1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

San Diego Chargers Strike Free Agent Gold: Cory Jackson and Seyi Ajirotutu

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, May 13, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

By Jeremy Beckett
    5-13-2010

When looking at the Chargers undrafted free agent list, and comparing them to every other teams lists, we won the draft hands down. We have two pieces of free agent gold, that were projected to be gone in the draft.
    In a sense it was as if we had won a draft lottery and got two free picks who, if utilized effectively in college, would have been huge draft prospects.

Cory "The Juggernaut" Jackson

If you want to reincarnate fullback Mike Alstott and put him in the Chargers' high-octane offense, this is your guy. I'm talking about 250 pounds of hard nosed, old school blocking powerhouse. A real fullback.
    But wait, there's more:
    He runs, He blocks, he plays special teams, he kick returns, punt returns, punt covers, and when he's done with that, he blocks some more.
    He is the spark plug that the Supercharger is missing. If you want to go from 31st to top five in the league in rushing, you need a true blocking fullback.
    Remember last time we went from first to 28th, right after we lost Lorenzo Neal? Isn't that about the time LT started getting hurt all the time? Yep. Did we learn something?
    Can Jackson put up the big yards Matthews does? No, but we don't need him to. However, I will put my credibility on the line as a hardcore Charger fan when I say this: We don't have a back that can remotely block like Cory Jackson.
    If I were Philip Rivers, I'd pay this guy's salary myself out of my $92 million contract. If he wants more passing time to get his numbers even better for your Pro Bowl/MVP nominations, this guy will get it for him.
    Scratch that, If he wants to walk after 60, this guy will greatly increase his chances.We just lost a pro bowl special teamer, Kassim Osgood, and one of the best blocking tight ends in the game, Barndon Manumaleuna.
    If Jackson does not get a contract, it's a huge slap in the face to die-hard fans like me, and to the health of our team. Look at it this way: We have "three" multi-million dollar quarterhorses in our stable—Rivers, Sproles, and Matthews—and what's our current insurance policy? Nada!
    Put Cory Jackson in the mix, and I predict this: by the end of the season, we will see some new Jackson jerseys walking around Qualcomm, and they will have a 38 on them. How he slipped through the draft and onto our squad can be summarized in two words: extremely lucky, and I'm speaking for the Chargers in that.

Seyi Ajirotutu

The second piece of free agent gold is WR Seyi Ajirotutu. Here's another guy we desperately need. Picture getting Terrel Owens as a free agent 15 years ago.

I'm talking a freakishly big (6'4" 230 lb) receiver out of Fresno State. How in the world this guy wasn't drafted is beyond me. He is raw talent and ready to be sculpted into a Pro Bowl player in time.
    Yeah, he has big numbers, but this article isn't about any boring stat sheets. It's about shining a spotlight and getting fans behind these guys.
    Think of it this way: I am almost certain we will lose either Vincent Jackson or Malcom Floyd next year. Also, we have two receivers on our squad that haven't played for us in years. Not mentioning any names. The fans know it.
    In one year working with Norv Turner and Rivers, this guy could be huge in keeping our passing game elite. If he learns from Floyd and Jackson about the speed, timing, and routes, he could become insanely good.
    Don't forget receiver coach Charlie Joiner, who could have a pretty big impact himself.
    I guess I'm just tired of going to Qualcomm and seeing guys who look great on paper run off the field after the game in clean uniforms. Jackson and Ajirotutu will play, and they will make the Chargers better.
    With the genius strategy of AJ Smith, the implementation of Norv Turner, and the desire of these guys, I feel one day I may write about them again. But not in a prospects article. More like a "greatest free agent pickups in a single draft" column.

2. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    If only Norval believed in the fullback... :(

3. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I guess you've never heard of Daryl Johnston

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Jeez optimistic much about the fullback?

And as a side note, few teams use fullbacks anymore. So its not just norval that doesn't believe in them. I'm not saying that makes it right i'm just saying its not like we are going against the grain.

Jackson could provide some of the better elements of LoNeal with some of the versatility of Jacob Hester, if that's what happens I'll be thrilled

5. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    Inrteresting thoughts.

The only point I differ with you on has to do with Brandon Manumaleuna. I don't think he had a very good season in 2009-- certainly not as a blocker, and Kris Wilson supplanted him as the extra tight end who catches passes.

This roster has room for a guy who can do all the things you allege Jackson can do, and if he DOES do them... he'll be a Charger in 2010.

6. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    ill admit Cory Jackson is a beast kick a scrub off of the team cough cough hester cough cough, and put this kid in

• Like Like x 1
  7. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Love both guys, but the guy who wrote all that is out of his mind

I think Jackson makes the team, and i hope hes starting for us by midseason, but i would still want tolbert in the on 3rd down or long yardage since he has good hands and good speed for a FB.

Tutu can develop into a nice player, but to think he can be another TO? are you insane? Theres a reason the guy wasnt drafted. Hes a GOOD college player, but nothing AMAZING

I mean its good to have high hopes, but come on

• Like Like x 1
  8. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    :lol: Exactly! :lol:

9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    That was a Bleacher report article, wasn't it? :unsure:

10. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    It looks like a Bleacher report.

There are a couple of gems, including two WRs, Lang an OLB, Nicks, and a HUGE O-line project. All of these guys had the potential to be drafted. Some were projected into the 3rd round.

A FB making this roster isn't as likely as the guys I mentioned before. As for this guy being a beast he is good at blocking in front, but has trouble blocking LBs. Quick strong LBs would kill him in the passing game. He would have to impress in camp, and frankly Hester and Tolbert look to be our F-backs. I know people don't like Hester, but he is a much better RB than this guy who litterally is just a FB.

11. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Word.

12. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Gary Banks (WR) is the ****. I have yet to see that guy drop a ball thrown his way.

Free agent gold is signing goddamn linemen.

• Like Like x 1
  13. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    Chruch M'Fer!:icon_banana:

• Like Like x 1
  14. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    The Chargers should sign you Trumpy to be a Co-GM with AJ so we get get our Mutha Fuggin BIG BEEF OF BEEFY BEEF. :icon_evil:

• Like Like x 1
  15. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    HOpefully the chargers won't do what they did with welker vs. tim dwight. Kept dwight which was a huge mistake and lost welker.

IF jackson out performs hester then hester has to be let go. No more hanging onto a guy that is supposed to be good but isn't as good. It all depends on how good jackon is of course.

16. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    We'll have room on the roster if we get rid of Buster. I also though Jackson had played some TE-mostly as a blocker, but he can catch some.

• Like Like x 1
  17. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    :icon_rofl:

18. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Stop sucking on trumpy. :icon_rofl:

Remember, he gave up his tickets, while some of us still have ours. :yes:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Jeeeez. So why were these guys not drafted then?. Let's not get too excited. As long as Butler comes in for Coop (who could be cut imho) and Ryan does the business at RB I am happy.