1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

San Diego Chargers Should Go After Julius Peppers

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

By Scott Panten
    CBS Sports

Now can anyone tell my why the San Diego Chargers wouldn't want to put Julius Peppers along side Shawne Merriman? As was proven by the Pittsburgh Steelers, DEFENSE wins Super Bowls.

A.J. Smith finally waking up and seeing the light with the signing of L.T., hopefully he sees at least one awesome opportunity out there in Peppers while he has his eyes open.

San Diego has been beaten in the playoffs at least twice by the Patriots, why let an already dominant team like the Patriots become more dominant in a conference that we are trying to win?

My take is pay Peppers what you are going to put up for the 16th pick this year, trade it to the Panthers and fill our other needs later in the draft.

At that point we would have an awesome linebacking crew, with a defensive coordinator that should already be a head coach—hopefully some day for the Chargers. With Merriman and Peppers together, quarterbacks of the other teams are non-factors.

Take a look in the division-

Denver - ? (Cutler is a cry Baby) They have no one!

Kansas City - Matt Cassel, good quarterback, but still young and quite inexperienced in a new system. Also No MOSS, No awesome receivers to throw to.

Raiders - What's his name?? A non-factor.

I say get peppers and let the rest of the AFC sweat!

:abq2:

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I don't deny it would be incredibly awesome to Put Peppers next to Merriman, Cooper and Burnett. Non Stop Pass Rush fun.

BUT

*We need to sign some of our own players to mega contracts, namely Merriman and Rivers
    *We need a RT, a NT, a DE and probably a safety
    *If we trade our 16th pick then we have no picks the entire first day
    *Peppers was the second over all pick, he won't accept "what we would pay the 16th overall pick"
    *WHat would we do with Phillips?

IN ADDITION

*Peppers would need how to play OLB - needs to learn run coverage, pass coverage, and how to react. He's athletic enough sure but it remains to be seen if he could.

3. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    Never gonna happen.

He will want a truly mammoth contract, probably only slightly less than Haynesworth got. We've got plenty of our own guys we need to sign. He doesn't know how to play OLB, making him a pretty much one-trick pony. And we've already got Shaun Phillips, who will do just fine when he's rushing from the weak side opposite Merriman.

4. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    He'll cost too much. If he fattens up and wants to play some DE for us then come on down, though someone needs to explain exactly what the role of a DE is in a 3-4 and exactly why Peppers could never do it. Not that it matters cause he's not at all looking to play DE but I just want the facts. If not, we have Merriman, nuf 'ced.

5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    They actually pay people to write this sorta ****? :icon_huh:

Money is just the beginning, but it's more than enough reason to say no to Peppers.

6. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Good in the short term, horrible in the long term.

I'd rather draft a pass rusher with the 16th pick, it's a lot cheaper and the guy could be groomed to take over for Merriman if we can't sign him long term or he isn't the same after the injury.

7. Boltsessive

Boltsessive Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3
    They don't. This article is from a "member's" blog, like bleacher report.

8. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Ah - thanks. So the guy is just a regular dumbass like us. :lol: :lol:

9. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    but he is smokin the good stuff.

Where does he plan on getting the $$$$$ to sign him?

10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    The average fan doesn't stop to think about those details, H8er. You know that. :yes:

It sounds great - let's put it out there for public consumption. Doesn't matter if it makes sense or not. :lol:

11. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Why is it everyone is screaming about the financial cost?
    #1, if the pats can do it, why cant we? WHy can they always find room to sign guys, yet we cant? WHy is it that they can always find great value trades, yet we always overpay big time?

#2, who cares about the cap, after next year, we wont even have one. We can trade for him, give him a contract that is pretty good for this year and then give him the big money next year when there is no cap, and Merriman/Rivers/VJ will all be RFA so they wont be going anywhere either

You guys all seem to think that the cap makes it impossible to do anything but sign our own players, but look around the league, teams make deals every year with big money players yet you never hear about them being in big trouble. Why are we so different?

Want money to sign peppers? Cut Hart, thats 3mil, then Wilhelm, thats like 2-3mil per, throw in Tucker as well and there you have the money for peppers for 1 year. All 3 of those guys could be replaced with FA making league min, or late round draft picks and we would have our own terror squad (Merriman, Peppers, Phillips) and that alone will give us a super bowl caliber defense, and we already have a good offense.

12. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    The Pats don't have that many high priced players, they already have their QB re-signed and have no big extensions coming up in the future.

The 2 teams are in completely different situations. Obviously there are guys we could cut but that doesn't make up for the money we need.

Like I said you can make it work in the short term but in the long term it's a mess. Like I said I'd rather draft a pass rusher.

13. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Who knows if Pepper's would even come to San Diego?????

14. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Wolfork, Hobbs, Seymour and Mankins...all free agents will be negotiating contracts after this season...they won't come cheap. Peppers might be one helluva strain on their cap...unless he decides to take much less money than he can get a a tagged franchise player...about $16 million.

15. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    Peppers has a long torso, making him less than desirable for OLB. Also, he sucks in pass coverage. He's awesome in the system he's in, but there's a lot more to OLB than just pass rush.

16. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    Seymour already has a big deal. Wilfork will probably cost a lot the others not so much.

But it's nothing like having to sign Merriman, Rivers, McNeil (questionable right now), and Jackson. That's probably 2 $100 million deals right there.

I mean it's not like I'd complain if we got Peppers, but it isn't really realistic to think that signing just those 3 would be possible. Then you factor in what teams Peppers wants to go to, pretty sure the Chargers aren't one of them.

• Like Like x 1
  17. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    We should be able to get through our division with our hands tied behind our back. Should!!!

Though the bigger question is getting past Pittsburgh, New England, Baltimore, and maybe even Tennessee and Miami.
    Peppers and Merriman certainly would make it sound possible but I expect the real Phillips to return this season. Same with many other guys on the defense.

18. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    We can get as good a player as peppers in the draft. I was hoping to trade down and then get him and possibly a 2nd rounder in a trade down. But now its looking like were gonna have to maybe stick at pick 16 to get him. Sheet.

19. Aggieman

Ratings:
    +194
    Who do you have in mind, Maluaga?

20. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    maybe if we sell what he's smoking, we can pay off Peppers :lol:

21. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    Spanos.... :icon_sad:

• Like Like x 1
  22. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    NO. I kind of don't want to say so other teams might check him out more. He's a d-tackle/d-end player. He was not getting too noticed. But now he is. Dang. He's good.

Alot of teams must now know how good this kid is. And he's gonna go early. A few weeks ago he would have been a early 2nd rounder. Now he's in the first round. Dang. All the chargers can do now is put out feelers to see who might draft him. And figure out if we have to sit tight at pick 16 or can trade down some spots to get him.

23. Aggieman

Ratings:
    +194
    You don't want to say for fear that other teams will check him out. Jesus, what kind of power over NFL teams do you have? "OMG, Foober, some random Charger fan, says this guy is good on Bolt Talk so we need to look into him!"

24. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Teams do monitor these web pages. They know fans are somewhat in touch with what a team will do.

The reason I'm being a bit secretive is cause I really wanted to trade down in the first round and get him. But as it is now I'm guessing most teams know how good he is so we'll probably have to get him with the 16th pick.

Okay, check out a player named Evander Hood. Who has no talent. Has no work ethic. CAn't hold a candle to all the great players in this draft.

25. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Yeah, he's a BIG secret. :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl:

26. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Yeah they do and so do the players and the families of the players. :yes: That is why they love and hate TrumpetMan. :lol: I say what I feel and do not give a rats *** who it offends. :abq2:

If it is something not meant for the boards, I keep my mouth shut. :yes: That is between friends or acquaintences otherwise, the gloves are off. I want a Lombardi. I am running out of time and so is old man Spanos. I wonder if he even remember he owns the team. :icon_eek:

27. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    We need a DE.

If Peppers is available, sign his ***. :bolt:

If we do not get an impact DE, F this season.

If we do not get a RT who is worthy, forgetaboutit as well. :bolt:

28. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Bloggers are homos.

29. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Me too! I do what I want! I run with 12 gangs. I only commit hate crimes. Whatever! I do what I want!

30. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Hey look guys!!! A famous poster from San Diego!! :lol: