1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Sanders: Chargers can play at the Q, decision is theirs

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    By Kevin Acee
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

5:32 p.m. October 25, 2007
    Whether the Chargers host the Houston Texans this weekend at Qualcomm Stadium is up to them, Mayor Jerry Sanders said Thursday afternoon. Should they decide to play in San Diego, the stadium will be ready on Sunday,” said Fred Sainz, the mayor's spokesman. “It's their decision to play in San Diego or not.”
    The Chargers had no comment as of 5:20 p.m. but could have one later, spokesman Bill Johnston said.
    Earlier Thursday, Chargers officials were optimistic the game would be played in San Diego, perhaps on Monday night.
    In Houston earlier Thursday, Texans coach Gary Kubiak said he didn't know anything for sure, “But the indications to us were that we were going to play on Monday night in San Diego. That's the last thing I've been told.” The Chargers had been deferring to Sanders until the mayor's statements around 5 p.m.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20071025-1732-bn25chargers.html

2. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    A decision by the Chargers would bring to a close a week of uncertainty that saw the team leave Tuesday for Arizona with the idea they might remain on the road for a game.

Qualcomm Stadium has fewer than 400 evacuees remaining, and the stadium is going to be closed as a shelter Friday.
    The league and Chargers had considered playing the game in Dallas had the mayor said Qualcomm was not an option. The Chargers will practice for a third straight day Friday in Tempe, Ariz., and then plan on returning home.

3. oldschool1

oldschool1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    I doubt it also but you never know.

Oldie Out

4. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    The air quality is fine. I suspect that it will improve ten fold by Sunday.

The game is going to be played at the Q. Bank on it.

5. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,424
    Darth Charger?

Darth Padre?

6. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    From CBS8.com

Mission Valley is not listed. So It should be ok especially by Sunday.

Local air quality will range from moderate to hazardous, according to the County Air Pollution Control District. Particulate matter (PM 2.5) levels will be unhealthy for Chula Vista, Del Mar, Downtown San Diego, El Cajon, Escondido, Otay Mesa, Kearny Mesa and Oceanside.

7. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    The Chargers just released a statement, and it says absolutely nothing.

STATEMENT FROM THE SAN DIEGO CHARGERS

As Mayor Jerry Sanders said this afternoon, the Chargers remain in regular communication with both the City of San Diego and the National Football League. The Chargers are working with the Mayor’s Office and the NFL to ensure that all aspects of this situation are carefully evaluated and that the best possible decision for the people of San Diego is ultimately reached. The Chargers will continue to do everything possible to provide Mayor Sanders with the flexibility he needs to determine what is in the public interest.

8. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Dude .. El Cajon is always moderate to hazardous.

9. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Mission Valley is right in the middle of the areas listed. The difference in air quality in the valley will be neglible, if not a bit worse. If air quality is the deciding factor, then don't look for them to play here. If it was my decision, I wouldn't risk the players. Getting gassed playing football in this kind of air is defyng fate-not tempting it. Love to have them play here, but it looks dubious at the moment. Sunday is a roll of the dice. There is no clearing wind in the forecast.

10. MONDO.

MONDO. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +36
    Lol it's funny how the chargers and the mayor are playing hot-potato with the responsibility of making the call... first the chargers toss it to the mayor then he tosses back to the chargers, hopefully it ends there.

Any official announcement yet? It looking like the chargers are playing at home where they belong... charred or not dago loves its chargers and the stomping of the Texans will do much very needed spirit-raising!

BOLTS UP! :yes:

11. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Monday Nighter in San Diego, Please!!!

:bolt: :flag: :yes: :abq2: :abq1: :icon_party: :icon_toast:

12. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171

That's what I was thinking but hopefully they all get some rest tonight and make the call tomorrow (whoever they may be).

Not to sound selfish (but I am) I hope the out-of-towners get to see it on TV especially if it's a monday night game.

:bolt:

13. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    the problem is that most of that crap was blown from east to west during the santa anas and now, because of the coastal breezes, that crap is being blown back into San Diego.

14. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    My guess is that they are just discussing with the league about whether it be on Monday or not.

15. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    I sure hope that Sanders ran this decision by Michael Aguirre, maybe that’s what’s taking so long.

16. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    Contractually can they do that?

Television contracts would have to be changed to get that going, wouldn’t they?

17. bigcarson50

Ratings:
    +54
    They've done it before.

18. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    done what before?

19. bigcarson50

Ratings:
    +54
    Moved the day of a game in extreme circumstances.

a year or two ago, they moved a chiefs dolphins game UP two days to Fri.

A saints game got moved to Monday after Katrina as well.

20. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    I remember that Chiefs & Dolphins Game, did they move a Saints game to Monday night?

21. bigcarson50

Ratings:
    +54
    Just let the players bower your mask

22. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    They did, I remember there was a double header. Well not really a double header since the games interlapped, but there were 2 games.