1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

San Diego tries to overcome suspensions, schedule

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Oct 28, 2006.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,847
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/tim_layden/10/27/chargers/index.html?eref=writers

Literal interpretation of Life in Chargerland: 75 degrees, low humidity, light breezes, the sun always shines. The Bolts practice on a wide expanse of Mission Valley Bermuda grass that stretches from the back door of the team's offices to the base of a verdant hillside that rises toward the blue sky. Paradise.

Figurative interpretation: The sun, in fact, does not always shine. Several Chargers have been ill-behaved lately (think of them as the Bengals with training wheels), and on Sunday the team will play the Rams at home without a chunk of its defense. Trouble in paradise.

Choose your approach: tan lines or story lines.

The Chargers are 4-2 in the not-so-young season. They are one of eight 4-2 teams in the league, and all are straddling a line. On one side of the line is prosperity and on the other side failure. Six games into the season, all but the faintest whiff of the summer's formless promise is gone; in its place is a rapidly building reality. But there is still hope. October's 4-2 can become January's 12-4. Or it can collapse into 6-10.

2. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    In the making for a super bowl season.

3. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I agree with the article.

We NEED to win both of these games coming up and go 6-2 otherwise even if we split and end up 6-3, we run the risk of missing the playoffs because an 11-5 record may not cut it.

12-4 gets us in the playoffs.

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,888
    who would we lose to? I'm thinking that at denver will be one fo them regardless

5. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Obviously I'd like to see us finish 12-4 or better, but I would be very surprised if 11-5 isn't good enough for postseason this year. Last season was the exception, something that almost NEVER happens where good 10-6 teams don't even have a shot at postseason.

6. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I think we lose in Denver once which means if we lose one of these next two we need to run the table to get to 12-4.

I have a feeling we will lose one more game that we should not have lost and then that would put us at 11-5 and maybe we are screwed.

Cinci comes to mind.

7. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    At some point the law of large numbers dictates we have to win one of these close ones eventually, don't we?

8. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    Too much "Illbehaving" can cost us the Playoffs -
    a sportsman should be aware of alcohol, drugs and bullets
    I wish the second and third teamers well to fit in an get the job done.
    6-2 after the next two games is a must.:yes:

9. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    well be seein em in the playoffs, as long as our defense executes properly, as in stops the ball on the last play, when its all tied up, and tackling properly

10. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    We beat cleveland, beat cin, lose to den, beat raiders, beat k.c, beat bills, beat broncos, beat seahawks, beat cardinals.

No way in hell we find ourselves out of the playoffs this year. the toughest games we face are the bengals and the broncos, only cuz they are away games. if we finish our biz in our house, we should be fine.

11. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    We're going to win in Denver. It's time. :yes: :bolt:

• Like Like x 1
  12. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +14
    I was hoping this was the year we would overcome the cheating mile high air and chop blocking and knock of the Donks in their own stinking house.... but the losses on defense may be too costly.

13. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,516
    Don't lose the faith. Igor and Phillips will both be back for that game. There was a reason Igor had surgery when he did. He could have continued to play, but he wanted to be 100% for the meat of the schedule.

It will suck not having Merriman, but it's time for us to step up and prove we are not a one player defense. Merriman is great, but the pundits act like he's the only playmaker we have on defense. That's the furthest thing from the truth.

14. O'reilly

O'reilly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +454
    It's not just his playmaking, but what his mere presence forces the offense to do. McCree said today in an article that because of the way Merriman moves around, McCree can see/read which way the offense will slant it's blocking schemes. He said he can literally hear the QB and OLineman yelling to eachother to find Merriman...McCree said Merrimans mere presence puts tremendous pressure on the offense and forces the QB to change formations which in McCrees opinion is a definite advantage for the defense. He also said that the only other player that he could see a noticeable difference when he was out was Julius Peppers. He said that normally, good defenses can overcome one or even two good players being out, but guys like Merriman and Peppers just present too many problems for the QB/OLine for them not to be missed...
    I think if we can run the ball in Denver (which I do not believe we have ever done) and control the clock, we have a shot...but Merriman being out does hurt our chances...certainly having Philips and Igor back will help...as everyone knows, against Denver you must stop the run and force Jake to beat you...if we can do that we can win without Shawne...the front 3 and the Oline are the keys to this game for us...

15. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    We must protect the Q, split the road. 12-4. It's a pretty standard formula for making the playoffs. I do think that we're going to drop one we should have won. But like last year, when we marched into Indy and put them down, we're going to pick up something on the road that we prolly shouldn't. We've got tough games agains Cinci, Donks and Seahawks down the stretch. We must win at least one of these games to make the playoffs.

And I do not want to see that ******* Ocho johnson dance I want to see Jammer put him on his ***!!!!!!