1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

San Diego Chargers Near Bottom of Most Valuable NFL Teams List

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Aug 31, 2010.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    San Diego Chargers Near Bottom of Most Valuable NFL Teams List
    By Jay Brown (Chargers Featured Columnist) on August 31, 2010

Forbes.com just released their annual rankings of the most valuable franchises in the NFL, and surprisingly the San Diego Chargers are nowhere near the top.

The San Diego Chargers, who are the only NFL franchise left in the Southern California region, are ranked 24 out of the 32 NFL franchises. Hard to believe about a team that has made the playoffs five of the last six seasons, and has won four straight AFC West division titles.

The Chargers are currently worth $907 million, a 1-percent decrease from 2009 when the team was worth $917 million.

The Spanos family, lead by patriarch Alexander G. Spanos, purchased the Chargers in 1984 for $70 million. Spanos has since handed over the day to day operations of the team to his son Dean.

The Chargers claim that they can't compete fiscally in the NFL without the aid of a new football stadium; however, the team is having a difficult time keeping current season ticket holders, and selling their overpriced "Gold Club" club level seats.

Qualcomm Stadium, where the Chargers have played for the last 43 seasons, has definitely seen better days. The aging stadium was built in 1967, and was last renovated in 1998, just in time for Super Bowl XXXII. The renovation also helped San Diego land Super Bowl XXXVII after San Francisco was unable to secure funding and construction of a new stadium.

Team President and CEO Dean Spanos has dedicated the last eight years and millions of dollars to find a suitable location for a new Super Bowl caliber stadium for the Chargers within the county or city of San Diego.

A lot hangs in the balance of the 2010 season for the San Diego Chargers.

The team is facing uncertainty with the current contract disputes of Vincent Jackson and Marcus McNeill, and there is the added distraction of whether football will be played in 2011.

If the Chargers want the new stadium they so desire, and an increase in revenue to help move up the list of most valuable teams, then another solid performance during the regular season, a deep run into the playoffs, including a Super Bowl appearance, may help them get what they want.

San Diego Chargers Near Bottom of Most Valuable NFL Teams List | Bleacher Report

#24 San Diego Chargers - Forbes.com

2. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    if they move to LA they will move up on the list.

3. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    Bite your tongue!!! The Bolts must stay in San Diego.........moving them to LA would be sacrilege of the worst order.

4. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    If we build a new stadium and stay in SD they will move up on the list.

5. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    How much of this stuff is politically motivated? If the Spanos family decided for one reason or another to sell this team, just how much more than this figure would they really get?

6. S.D.Love

S.D.Love Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +7
    If the Chargers have to move out of San Diego, a move to Los Angeles would be my first and only choice. A move to any other city outside of Southern California would be sacrilege of the worst order.

The Raiders are from Oakland, not Los Angeles. The Chargers are from Los Angeles.

[​IMG]

A move to L.A. would be really tough for the Chargers at first because there are so many Raiders fans here so it might be hard to fill the seats, but I think a lot of Angelinos would come around eventually. If the Chargers move closer to the O.C. in L.A. it would be better. Then San Diego fans would have shorter drive to see games, and I think the Chargers fan base is bigger in the O.C. than L.A.

That being said I hope the Chargers stay in San Diego forever, but I feel the need to speak up when people jack Los Angeles. L.A.and San Diego shouldn't be rivals, this is SoCAL, our rivalries should be with NorCAL. The Raiders and when possible the 49ers.

I have a hard time fathoming why so many people in L.A. continue to root for the Raiders and I have a sinking feeling that if the Raiders ever win a Superbowl there will be massive riots here, just like there is during the Laker championship wins.

The thing Raiders fans in L.A. need to understand is that football teams represent cities and regions of the U.S.. Oakland has absolutely nothing to do with Los Angeles. Would these people be rooting and going rah rah for the Raiders if they moved to New York, Chicago, Philly, or Detroit? I don't think so. Recognize the fact that Oakland is a dirty and foul city, and has a dirty and foul football team. L.A. OWNS Oakland in every possible way.

Have some pride in Southern California, Los Angelinos and root for the ONE team that represents this region of California on the national stage of the NFL, and to those certain San Diegans quit hating on Los Angeles, it's all SoCAL so it's all good.

I'm surprised to see the Chargers that far down on the list. No need to move to L.A. though, just win a Superbowl and we'll move up on the list in no time.

7. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    and if the move up there a lot of fans will not not follow them up there! I for one am on that list as I will never root for any team that calls Los Angeles home.

8. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    IMO......

Spanos has not really done anything to make himself one of the best owners in the league. I think he is in it just so that he can call himself an owner of a NFL team. He does not pay top dollar for top talent, we get run of the mill coaches and when we get anyone good in any position, he does not take care of them financially. We have had some great Offensive and Defensive Coordinators and Asst Coaches in here, but they have left for more money. If you pay top dollars to keep some one, chances are they will stay here and develop a loyalty to the team. There is no loyalty here.

9. S.D.Love

S.D.Love Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Why? Unless they are a divisional rival ala the Dodgers, in my mind there's no reason not to.
    Why be a hater? This is 2010, not 1988.

Who are you going to root for if the Chargers go to L.A.? The Vikings?

10. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    I got run off the Chargers message board AND SoSD for suggesting this team was moving and has been planning on it for a while now. Your only censored when your on to something.

This team is moving, again IMO. :D

11. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    It’s the Chargers or nobody. I have been going to Charger Games since 1970, have been a loyal Season ticket holder since 1980, and I will remain a loyal die hard true blue Charger fan as long as they stay in San Diego. There weren’t too many Browns fans that called the Ravens their team when the Browns up and moved to Baltimore. Every time the chant goes up, “BEAT LA …..BEAT LA….BEAT LA” I yell that with all my heart.
    I do kid the Raiders fans, I can jump ship and become a Steelers fan because they have 6 Lombardi’s, and then I kid the Steelers fans about that also. They say there is plenty of room on their bandwagon , but then I have never had a team win a World Championship with my backing so the days of winning anything might be over if the Chargers move to LA.

12. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Rams back to LA is what it will be. The new owner has an interest in LA. It turns out Stan Kroenke is a member of the league's Los Angeles Stadium Working Group committee.

13. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    Buffalo has been mentioned also,