1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

San Diego's Rivers leads charge into playoffs

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson

SAN DIEGO -- Last Sunday night, Philip Rivers was the mayor of Qualcomm Stadium.

He basked in the aftermath of the Chargers' 52-21 romp over Denver in a game that decided the AFC West title. The victory capped San Diego's recovery from a 4-8 start and enhanced Rivers' reputation as Mr. December: He's 14-0 as starting quarterback in the month. Now winners of four straight, the Chargers play host to Indianapolis on Saturday in a wild-card game.

After routing the Broncos, it seemed Rivers wanted to live in Qualcomm Stadium. He did countless interviews, signed footballs for anyone who asked, and shook hands and greeted stadium workers.

He was devouring the moment.

"It makes it all worth it," said Rivers as he finally snaked his way out of the stadium and toward the players' parking lot. "It was a long road. But we got here. That's all you ever want. You just want a chance. And we have it against the Colts."

Without Rivers, the Chargers aren't in the playoffs. Rivers isn't going to win the league MVP award simply because players on 8-8 teams don't get the consideration. But Rivers deserves that consideration.

Rivers simply willed the San Diego Chargers to the playoffs.

Rivers set a team single-season record with 34 touchdown passes. He threw only 11 interceptions and led the NFL with a 105.5 quarterback rating. He was spectacular in December and was named the AFC offensive player of the month. Rivers was the prime reason the Chargers are the first team in NFL history to advance to the playoffs after starting 4-8.

In the December run, Rivers led San Diego to three blowout wins. He was most thrilling in the only thriller. In Week 15 in Kansas City, Rivers rallied San Diego from an 18-point fourth-quarter deficit to a 22-21 victory. That victory gave San Diego the energy to catch Denver.

"Philip has been terrific," San Diego coach Norv Turner said.

Rivers' play has been so vital to the Charger's turnaround that his defensive teammates couldn't wait to get the ball back in his hands.

"We don't want to give up a lot of yards but at the end of the day if we can get turnovers and put the ball in Philip Rivers' hands we know he's going to do a great job with it," Stephen Cooper said. "As long as we keep doing that we'll be all right."

Many in San Diego are upset Rivers, the No. 4 overall draft pick in 2004, didn't get invited to the Pro Bowl. Indianapolis' Peyton Manning, Denver's Jay Cutler and New York's Brett Favre were the AFC's three quarterbacks selected to play in Hawaii in February. Rivers was the first alternate. With Favre injured, Rivers is likely to replace him.

Rivers laughed off theories that his late-season play was spurred by his Pro Bowl snub. He said his only motivation was getting San Diego back to the playoffs.

"This, right here, is what it is about," Rivers said. "I've I had a chip on my shoulder it was because I don't want this team to have a losing record. We all went through this losing streak. And we needed to find a way to get out of it. That's what drove me: Winning, getting better.

"Sure, I would have liked to have been voted into the Pro Bowl but it's not what drove me. I didn't dwell on it. I was worried about getting to the playoffs. Now, that we're here, we have a chance. That's what the chip on the shoulder was."

Rivers believes the Chargers have just as good as chance to make a deep playoff run now as they did last season. The Chargers went 11-5 in 2007, including six victories to close the regular season. They won their first two playoffs games before losing to New England in the AFC title game.

"Look, we started slow for the second straight season, but again we're starting to peak at the right time," Rivers said. "We don't make it easy for ourselves. But I really like where this team is right now. I really do. We're headed in the right direction at the right time."

Perhaps that's why Rivers didn't want to leave the stadium.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0-3-1241/San-Diego-s-Rivers-leads-charge-into-playoffs.html

2. Lucas™

Lucas™ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    My god Philip OWNS.

3. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    And we will PWN the Colts!

4. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I remember draft day 2004. After we traded for Rivers, I went into the UT board and stated "We finally have a championship QB on our roster" boy, did I catch hell for that.:bolt: :lol: :tup:

5. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    From who?!:innocent:

:joke: :joke: :joke:

6. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    :icon_rofl: - I remember.

Anyone who said anything remotely resembling Rivers being the "Chosen One" caught hell. :yes:

I also remember anyone who hated Brees had to be a bad fan. :yes:

How the mighty have fallen in disgrace (reads Concudan etc etc etc). :lol:

7. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Bwaaaaahahahahaha! You were the guy stabbing Rivers in the back last season. Your chosen one. Now you want to talk disgrace?

The fact that you think other fans are disgraced is a badge of honor... Or would be if you didnt throw around such statements like it was confetti at a new years party! :icon_rofl:

8. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    Good point. Unlike Trumpie you stand by your mistakes. :yes:

9. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I admit them and move on. I was wrong (I think) about Cromartie and aditted it.

I said that I had nothing to base the comparison of Rivers v. Bress on, therefore could not proclaim him the 'chosen one'.

When Rivers proved it to me, I admited it and stayed with him. I didnt shank him when I was depresed like ugle Boy has.

So pbbbbbttttttt!

10. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    AJ understands the desire. I told him to hold off on benching Rivers last year mid season and the message was heard. Rivers responded. He knew the prophet had squeezed the proverbials.

I still want to slash Fouts' tires for the first 3 or 4 years he played here. That was hideous.

11. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    fouts would beotch slap you into next year... Then you would be older and uglier! :icon_tease:

12. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Does anyone else remember that feeling towards the end of a game, either winning or losing, that Brees was going to do something to either lose the game or kill a winning drive? :icon_shrug:

I do - and I don't get that feeling w/Rivers. :no:

Rivers has the heart of a lion. :bolt:

And he's a fast healer. :tup: :lol:

13. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820

Ugle Boy. :icon_rofl:

Ugly + Bugle = Ugle.

:abq1::abq2::abq1:

14. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I think I'd prefer Bugly. :icon_banana:

15. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Bugly works as well... Fugle?

16. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    :tup:

Ding ding ding....we have a winner.

17. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Bugly or fugle? I like 'em both. :icon_rofl:

18. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    http://profootballxxx.com/index.php/topic,143.0.html

I started a thread called TrumpetMan's Biittch Slap at that new kickass site everyone is talking about.

You mo fos are going to be the stars in the next video podcast show. My prowess is beyond this dimension. :icon_banana:

......More exciting episodes to come ...... :yes: Some posters (chuck f., nicklebolt, etc etc :icon_rofl:) here are already featured in exclusive sound bites. :lol:

19. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Conc, it was bad. I was banned on two different names then that piece of wasted foreskin known as L tired to get me banned. It was rough and I remember Trumpie joining the Rivers rough riders, All hell broke lose in those day's. Oh how I loved it!!!!!! :bolt: :tup: :icon_toast:

20. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    What names were you banned under... Tell me you are not Guffy! :icon_tease: :icon_rofl:

21. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Black and blue thunder and blitz something or another hell I don't remember the last one I had over there. I was whitelightning on the CMB and can't use it anymore. Hell i might have been Hexed as my last name over there at the UT, I really can't remember.

22. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    LOL I didnt know that. Oh well. Hexed is here to stay! :abq2:

We need to get some posters to follow you around a while posting that you are a legend after all your posts.

Where is Buck and Leo? :lol:

23. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    They're around, Buck seems pretty cool. I don't know Leo to well, I know he was on the UT boards but it's been I think two years since I posted there and at CMB.:icon_shrug::icon_huh: