1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Sanders, supervisors meet privately on stadium

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Sydalish, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Sanders, supervisors meet privately on stadium

By Matthew T. Hall
    Monday, November 30, 2009 at 8:38 p.m.

San Diego Mayor Jerry Sanders met privately with two members of the county Board of Supervisors, Dianne Jacob and Ron Roberts, Monday afternoon to discuss the possibility of building a downtown football stadium for the Chargers.

All three declined interviews through spokespeople after a Sanders spokesman notified the media about the hourlong meeting at 6 p.m., 45 minutes after it ended.

“Today we met to discuss regional strategies for assisting the San Diego Chargers in locating a football stadium downtown,” the e-mail from the Mayor’s Office said. “The Chargers are a regional asset and helping them will require regional cooperation.”

It ended, “This is the first of several meetings that we will have to discuss ideas for solving the significant challenges that lie ahead.”

Mayoral spokesman Darren Pudgil did not return phone calls Monday night. In a text message, he said the mayor was “out of pocket” and characterized Sanders’ meeting with the supervisors — his first with the duo on the subject in more than three years — as “very preliminary.”

“We’re going to continue to meet,” Pudgil wrote. “That’s all there is at this point.”

Tim McClain, a spokesman for Roberts, said the date of a next meeting has not been set.

“The mayor’s driving this bus,” McClain said. “This is the city’s project.”
    McClain said Roberts “is interested in helping the Chargers stay in San Diego County. I can’t say that he’s interested in spending county resources. That’s not what was discussed. They met to discuss strategies.”

Jennifer Stone, a spokeswoman for Jacob, declined to comment beyond Pudgil’s e-mail. “That statement sums it up,” she said.

Sanders has met with Jacob and Roberts to discuss a new football stadium at least twice before, in August 2006 and again in October 2006.

In between those meetings, the county supervisors and the City Council separately voted to work together to help the Chargers and also agreed to consider forming a joint powers authority, an independent legal entity with the ability to issue bonds and assemble property.

But that collaboration fizzled.

But Sanders is now suggesting that the Chargers consider building a new football stadium east of Petco Park on property bounded by K, 14th and 16th streets and Imperial Avenue. The city’s downtown redevelopment arm, the Centre City Redevelopment Corp., has hired a consultant to study how to pay for a stadium at the site.

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Syd, have you heard anything further regarding the environmental issues at both the transit lot & the Wonder Bread building?

3. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    nothing more than the tanks leaked and the city is ultimately going to be responsible for the clean-up. of course, they have had more than 20 years to get it done already so I'm hoping the stadium will be a catalyst for the much needed fix. It all comes down to $$ tho I suppose...

one thing to consider is tho, if they do put a new stadium there... I would imagine they are going to have to dig out the area pretty deep anyway and take away the dirt so... might not be as big of a problem? I'm not familiar with the environmental laws/regulations/procedures regarding the necessary clean-up tho so maybe I'm off base :icon_shrug:

4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Yeah, I don't know how much dirt has to be excavated for either process. I'm certain that the building excavation depends upon a few points - design, capacity, soil compaction, geological concerns, etc. By the same token, the clean-up will depend upon the extent of the leak, its expansion, enviro regs, etc.

Seems pretty callous of the city to have let this go on for so long, especially in light of the proximity to a geological fault & to the shore.

Obviously everyone in CA isn't a tree-hugging greenie. :lol:

5. PB Bolt

PB Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +138
    On top of all the other hurdles, fault zones are going to come up again before it's all over.

We worked with a developer a couple years ago who was trying build a commercial / residential monstrosity where this proposed stadium would go. The Centre City Development Corporation (The City Board) made the code requirements basically cost-prohibitive. There's a LONG way to go before this could be a reality unless a connected city honcho wants it bad enough. I'm looking in your direction Sanders.

Curiously enough, Petco slid right in next door without any of these roadblock considerations- there was nothing downtown at that time.

Attached Files:

6. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    I beleive there is a similar issue under Qualcomm stadium from the fuel tanks just up the I-15 which have seeped under the stadium property and would be a multi-million dollar cleanup price tag associated with any construction projects there.

7. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    There is a massive plume under downtown that has been produced by multiple sources and which is edging its way toward the bay. This was my first thought on hearing about the meeting. Clean up costs could warp the whole financial picture for the stadium project. Be a good use of stimulus funds.