1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

San Diego Chargers ALL TIME DEFENSE

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, May 18, 2006.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,632
    Sorry thumper
    I'm taking the lead on this part
    but again please forgive me, I'm young and stupid :icon_tease:

DE: Earl Faison
    One of our first all-pros on defense, and he was my high school principal so I'm biased
    DT: Blayze Winter
    I just love his sack dance :tup: In reality its Louie Kelcher, though I dind't see him play
    DT: John Parella
    He meant so much to this team when he was acquired
    DE: Leslie O'Neal
    One of the best sack masters ever to join the team
    LB: Junior Seau
    The man that made me a Charger fan
    LB: Dennis Gibson
    He will forever be in my memory
    LB: Billy Ray Smith
    Was a putz but man could he play
    CB: Gil Byrd
    No question he was a player
    CB: ?
    I don't know many CBs so I'd say Ryan McNeil just because I can't think of anyone else
    FS: Stanley Richards
    He was a prick but again he played damn well at FS
    SS: Rodney Harrison
    No question

2. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    No Problem. I've just been busy. I'll post my all time Defense when I have a little more time.

• Like Like x 1
  3. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings:
    +223
    DE) Leslie O'Neal a great player , never got along with management but he put up the numbers.

DE) Fred Dean I think he was the fastest DE I ever saw , he got into a money issue with management and won a few Super Bowl rings with S.F.

DE) Honorable mention Lee Williams he was drafted in the 1st round from the USFL league in 1984 and played until 1990 . He was very very good yet he played on some poor teams and failed to stick in the minds of most Charger fans. All- Pro in both leagues he played in.

DT) Gary "Big Hands" Johnson was the best DT to ever play for the Bolts , he made All- Pro as both a DT and as a DE . He was part of the best front four in Charger history , ( Dean , Johnson , Kelcher , Jones Leroy/ Young, Wilbur )

DT) Jamal Williams , he started out slow but he has come on strong , the last two seasons are his best. He is not the pass rusher that some of the others were but he is the best all round run/ pass rusher in the game at this time and in the 3-4 where he is doubled almost ever play.

DT) Honorable mention Shawn Lee he was the star DT when Parrella was picked up off the waiver wire , they formed a great duo in the middle and were the foundation to some great defensive teams.

OLB) Woody Lowe just a great LB who was very smart and got very little credit due to the super offense , fast made plays every where.

OLB) Junior Seau The Bolts changed his position from outside to in but they also played a lot of 3-4 in his day. Fastest LB in the game by far , strength he had it all . He ran himself off a few plays early on but after his 4 th yr he could take a game over and that is very hard to do at ILB in a 3-4 , H.O.F. player all time .

ILB) Gary Plummer He never got any credit but his teams always won , finished his career in S.F. with a couple of Super Bowl rings after he was suppose to be over the hill here. Once again money issue , he was slow ,could not jump run plugger from the USFL who was a winner.

CB) Gill Byrd pretty steady corner who while not spectacular he was a hard worker ,fact is Chargers never have had a great CB.

CB) Elvis "Toast" Patterson he came to the Bolts in the last stage of his career but he sure was fun to watch he took chances and made more than his share of int but on the other hand his nickname was "Toast".

CB) Mike Williams he was steady , played a long , long time 75-82 which tells you a lot about our CB we just never had a big shut down guy .

SS) Rodney Harrison H.O.F. man the guy can hit , he gave more WR alligator arms than anyone to ever play the game . I still am pissed they tried to make him a cover 2 safety and then released him . The Pats signed him and a Super Bowl ring and two Pro Bowls later and clearly the worst mistake in Charger history , not counting QB's.

FS) Stanley Richard His and Means release over money killed the Bolts. They never replaced him and they never went back to the Super Bowl despite having the youngest team in the league in 1994. He got killed by S.F. but he was very young still ......shows another weak spot.

Best ST player

Hank Bauer dude was a human bowling bowl .:icon_mrgreen:

• Like Like x 2
  4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,207
    How have you been man?

5. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings:
    +223
    I am fine , my son isn't well right now ....sure has been a difficult year for him.
    The Bolts finished the year on a downward run and I am a year older.

How are you ? I see you are concerned with Brees departure and I am as well.
    Hopefully Smith made a great selection in Rivers and he will be a world beater other wise ......

On the flip side I love Castillo and Merriman. Both should be better this year and they were great last season. :tup:

• Like Like x 3
  6. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,207
    Is there anything I can do for you or your son in this trying time?

I am a little concerned to see how Philip plays as I have not been impressed with his limited play thus far. But I am on a wait and see.

I had the feeling that Drew wouldnt sign with us a few weeks before he went to NO, as it got real personal between AJ and Drew. Those things rarely work out in the league.

I hope AJ is right, but moving Lemon and Drew, it appears that AJ is just removing competition for his draft pick. Hope I am wrong.

7. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Ok, here's my all-time Chargers Defense

DE: Fred Dean - One mean mofo, 15.5 sack don't hurt either.
    DE: Leslie O’Neal - A bright spot on some bad Charger teams.
    DT: Gary "Big Hands" Johnson - He was a beast.
    DT: Louie Kelcher - I remember the murph and everyone was chantting Louie. A fan fav that got it done.
    LB: Junior Seau - This is a "no duh" choice. Dominant comes to mind. Say-Ow!!
    LB: Billy Ray Smith (Woodrow Lowe was a close 3rd) - BR didn't have a great supporting cast there at the end, but he went after it. Wish he was 5 years older and we had him for the early eighties.
    CB: Gill Byrd - Another obvious choice.
    CB: Willie Buchanan - 1972 AFC rookie of the year. Local guy from Oceanside. Had him as a sub teacher in 8th grade, while he was a Charger. I know he held the league intercepts record for a single game at one time. Still active in the community in Oceanside.
    FS: Charlie McNeil - Interception machine
    SS: Rodney Harrison - The hitman could hit. I met him a few times. Very softspoken, but he brought it on the field. Not bad for a 7th round pick.

Honorable mention LB: Shawne Merriman - Definitely lights out. DROY, AFC ROY, Probowler. Wait until he plays the whole season.