1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Say, for example, Michael Oher and Tyson Jackson are on the board at 16...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by J-Grease, Mar 28, 2009.

1. J-Grease

J-Grease BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    Who do we take?

I say Oher. He is the next Orlando Pace. Jackson is the next Ryon Bingham.

2. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    That's hard, but i'll take Jackson. O-linemen tend to be better in the later rounds, like Shaun Andrews or Steve Hutchinson.

3. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Holy ****, did you guys really NOT watch LSU this year??

Tyson Jackson ****ing sucks!
    I wouldnt even draft him in the 2nd if he was available and we had a 2nd rounder

4. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    Hutchinson was a top 17 draft pick

5. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59
    I just read the blind side and I would kill to have Michael Oher on the chargers. But don't we already have big Mac? why would we draft an left tackle? but it would be awesome to have him on the team.

And from all the mock drafts I do think he will be there at 16, but I don't think we'll grab him.

6. sickswonnyne

sickswonnyne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79
    They say because of his lack of instincts, (frankly, not much of a killer instinct), he maybe suited better for RT. At least until he really figures out the game. That way, we can have Big Mac and Big Mike on opposite ends of the line. That would be insane!!!

But I read the" Ballad of Big Mike" from that book, and really do root for him to succeed. Oher already has a book and a movie about his life coming out, and he claims he hasn't bothered to read it!

I've mentioned this in an older post, but I do wonder how he's gonna react from being broke and in foster homes his whole life to a multi-millionaire. I hope he has someone he can trust, cuz he's gonna be a huge target for swindlers and scammers.

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    So was Shawn Andrews. Stacy Andrews was a 5th rounder and Shawn's the better player.

I'd go more with Oher because personally I don't like to give high draft picks to 3-4 DEs and I think there are some in later rounds like Vance Walker and Ricky Jean Francois that could be very good goo.

8. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Yea you're right, my fault.

9. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +502
    Were both there at #16 I take Oher.

10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Me too, even though I think we have more holes on the defensive side of the ball. Jackson is a black Igor & not nearly as strong. I'd take Hood at 16 before Jackson, even though it's a bit of a reach.

11. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +502
    Yeah..... I thought Jackson was a shoo in a few weeks ago but I'm not so sure now. All I read about him is negative. Amazing how a bad rep can stick to you so much.

Would u be takin Hood before Jerry then Buck?. Both are probably reaches at 16 alright.

Would love to see a team, wanting Sanchez bad, trade with us to get ahead of the Jets should he fall.

12. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    Tyson Jackson's problem is his lack of overall effort. He takes plays off and isnt explosive off the edge. I watched numerous games of LSU's last year and when a team game plans against him he struggles.

13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I would for 2 reasons. I see Hood as a DE & Jerry as the NT. We are in need of a NT, but I'm not sold that Jerry is the heir apparent. I'm also not crazy about the fact that he'll be 25 as a rookie.

Jerry is a manimal, but I think Hood has the potential to be one as well. I'd like to see a trade down & either get Hood later in the 1st or in the 2nd. Risky, but what a value he'd be in the 2nd round. :yes:

14. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    Good coaching could help that. Plus I doubt teams would game-plan for him, with Merriman, Phillips, and Castillo on the field.

15. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    I admittedly haven't seen THAT much of Jackson, but I would probably take a chance on him at this point. DE is a slightly higher priority than OT as we do have, at a minimum, Clary and Shelton to stop gap at RT....I'm not that comfortable with the Bingham / Cesaire rotation at DE.

I think if his problem is laziness or taking plays off, Rivera will be all over his ***. I would have questioned this with Cotrell....Not Rivera...Chico won't put up with that crap and that could turn him into a better player. As has been mentioned, the guy isn't going to be anywhere close to a focal point on this defense...and will be the 3rd priority on the 3 man D-Line for opposing linemen....If he can create some problems opposite Luis, that will be a good addition.

16. BLITZED56

BLITZED56 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50
    :lol: Good goo

I agree Ant, I think you can get a good 3-4 DE later in the draft. I'd be one happy Charger fan if Oher was available at 16.

17. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    If I'm gonna take a chance that Rivera's coaching makes the difference in a guy, I'll go with Michael Johnson over Jackson. MUCH quicker first step & better pass rushing moves.

Again - i don't want to be at 16 in this draft with our needs but, if we stay there, I'd seriously consider Hood. :yes:

18. timepiece33

timepiece33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +25
    If you watched numerous LSU games and this is the impression you got, I am not sure you know what to look for when evaluating a 3-4 DE.

The primary prerequisite for me is the ability to effectively defend the run as a 5-technique or 4-technique DE. Jackson is one of the better run stuffing DE I've seen in a while. He plays with leverage, power, uses his hands well and does a great job of making the defense one sided in that aspect of the game.

I agree he isn't explosive off the edge, but that isn't a primary prerequisite for a 3-4 DE in this system. You have Merriman and Phillips to be your edge rushers ... even Tucker. Richard Seymour isn't explosive off the edge, but he's very effective as a 3-4 DE for a reason.

To me, it would be a tough choice. Oher looks the part 90% of the time, but makes a lot of stupid decisions on stunts. Jackson fits the defense well.

Personally, I hope we trade down.

19. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    Yes that is the impression I got. He is lazy on some plays and in a 3-4 we need someone who is going to create mismatches. See what makes Merriman and Phillips good is the lines ability to take on more than one OLineman. In that case Tyson Jackson isnt your guy. I DO NOT want a lazy ***** as my 3-4 DE. Read his wrap bro, most sites you go to say the same thing, lazy and takes plays off.

20. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...This is the best possible scenario that the Bolts could ask for. This could make up for giving away picks for Hester.

21. timepiece33

timepiece33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +25
    I find most "wraps" to be full of crap. One "wrap" reads one thing and even if it isn't true ... it spreads. A few years ago, some "wraps" said Shawne Merriman and Shaun Phillips took plays off which was utter BS.

I believe it was Rich Gosselin or someone of his ilk that made up a player one year to see if people were paying attention and he made it into several draft publications even though he didn't exist.

Again, the guy is a tremendous run defender and has solid tools for a pass rusher in a 3-4 defense. He'd be a solid selection at 16 because he fits the defense.

22. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    You obviously didnt watch him this year if you think he DOESNT take plays off and that he would make a great selection

23. SDC-IL

SDC-IL BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    Perfect trade partner to pull that off...

Minnesota.

24. timepiece33

timepiece33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +25
    I'm pretty comfortable that I've watched more college football than most on this board and have seen LSU play quite a bit. For example, when people were trying to rationalize the Buster Davis selection ... I ripped it because I'd actually seen him play. A 4.4 speedster who can't adjust to the ball over his shoulder is not a deep threat.

I do believe he (like many players) takes plays off. IMO, it is overstated when comparing him to other players in this draft especially Oher. Nothing more. Nothing less. And you could read draft reports that said Merriman and Phillips took plays off, which also was overstated. I don't believe the guy is a premium pass rusher, but to disregard his run stuffing ability is ignorant.