1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

San Diego's Championship Game history

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by WonderSlug, Jan 22, 2008.

1. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2005
    I just thought I'd take a cruise down memory lane and look at San Diego's 4 AFC Championship appearances, from most recent, all the way back to the first (well, first after the AFL/NFL merger).

January 2008 - 14 point underdogs lost by 9 to possibly the greatest team ever, 21-12, with a banged up group of players on offense. Game played in Foxboro, MA, in cold, freezing, windy weather.

January 1995 - 9.5 point underdogs, beat Pittsburgh, 17-13, in Pittsburgh, PA. It was very cold and rainy that day.

January 1982 - 7 point underdogs (I think), lost 27-7, to Cincinnati, in a super blizzard and worse weather than Green Bay's two playoff games this season. It snowed the entire game, and wind chill reached -59 degrees Fahrenheit. This a week after the 4+ hour epic down in Miami that sapped all the players strengths in tropical summer-like weather. Game played in Cincinnati, OH.

January 1981 - 7 point favorite (I think), lost to Oakland 34-27. It ended up raining pretty badly during the game as Oakland jumped out to a quick 21 points in the first quarter and they rode that lead to victory. Played in San Diego, CA.

Only one NFL AFC Championship have the Bolts played at home, and it was the only one in which they were favored.
  2. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2005
    wasn't the strike the next year? I think that year everyone went to the playoffs and we lost to Miami. That was the year they had 16 teams in the playoffs.

damn, I'm getting old