1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

San Diego Chargers: First Domino Falls As Hart Is Cut

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    by Mike Kranzler

Contributor Written on October 14, 2009

The San Diego Chargers have cut starting safety Clinton Hart, as first reported by the San Diego Union-Tribune.

A second-year starter, Hart received a large contract extension midway through 2008, making his release all the more surprising. However, his limitations in coverage and tackling struggles may have contributed to his release.

Hart has also struggled with injuries, as a neck stinger kept him out of the lineup for several games last season, during which time the Chargers' defense did not seem to skip a beat in his absence.

It is not known yet if rookie Kevin Ellison or veteran Steve Gregory will get the starting nod on Monday Night Football versus the 5-0 Broncos, but the smart money is probably on Ellison. A.J. Smith seems to believe that he has someone on the roster capable of filling Hart's vacated position, and if Gregory was that man, he would have been in the starting lineup long ago.

Ellison's physical presence, along with his increasing comfort level in Ron Rivera's defensive scheme as his rookie season progresses, seems to make the most sense as the team's first choice.

The bye week most likely gave them a chance to further evaluate the development of the sixth-round pick tabbed with eventually taking over in the starting lineup, and Norv Turner and the Chargers' coaching staff must have liked what they saw.

The Chargers re-signed defensive tackle Ian Scott to fill Hart's spot on the roster and bolster their depth along the injury-plagued defensive line.

This is likely only the first of several moves Smith and the Chargers will make before Tuesday's trade deadline, as there are still several glaring weaknesses on this team that must be addressed.

Look for the Chargers to be in the market for help along the offensive and defensive lines, especially now that they have additional financial flexibility with the release of the underperforming Hart.

It is also possible that the team will explore a trade of Shawne Merriman, as rookie Larry English is improving every week and Merriman has yet to make any sort of significant impact this season.

If another team steps up and offers Smith a second-round pick, it might be "Lights Out" for Merriman's time in San Diego.

2. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    The Chargers are going to want more than a 2nd.

Merriman is worth more. Fact is as a team leader on defense alone he is worth more. Merriman can come back and play hard, a 2nd wont help the Chargers more than losing a Pro bowler.

He is more likely to cut Davis than trade Merriman for anything less than a 1st and maybe a player.

3. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I disagree. Merriman is NOT worth more than his on the field performance. I don't care how loud he can yell or how hard he can clap his hands, he's an off the field DUNCE. No leader in my book.

If we can get anything respectable for #56 we really ought to take it... better getting nothing at all for him

4. CasualKnowledge

CasualKnowledge BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +19
    Why? unless it helps the team get someone this year, why? It's not like there is a stud waiting to take the roster spot. Shawne knows that if he does not perform the rest of this year, he won't get a very good contract the next. Let him work for that on this team, rather than another one.

5. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    Yea! Ian Scott will bolster our defensive line! I'm sure that was why we cut him after training camp and chose to start guys like OG and Boone before we gave him a call.....

6. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Cut BUSTer Davis but don't trade Merriman for ANYTHING less than a 1st round pick!!!

7. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    I'm beginning to wonder how much of a "leader" Merriman is .. The 1st couple of seasons, you could see him be an emotional leader on the sideline and before the games. I haven't seen that yet this season.

8. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    I don't see how a 2nd or 3rd round pick will help us more than Merriman. Frankly watching AJ's latest drafts he seems to get the best player worth as UDFA.

Davis a first rounder. Cromartie a 1st rounder. I am unsure if English will be as good as Merriman used to be before the injuries. Another 1st round pick.

9. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Basically because right now I think Merriman is a waste of a roster spot. My amateur observations and predictions are that his knee is still far from recovery. I don't think he's going to be back to full speed at all this year. I've also gone on record predicting that he will never fully recover from this injury. Merriman is a ghost on the field right now, and I don't see any reason to expect that to change. Right now he's basically Vaughn Martin with an ego problem.

It's a little early to start calling out English. He's looked as good as any of our pass rushers this year, with the least experience and preparation. I like the guy so far. :yes:

Also while we're blasting 1st days picks lets not forget about names like Rivers and Jackson... those guys were 1st and 2nd round picks that turned out okay, right? :icon_shrug:

10. CasualKnowledge

Ratings:
    +19
    There isn't anybody waiting to take his roster spot, so why take the chance. Oh, right... predictions that he will never fully recover. I'm pretty glad we didn't take this approach with Rivers and his offseason surgery after 07. Other teams haven't seen merriman do anything since 06, so why would they give up anything better than a 4th or 5th round pick, the same way we got dude from houston this year.

Keep Merriman for the rest of the year because:
    won't get much for him now
    nobody waiting in the hall for a roster spot
    he is in fact mentoring English, more of those leader attributes everyone claims he doesn't have
    50/50 chance he does come back full speed by december

11. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Merriman just needs the league standard dose of HGH to get going again.

12. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I just think Merriman might not be up to 100% until the latter part of this year because of the major surgery he is recovering from. It often takes players coming back from major surgery alot of time to recover, and even then lots of people note they're never hte same. I just don't know about trading merriman now and then having him go off later this year

13. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    totally agree, look at Brady, from what everyone says he's far from the Brady of old

14. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    No argument there... I will not lie... I'm bitter that Merriman's own stupidity cost him so much playing time. How many starts did Rivers miss with his knee injury? In how many games did he play 10% of the offensive snaps because he was a shell of his former self? Zero. Merriman's poor decision making regarding his own health is the reason he's at 60% right now. I'm a dork so it makes me ****ing NUTS that his stupid decision is a reason we have no pass rush right now.

I'm being more emotional than thoughtful in my appraisal of this situation. So you're ideas are probably more sensible than mine. But while I'm posting my feelings... **** that guy.

15. CasualKnowledge

Ratings:
    +19
    No I have to agree with you as well. The first thing that came to my mind at the beginning of last year was: "Why the hell didn't you go to the same doctor that Rivers did and have OFFSEASON surgery at the end of 07". Did you do this to tear at my personal hopes for this team... why god why!!!". But at this point it's not impossible for him to recover, but it is impossible for another team to want to rent merriman for the rest of the year and actually give anything up to do so.

That said, I'm not so sure the right decision will be made. Other people in the organization might be taking this thing a bit too personal as well.

16. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I think Merriman was just young and stupid about his knee.

H saw team mates playing through injuries and thought he could.

He couldnt and I think it cost him a lot of green.

That said, I hope he returns to form this season, we need him.

17. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

He probably saw what Chargers fans said about other players who had to sit out due to injury and decided to try and play through it.....

18. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59

Merriman's knee could be three times in better shape than River's knee was last year or even this year, and he could still play like crap. A linebacker need for power, speed, cutting etc comes from his legs and his knees. While I am not implying River's knee isn't important to playing effectively, but he rarely runs at full speed, and requires a lot less out of it. So it's hardly a fair comparison.

Also let's not forget he's also suffering from a groin injury.

The only way I can see trading Merrimen working for us if we get a player that can contribute to the team now. We need help immediately not next September. So unless the season's over and through the new CBA we can trade his rights away, I'd perfer we keep him, hope he heels up and makes a come back.

19. Eat My Boltage

Eat My Boltage Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +43
    Davis WHO?????:bolt: