1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

San Diego's World Cup Bid - Changes Bolts' Stadium Outlook?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Enormo, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/jan/13/1s13socpage/

2. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    God I hope this happens for us.

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Combine that with a strong Chargers playoff push and the chant for a new stadium will be exponentially louder

4. paddyirishman

paddyirishman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +60

I hope the stadium is built for sure

But on the topic of the World Cup, thinking back to USA 1994 it conjures up this memory for me.Giants Stadium 18th June 94
    One of the greatest moments in our nations history.

Roll on USA 2022!!

5. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,583
    As much as I'd LOVE to see San Diego get this, I don't think it'll happen. Of all those remaining cities, Dallas, with it's HUGE stadium will get it. Bank on it. Jerry Jones seems to be getting ALL of the special events.

6. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    The World Cup doesn't like to play games in a domed stadium, even if it has a retractable roof.

Reliant and Cowboys Stadums are out.

The Cotton Bowl though, or DKR Memorial where the Texas Longhorns play, could host games.

7. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,583
    They will LOVE the Jerrydome if they can get 90,000 asses in the seats. Throw in another 10,000 to 15,000 in the standing room/party area, and it's a done deal.

Don't get me wrong, I still want it here, new stadium or not. But Jerry seems to get what he wants.

8. TheBoltEater

TheBoltEater BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    They don't play the World Cup at a single stadium, they play it at a dozen stadiums. JerryWorld is unquestionably going to be one of the selected stadiums, as is the Rose bowl and the new Meadowlands. But a new stadium in San Diego would have a great chance of making the final cut as well.

9. paddyirishman

paddyirishman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +60
    If memory serves me correct they used The Detroit Lions old stadium, The Silverdome during the 1994 World Cup, however thats the only time an indoor stadium has ever been used in the World Cup finals.

Also FIFA is made up of 6 conferations, covering Europe, Asia, North and Central America, South America, Africa and finally Oceania. The Oceania confed covers Australia, New Zealand etc and this area has never held a World Cup Finals yet. Australia are likely to bid for 2022, and if they get their act together will be awarded the Finals imo.

10. TheBoltEater

TheBoltEater BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2

Yes, the Silverdome was a site in 94. American soccer fans should remember it as the place where this happened.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHtbb3yd9wM&feature=related/

And while Australia is a great country which certainly deserves a World Cup, I don't think they have much of a chance to beat out the US for 2022. The 1994 World Cup is still the best attended of all time, and going England 2018 and USA 2022 back-to-back would be an economic windfall for FIFA. Australia 2026 makes a ton of sense, however.

Also, for the record, Australia are not in the Oceania Confederation anymore. They are (at least as far as FIFA is concerned) in Asia now.

11. paddyirishman

paddyirishman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +60
    Well spotted Bolteater regarding Australia now in the Asia confed, I was just testing you:lol:

All will be revealed in 2015 or something, but my money is on the Aussies

12. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    :tup: