1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

San Diego could land its former coach a job Sunday

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Nov 3, 2007.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Another loss should push Zygi Wilf into action, dialing up Marty Schottenheimer before anyone else calls.
    By Jim Souhan, Star Tribune

Last update: November 03, 2007 – 4:45 PM
    The Chargers arrive today without Marty Schottenheimer, and with a great chance of winning. They could be doing the Vikings two big favors.

A loss would better position the Vikings to land another high draft choice, and give them reason to land a new coach.
    Schottenheimer went 14-2 coaching San Diego last year. He lost to the Patriots in the playoffs in part because a defensive back fumbled while returning an interception. Also because -- this just in -- the Patriots are pretty good.
    The decision by the Chargers to fire Schottenheimer, one of the most consistent winners in modern football, could be the Vikings' windfall.
    If the Chargers win today -- and that's the way to bet -- the Vikings will be 2-6 and well on their way to a four- or five-victory season, two years after the bare-bones, Love-Boat Vikings went 9-7 and three years after an underfunded, understaffed Vikings team won a playoff game.
    If owner Zygi Wilf would hire Schottenheimer to coach the Vikings, and bring in a real general manager to oversee the football operation, Minnesota could be in the playoffs in a year or two.
    Schottenheimer is known for MartyBall -- power running and strong defense. Having lost 13 of their past 17 under Brad Childress, the Vikings should be trying to play AnyoneElseBall.
    Schottenheimer is known for losing playoff games. The current Vikings should have such problems. And, in retrospect, we should acknowledge that Schottenheimer lost a lot of close playoff games to superior teams. He also turned too conservative when he had superior teams, but if you're a Vikings fan today, that has to qualify as nitpicking.
    The Vikings have two big problems -- muddy thinking in the front office, and muddy thinking on the sideline. The front office is led by Rick Spielman, who can take credit for having assembled two of the worst teams in football.
    He was the director of player personnel of the Miami Dolphins from 2000 to 2003, and their GM in 2004. With the personnel he assembled, the 2007 Dolphins might be on their way to the first winless season in an NFL 16-game schedule.
    With the Vikings, Spielman, along with Childress, has neglected the quarterback position, giving us a game of musical chairs in which nobody wants the music to stop.
    If the Vikings are trying to win -- which is what they claimed in 2006 -- it takes a lot of self-delusion to neglect the offensive skill positions. If the Vikings are trying to rebuild -- the line they're selling now that winning looks hopeless -- it takes a lot of self-delusion to spend dozens of millions on veteran talent at other positions.
    For all of its problems, this roster would suit Schottenheimer.
    What Wilf should be thinking is that if there is going to be a rush on coaches at the end of the season, why not start shopping now? Why not hire Schottenheimer, who might be the best coach on the market, before Wilf faces competition?
    When Childress took the job, he said he chose the Vikings because they offered the best chance to win right away. Schottenheimer should take the same view. With his coaching, the Vikings would be a competent quarterback and No. 1 receiver away from the playoffs. With a high pick in next year's draft, Schottenheimer could make an immediate and franchise-transforming impact, and improve Wilf's chances of acquiring stadium support.
    Wilf's dream braintrust would probably include Bill Parcells, but he looked weary of coaching by the end of his Cowboys run. He'd make a great GM, though. Schottenheimer is still full of vinegar and ambition, and available to run a team that is not as bad as it looks.

http://www.startribune.com/souhan/story/1525444.html

2. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Spielman is an idiot and should be dumped.

Marty would want control over personnel. Maybe he can sell that to a newbie owner like Zygi, but player talent evaluation is one of Marty's weakest skills. Just ask AJ, he'll tell you. :lol:

Minny would actually be a good team for Marty to go to. Dump that Tampa-2 crap, and put in a 4-3 that Marty's brother can attempt to coach as DC. :icon_tease:

Minny has the makings of a good OL, and Marty will Power-Oh them all game long with Peterson.

The Jets offense is struggling so maybe Mangini will let Marty Junior out of his contract to come OC the Vikes. :yes:

This is perfect for Marty. He even has a press dude advocating it. The only drawback is the golf courses suck up their in the Winter. Oh well ... when you have a home in the Carolinas and one in La Jolla, you don't really have to worry about February tee times in Minnysoda.

:abq2:

3. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    :lol:

Marty.

