt and kick blocker. I'd like to bring him in to check out

12. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I do not understand cutting so many linemen and keeping guys like Buster and Cliton Fart.

• Like Like x 1
  13. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    :icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

14. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    looks like they kept the best players. But as many have mentioned. Were a player short at o-tackle and cb. Watch for who other teams cut.

15. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +367
    The Jaguars released OT Tony Pashos... any takers?

16. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I'm EXTREMELY sure he's better then Jeromey Clary

17. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    I really think we should pursue Bernard Pollard.

MAJOR upgrade over Clinton.

18. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    I was thinking the same thing. I guess AJ doesn't want to be wrong about drafting Buster in the 1st round, and I have know idea what AJ was thinking in regards to Hart.

19. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
  20. auctoritas

auctoritas BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +40
    Dude, Buster is a phenomenal physical talent who has had a good preseason, cutting a guy like that who is only expected to contribute as a fourth or fifth receiver without giving him a shot this year would be stupid, regardless of how much you think he was a wasted pick.

Clinton Hart is an average player who is valuable to the team for depth. He is not nearly as terrible as many Charger fans seem to think...the group think among people is amazing to watch at times.

If there are injuries on the o-line, roster moves can be made during the season to address them.

21. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Davis - I don't like burning a roster spot for a dude who can't stay healthy and he didn't show me anything in the preseason that would say he's noting but an injury prone scrub

Hart - SCRUB. Can't tackle (he blew another one on a 3rd down that would have gotten our D off the field, instead,he whiffs, 1st down 49ers. Burnett gets hurt a few plays later) and he's slow in helping on zone coverage

I hope AJ is scanning the cuts and looking for some more Olinemen. I am NOT comfortable going w/ what we have.

22. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I like this roster, we have a great blend of vet's and young'uns. Let's see, Binn's been around since the 60's but other than that we have LT going on 9 and Jammer going on what 7-8?

It looks to me that we are locked n loaded for a Lombardi run this year. I really like the looks of this team. :tup: :icon_toast:

• Like Like x 2
  23. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    To be honest. I will be very pizzed at Norv if he doesn't open up the offense with so many good wr's on the team.

Open up the offense norv. Why hold back. YOu've got nothing to loose. When will these coaches realize that. I hate the stupidy of having to try and get a run game going to open up the pass offense. Just open up the pass offense and then run the ball with more space to run because defenses have backed up.

Quit playing chicken sheet football. Open up the offense from the get go.

24. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Yes.

It's high time for a 5 wide set.

25. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Because they know far more than we do.

If a guy isn't the guy for the job why keep him just to take up a spot? If any of those oline or dline players were really worth hanging on to we would have, they didnt earn a spot on the team, Buster and Hart did. For now.

This roster is far from set in stone - things are likely to change - patience angry one! :lol:

26. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    I really don't understand these comments. We have the most vertical passing game in the league, predicated on play action. You have to run the ball in such an offense. If you don't establish the run our offense won't work. Nothing chicken shiat about it. That being said, establish the damn run Norv.

We don't want any of that West Coast spread formation crap here. Rivers will get killed.

27. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Wow.........

Hart makes the team, he only makes it cos Gregory/Oliver will have to play some CB. Having said that as soon as we pick up a veteran CB off waivers Hart is history.
    Both Tolbert and Bennett make it. Too many RB/FB imho.
    Only 3 Offensive Tackles and one of em is a converted guard who came in off the street, not sure this is a great idea but Shelton was only going throught the motions imho. I was led to believe Corey Clark was something, I guess he is back to PS again?.
    Forney gone too, so what the hell did we bring him in for last year?, nada, what a waste of time and money he was.

PS looks something like this I reckon - Castille, Clark, Martin, Coleman, Sperry, Beckwith and 3 others..........

Plenty of changes to come though I believe.

Clinton will be gone, just saw the whiff on SF's 3rd play or so, WOW, he is awful.

28. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    Yes great moves by the front office
    I'm happy with the turnaround for the youth.
    There could be some moves for OL/DL but whom to send away ?

I see C.Hart Whitehurst or Johnson

29. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    One was a college player who was our on PS last year and showed that not only can he play Guard at a decent level, but switching over to Left Tackle he was able to outshine two older players and one of our draft picks. The fact that the coaching staff likes him and that after only a year at that position with the staff he is showing a lot of skill.

Draft profile:

POSITIVES: Wide-bodied small-area blocker with good strength at the point of attack. Quickly gets into blocks, stays square, and controls opponents. Displays good hand-punch and has a nasty attitude.

NEGATIVES: Struggles to adjust, lacks playing balance, and not a natural knee-bender. Ineffective in motion.

Some had him going as high as the 5th round last year.

But no your right, trash off the street just like ALL the UDFAs trash.

30. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Hopefully no one picks up Martin or Beckwith. I think those two will develop well.

After having now seen the game I understand why they kept Gartrell. I think he could be a good guy in the second half when the defenses get winded. I like the second efforts and the fact he doesn't fumble (although he sort of had one in that game).