1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

San Diego Chargers 2012 Team Needs

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by TTime, Feb 17, 2012.

1. TTime

TTime BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
  2. MONDO.

MONDO. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +36
    This team has plenty of holes but also a solid set of players to build from. Would like the Jammer to safety move; think reward out weighs risk. Need something anything to make the turnover margin better than:

San Diego Chargers: 2012 Team Needs
    Key Notes
    • The Chargers’ offense finished 6th in the NFL in three categories: scoring (25.6 pts/gm), passing offense (276.6) and total yards/gm (393.1)
    • San Diego’s 3rd Down conversion percentage (49%) ranked 2nd in the league
    • Defensively, Pro Bowl FS Eric Weddle recorded 7 interceptions in 2011
    • Team’s turnover ratio (-7) ranked 25th in the league
    • Allowed 122.2 yds/gm rushing (20th in the NFL)

Hope to see the team put it together for once and make a clumsy falling forward rumbling bumbling stumbling run that ends with a championship

3. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Let's say the team does move Jammer to safety. What are you expecting? I mean really, what level of play are people expecting? Jammer at 6'0 200 is going to demolish large tight ends? Probably not. All that moving Jammer to safety does is slide the hole. It puts Wright or Gilchrist in as a starting CB and forces Jammer to play a new position.

I'd rather give Deandre McDaniel or Stuckey a shot and hope that they can turn into playmakers than chuck Jammer into a new position after 10 years in the NFL. We don't ask our safeties to man cover WRs, but we do need them to be able to cover a TE and play deep in zone. I don't think either of these guys are going to be the next Eric Barry, but I also don't think Jammer will be doing that either if we move him.

4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Jammer to safety has been tossed around for years. All I will say about it is this - he's always been a hard-hitting, sure tackler & plays far better in coverage when he has the receiver in front of him rather that working in stride.

Sounds like a safety to me.

5. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I won't dispute that, but how often is he covering a guy who's 6'6 260? My question isn't about his ability to tackle well or cover in zone, or make the transition scheme-wise, it's whether he's going to be an improvement going against the targets to which we need our strong safety to serve as a counter.

6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    How many safeties in the league do well actually covering a guy that size? Not too many which is why teams are loading up on this type of receiver.

At least Jammer has game-day experience. I'm not saying that he's the long-term solution but I do believe he can fill a need while a new kid is being brought up to speed.

7. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    This looks to me like a girl trying to cover herself up with too little towel. Put him where he's best (corner) and live with having a below average SS for another year.

8. MONDO.

MONDO. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +36
    At least this would put gregory back on the bench and gilchrist on the field. Think he has more upside and its worth a shot. The defense was already bad so no point in keeping things the same. Hope the bolts can pick some one up in the draft that can spark some change

9. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Wright supposedly has(will have) shut down corner potential, so I'd rather see him getting trained up to play on the outside. If we have/can get a tall/fast (not necesarily big) LB who can cover TEs, then that would be an alternative to trying to find a safety to do the same.

Did Gilchrist do any corner Blitzes last season?

10. MONDO.

MONDO. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +36
    Not that I recall, the defense was pretty vanilla last season bend and then break!