:lol:

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928

How long til the Vikings sign......
    Tamarick Vanouver
    Leon Johnson
    Cory Raymer
    Stephen Alexander
    Ed Ellis

and trade for Donnie Edwards :lol:

5. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Classic :bolt:

6. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    IMO they would be foolish to give up on Childress so soon. The guy has nothing to work with at QB and some really inexperienced WRs. After all, at least you know he's bright enough to NOT bring in Jeff George for a look!!! None of their losses have been blowouts, so it's not like this guy is running them out there completely unprepared. They're in the beginning of a big transition period. Upgrade the OL, draft Matt Ryan next year, and continue on the rebuilding path with the defense carrying the leadership torch.

7. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Marty isn't a NFC guy, as far back as I can remember he's either been on an AFL club or coached an AFC club. I could be wrong though.:bolt:

8. LTisCool

LTisCool BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +17
    I like Marty and I wouldn't mind seeing him coaching again. So I hope we destroy the Vikings and get him employed.

9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Don't forget his stint in Washington.

Martyball in Minnesota? It could fit.

10. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I like this. Can't rep you yet though, because I've been terribly negligent.

11. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Hopefully today's game will land him a job back with San Diego!!!

12. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Marty still sucks.

13. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    But Norv sucks 30 times worse!!!

Hey, he solved our play off problem.
    We have no play off hopes to worry about!!!

14. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Marty can blow me.

You're a one trick pony, B4life .....

15. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    They don't need Marty. They just embarassed us.

16. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

And what can Norv do for you, Shammy?

You're just hating without purpose.
    I hate Norv because he's a proven "Franchise Killer!!!"

Under Marty, we'd be 6-2 right now. Maybe even 7-1.

17. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    WE need Marty!!!

FIRE NORV NOW!!!!

18. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I never have liked Norv. He was last on my list for HC.

But, Marty needed to go, and Marty still sucks. :bolt:

19. loweezy

loweezy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    Did you really give him Norv fair chance? You're saying he's a proven franchise killer, when really he's been head coach of 2 teams, the Skins and a horrible Raiders team. So can you kill a team that is horrible? If you want to say it's proven he killed the Skins franchise, then fine, but they haven't really done anything before or after his departure.

4 and 12 in 1993 prior to hiring Norv and nothing afterwards. Proven? I say hardly. Not to say that the guy he is a good coach, but I don't think he's been given a fair shot in San Diego by the Media or by the Fans. It's just the same recycled garbage.

20. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    That is what I'm saying.
    And now he's driving a great team into the ground!!

21. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Yup. It's best we just don't make the playoffs at all.
    That way, we have no playoffs to worry about.

22. loweezy

loweezy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    I don't see how he killed the skins franchise. They were bad before he came, mediocre while he was there, and bad after.

23. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

They were had but had a good plan to rebuild with Norv being part of it.
    They put together a potentially good team but Norv took them the wrong way!!

24. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    I hate Marty and last year was our best shot ever.

Fuc him.

25. OverVolt

OverVolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18

:icon_rofl: Yeah, well, this team was a whole lot better with him as HC.
    It's hard to take anyone serious who seems to know nothing about the history of this team.
    Suppose besides your lame "Marty sucks", you could add, "but Norv sucks even more"...you might get a little cred.
    This team would have NEVER lost to a 2-5 Vikings team with a third string QB. Nor would they have lost to KC...and probably not the Pack either.
    Marty wasn't perfect, he and Cameron used to piss me off all the time...but at least we were getting mentioned in the same sentence as the superbowl...now we are headed towards being the joke we were before Marty got here.

26. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I don't believe that.
    Rivers will never get better?
    Our receivers will never get better?

Better fire Norv fast before that becomes a possibility!!! :eek:

27. OverVolt

OverVolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    I don't know about Rivers, he's fine when things are going his way...but put him in a bad situation, and he seems to wilt...he can't put this offense on his back...he just isn't that tough.
    Our receivers...who knows, they haven't been better in a long time, and today's performance didn't show us anything against a weak secondary.
    As long as Norv is the HC, I agree, this team will not get better.

28. OverVolt

OverVolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's just to bad Marty told D-Flo to head butt...or Parker to fumble down at our end of the field, or to drop two drive killing passes...or Mcree to have the ball stripped...Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We all HATE the only coach to bring respectablity to this team in a decade...what a joke...
    Why don't you hate on the two players that killed our chances? Parker and D-flo...Oh wait, that would be to truthful.
    Maybe you should start hating on Norv and AJ...they are the two who have really killed this team.

29. loweezy

loweezy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    Two games come to mind for Rivers. Cincy and Denver last year. He can't?