1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Schottenheimer defends conservative approach in loss

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Critter, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Critter

Critter BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    This man will never learn.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2611078

SAN DIEGO -- Chargers coach Marty Schottenheimer defended his conservative approach in Sunday's loss at Baltimore, when the Chargers seemed content to sit on a six-point lead and ended up losing 16-13.

"You hear about 'Martyball,' but the better the defense is, the more 'Martyball' you're to get," said Schottenheimer, who has developed a reputation for run-oriented offenses.

Leading 13-7 at halftime, Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers threw only eight passes in the second half.

"When you have a quarterback with three starts … we will as the circumstances dictate, throw the ball more. But at the end of the day, you have to play to the strength of this team," Schottenheimer said Monday.

"I ultimately have the responsibility for how many games we win and how many games we lose."

Asked what he did wrong personally, Schottenheimer said: "We didn't win."

The Chargers (2-1) have a history of coughing up late leads.

Baltimore's Steve McNair threw a 10-yard touchdown pass to Todd Heap with 34 seconds left.

"I'm obviously confident in what was called," Rivers said. "If we execute every play that's called, we win."

2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    AT THE END OF THE DAY WHEN YOU HAVE YOUR FOOT ON THEIR THROATS U STOMP DOWN MARTY!!!

He treated them like the #1 Defense, thats why we lost, he was
    scared to pass the ball. Which in turm means he doesnt yet trust Rivers.

3. RMANCIL

RMANCIL Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223
    Pro coachs and in particular Marty try and not depend on a green QB to be the major focus of their offense. This should be understood by the vast majority of fans as it was a major point in the pro Bree crowds dialog for the past 9 months.

Of course if some of you just failed comprehension 101 ......

Rivers will be brought along and he will do just fine in time. He is much further advanced than any rookie QB and he understands the system very well but he does not have a lot of game experience.

Patience grass hopper... patience.

• Like Like x 1
  4. mapcap55

mapcap55 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +66

There is something that a lot of folks here have overlooked and this is it: Rivers development will lean on the strengths of the team.
    We have all heard this all offseason and, now when it happens, everyone is acting surprised?

I would love to see, as much as anybody else, the Chargers go for the jugular, and as Rivers develops we are bound to see that more often, but until he has gained the confidence of the coaching staff we will see the team lean on it's proven strengths. That really should have been enough to win this game.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    http://www.kffl.com/hotw

Chargers | Martyball is back?
    Tue, 3 Oct 2006 06:48:19 -0700

Kevin Acee, of the San Diego Union-Tribune, reports San Diego Chargers head coach Marty Schottenheimer says the team's strong defensive unit has allowed him to implement his conservative style of offense so far this season. "I assure you the better defense we have, the more you'll see of, quote, Martyball," Schottenheimer said. "It's resurrected itself a little bit. I can't walk out of a game in which we only threw the ball one time in the third quarter and say it isn't back."

6. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    The poster who registered BEFORE the game got props. The rest are just trolls who showed up after the game. Even a simpleton such as yourself knows you do not feed trolls unless he nuts up before a game and that is what separates a real man's nut sack from the gender challenged.

How's that ?

7. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Whatever happened to "Martyball is dead"?

RMAN- BS. How can you know if a young QB will perform if you never give him the opportunity? Aside from the int, he looked just fine in the first half. Run-run-run-punt. That was the gameplan in the second half. Leaning on the strengths of a team is fine, but when there are 8 or 9 guys in the box you HAVE to do something to loosen that up. Especially when they are playing with 4 DL's and 4 LB's.

I would have even been satisfied with a gadget play of some sort. Something. ANYTHING but run-run-run-punt. It was complete bullshit.

I don't know what the hell Marty expected here. I do know that I have seen enough for the umpteenth time. I can't stand this old dinosaur.

Any other coach in the league would have taken a few shots to loosen things up (or at least make them play with 4 DBs), no matter who their QB was.

We are stuck with him this year, but as soon as we lose in the first round again, AJ needs to drop Marty like a bad habit.

8. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Pay no attention to the man who dont represent the team...:lol:

9. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    You were trolling their board. You expected different?

10. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I did not. Though I must say, they have stayed in the smack area, so they are well behaved trolls.

11. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I showed up well before the game on their boards unlike the dickheads who wanted to show up after the fact here.

I did not expect anything "different" and why should I? They were right on cue.

12. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Says the man who hides 24/7:icon_eek:

:icon_tease:

13. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    When I posted on their mains, it was about my team beating the piss out of their team. Some wanted to get personal so I shrugged it off.

When we were discussing real football they decided to go for the banning.

When I returned, I kept it to the Smack Room exclusively and still got banned. :icon_rofl:

Weak.

Now I can not post over there and they need to come here. :icon_rofl:

It is almost like "here Fido..."

14. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    :lol:

15. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Hide ? :icon_rofl:

Some had to work ya doofus!!

I am here ain't I? :icon_shrug:

I pager messaged props but come to think of it I think I pager messaged the wrong birdshit lover....:icon_eek: fuc....:lol:

16. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Why can't you be nice like me?

[​IMG]

17. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    :foley53: I never gave you my word. You never had respect for me, stop being a drama queen.:bolt:

18. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    Trumpie you know how we do carne asada up here? .....with beaver meat :icon_rofl:

19. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Here is a sample pager message I sent but fuc, I think I sent it to the wrong idiot.

Since you were one of the few to register, you are one of the few to get props for yesterdays game. It was a whale of a game and a roller coaster for your fans who I even heard booing in the stands yet cheering at the end. Now you have to make the playoffs so we can do it one more time !!! psraven

20. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I get them so drunk they could be eating beaver **** and it would be all good. :lol:

21. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Then why didnt you step in and second Trumpie? You did not defend the bolt honor, and call him out for lack of showing up. What did you do agains tthe vile Raven invaders?

NADA!

22. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    Nice post ! :icon_toast:

Screw the run run run punt. Why not get the ball to LT out in space on a short screen or something ? Screen passes are pretty safe and LT out in space has a chance to make something, anything happen.

What if LT did a juke and took it to the house ? I guess we'll never know.

23. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Seems to me that a lot of people are now angry with the run, run, run, punt offense only because of the L.

After the Raiders game I posted about the run, run, run, punt offense and got blasted by many here because of it. Called such things as 'clueless', 'fair weather fan', and so on.

Now people are belly aching because of the L, not the run, run, run, punt offense. That is why I say they are fair weather fans.

Some here want to say I am getting personal, if your skin is that thin, so be it. But lets not be hypocritical in pointing fingers you all get personal when people post what you dont like.

24. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Word.

The O-line was more than holding its own against the Ravens pass rush, and Philip was NEVER on the verge of being rattled by the "situation" (On the road, tough defense, East coast, third start, blah blah blah). And yet Marty stuck with a gameplan that was GUARANTEED to keep the Ravens in the game, when we had been totally outplaying them.

Marty played it like a wuss, and that attitude can’t help but permeate throughout the entire team. I’m sick of seeing my team walking on egg shells, trying to protect a six point lead with the game barely half over.

25. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    Good point. No one seemed to complain about it after the first game.

However, as the level of competition improves, run run run punt is just not gonna work against the better teams.