1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

San Diego's Jackson is becoming a receiving star

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    San Diego's Jackson is becoming a receiving star
    November 6, 2009 12:00 PM

[​IMG]
    Jeff Lewis/Icon SMI
    Chargers receiver Vincent Jackson has established himself as one of the top weapons in San Diego’s offense.Posted by ESPN.com’s Bill Williamson

Nnamdi Asomugha was one of the last Oakland players to leave the visitor’s locker room Sunday after a loss to San Diego. While putting on the finishing touches to his designer outfit, Asomugha discussed the talents of one of the best players on the field that day.

“I really like Vincent Jackson,” Asomugha said. "I just like his game. He plays with a lot of confidence. He knows he’s going to make a play. I think he is on his way [to becoming an elite receiver]. If he continues to work hard, he’ll get there.”

Asomugha’s praise is high. The astute cornerback is probably the best in the NFL and is also a top-flight student of the game.

Jackson has been one of the most productive receivers in the NFL this season and the fifth-year veteran is becoming dominant. He gave Oakland fits Sunday, catching seven passes for 103 yards. He had five catches, including a touchdown, on one series.

At 6-foot-5, 240 pounds with excellent speed for a receiver, Jackson can be hard to contain. He can take over games. He is San Diego quarterback Philip Rivers’ favorite target and the two have become one of the best tandems in the NFL. Jackson is superior in both the possession game and in the deep game.

With Jackson’s size, speed and production, Rivers believes the 26-year old Jackson deserves to be considered one of the game’s brightest receivers.

“He’s as good as there is in my opinion,” Rivers said. “He’s right up there with anybody in the league at going to attack the football down the field … You want to get him as many opportunities as you can.”

Jackson, who has 13 catches for 245 yards in the past two games, is third in the NFL in receiving yards with 664 yards on 37 catches. He has five touchdowns. He has converted first downs on 32 of his receptions. His 86.5 first-down percentage rate is the highest in the NFL among players who have 31 or more catches. According to ESPN Stats & Information, Jackson, a second-round pick from tiny Northern Colorado, is fourth in the NFL among receivers with three plays of 40-plus yards. He also does not have a dropped pass this season.

Jackson thrives on being a complete receiver.

“I try to be as dynamic a receiver as I can be,” Jackson said. “I don’t want to be known as just a big guy who is going to go catch the 40-yard bomb. I want to be a third-down guy, a possession guy. I think I had a couple catches on third down the last couple weeks, some slants and stuff like that. They can move me around and put me anywhere and match me up. I think that really helps us out as an offense.”

Jackson’s effect on the offense is wide-ranging. He has become a focal point as the Chargers have become much more of a passing team than a running team. He also has taken pressure off of Pro Bowl tight end Antonio Gates. Gates is facing a lot more single coverage now that Jackson has exploded.

Opposing teams are noticing Jackson for many reasons. Foremost is that he is a pending free agent. If there isn't a new collective bargaining agreement (CBA), Jackson will be a restricted free agent. If there is a new CBA, Jackson will be an unrestricted free agent. San Diego has several pending free agents, but Jackson is becoming the team’s biggest free-agent priority.

Whatever happens, Jackson is sure to break the bank. He probably will get a contract north of the six-year, $48 million deal Atlanta’s Roddy White signed in August.

But don’t expect Jackson to talk about his contract push. He doesn’t talk about much.

In an era of the diva receiver, Jackson is a throwback. He doesn’t make waves and he’s known in the organization for his study habits and solid blocking in the running game. He is not Ochocinco or T.O.

Jackson doesn’t feel as if he’s missing anything by straying from the norm of today’s big-talking receiver.

“And I’m OK with that. I enjoy that,” Jackson said. “Staying under the radar is not a problem when we have so many big-name guys on this team and very talented football players. I’m just doing my job, blending in, staying even keel and having fun out there.”

2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,552
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

3. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    Of all the off-season contracts that need to get done Jackson and McNeill are the top two on my list.

4. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,552
    Losing Jackson would be a big blow, and you know Jerry Jones is going to target him.

5. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    AJ should have extended him a year or two ago. Now it will cost him a pretty penny.

Once he started catching with his hands it was clear this guy was going to become a major force. Between Gates and him, wow, serious weapons.

6. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Franchise Tag! :tup:

7. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Just pay the man, AJ/Spanos. Keep PR happy. :tup:

8. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Yeah, but if AJ did that two years ago people on the forums would be complaining why he extended an injury-prone near-bust that hadn't produced much.

9. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Exactly. I have to admit I would be one of them....:lol:

10. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    Not only is VJ good in his own right, but the fact that he now takes pressure off of Gates and Floyd.... we should be throwing the ball on EVERY down!!! Even if it's a four yard slant on first down. I'm okay with picking up four and five yards with short, quick passes. Once the D moves up, hit them long. You can use the short pass just as effectively as a running game. Throw Naanee in there and we have a pretty darn scary offense.... with either LT or Sproles coming out of the backfield, too.

11. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Jackson finally grew up last year in the playoffs.

He did something no Chargers WR had ever done including Bambi. When VJ had all those yards before halftime a few games ago - bang. Dude set a record and I was thinking - wow - that is something considering John Jefferson - Wes Chandler - Kellen Winslow and this dude VJ did it. That is 50 years of football. I thought he would beat Wes Chandler's record game of 270 yards (something like that) and the dude is capable. Then again, I thought David Boston was capable but he turned into a sweet smelling (according to David) pile of ****.

12. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    :lol:

And you were one of the ones calling VJ soft back in 2006 because he got a few freak injuries, including running into that hand truck near the edge of the endzone in that preseason game versus the Packers.

He ended up with a "scratched lung". :icon_eek:

13. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    VJ has been a man among boys so far this season. He makes play after play and can snatch the ball right out of the air. We just need to get him a driver so he can have his fun too!!!

14. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I had VJ in the same boat as Reche Caldwell for a couple of years. I could not shake the stench of David Boston and the woodie I got when David arrived. VJ reminded me of Boston so much so that it became natural to think "ahh fck this guy" :lol: BUT the last two years and especially last year, VJ made me a believer.

Hey Fouts had me pissed until year two of Coryell. We had a 4 or 5 years of a head start of hate on Fouts he was so ******. I came around eventually. :abq2: :tup:

15. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Yeah, one good thing VJ has that Boston didn't is a great attitude.

VJ will talk with fans and sign autographs.

Boston had a "get the f--- away from me" attitude.

16. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    This is the guy they need to pay. Period. He IS the top signing priority on this team now that Rivers is locked up and they need to get it done.

They can deal with losing Merriman or Sproles if necessary...although I would personally like to try to keep all of them.

IMO, they should just get rid of McNeill...He would be wasted spending as a big signing. The guy has been underperforming...can't run block to save his life...and is a MASSIVE injury risk. Cut bait with Big Mac and use our 1st rounder on an OT in a draft that is loaded at that position. In fact, use our first 4 picks on either OL or DL.

Our priorities should be as follows:

1. Lock VJ up at all costs. Give him Larry Fitz money.

2. Try to lock in Sproles and give him starting (but not star) RB money.
    3. Try to sign Merriman at a more reasonable deal that is substantially less than DeMarcus Ware money (I know it will never happen...but try)
    4. Re-up with Gatesy
    5. Draft Beef.

Separately, dump McNeill this year and Cromartie next. Not worth the money. Try to re-do LT's deal again this year or show him the door.....He may be worth keeping if 2010 is uncapped since it may be a couple of years before they find another RB.....The OLine and playcalling is what is really wrong with our running game anyway.

17. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979