1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Scifres drop in production in the NFL?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by mandude, May 29, 2007.

1. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59
    The Bolt Report says the following about Scifres:

A long distance punter out of Western Illinois who can also handle kickoff duties. In 2002, he averaged over 48 yards per punt with a long of 75.

But also says since being in the NFL, his average has been consistently 38 yards. Why would there be such a drop off? It's not like the wind is stronger in the NFL... just curious.

And before you attack me if this is a stupid question, I have very little football knowledge hence the reason I am asking....

• Like Like x 1
  2. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Sci-Fi could - if he wanted to - regularly out kick his coverage. That is what you see from the Raiders punter quite often.

Are you looking at gross and/or net average, and maybe making a comparison of one year's gross average, to the latest year's net average?

Sci-Fi is VERY good at getting punts will little or no return, because he kicks them high. He also is very good at getting punts inside the opponents twenty.

Gross average is the length of the punt, from the LOS (line of scrimmage) to where the ball lands or is caught.

Net average is the gross average minus average return yardage (or total gross yardage, minus return yardage, divided by number of punts).

Field position, after the punt, is more important to the TEAM than the punters gross (or net) average. Sci-Fi gets the job done, situationally, that is best for the Chargers - not his gross average.

IMO, he's a VERY good punter.

• Like Like x 1
  3. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Sci-Fi is probably the best punter I've ever seen, all apologies to Darren Bennett who was terrific.

Unlike Lechler who outkicks his coverage alot. Scifres' specialty is hang time. A very small percentage of his punts are returned. His net average is always near the top of the league, and the fact that almost none of his punts are returned means that opponents are unable to count on big plays in the punting game.

Scifres could kick it 60 yards every time, but that would be risky.

4. TJBOLT

TJBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +19
    Also consider that Sci-Fi usually gets a short field with our offense leading the league in multiple categories we often went 3 or 4 series without a punt and always the punters that have the best number play for bad team and usually punt from their on 20 so they have to use all of thier leg to get out of trouble.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tha rock

Tha rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    hes a really good punter second best in the west but i dont think he'll drop off too much.

6. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    How his net average compared to Lechler, since that's the stat that matters (38.2 vs 36.4) along with number of punts downed inside the 20 (35 vs 19)?

• Like Like x 1
  7. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    There is a drop in his average because, of stalled drives. When you punting from the 50 Yard line and all you are doing is pinning them up inside the 20, yup your average will drop.

The next question should how many times did he pin them inside the 20, 15, and 10 yard lines?

8. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Lechler is very overrated.

Punts inside 20:
    Scifres: 27
    Lechler: 19

Touchbacks:
    Scifres: 2
    Lechler: 19

Return Average:
    Scifres: 8.0
    Lechler: 12.9

Scifres is much better than Lechler.

• Like Like x 2
  9. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    BLASPHEMY!!

actually I agree with the points others have made. Trust me Scfres could punt a football over those mountains if he wanted to.:abq1: :icon_bow: :sci:

10. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I think this hits closest to the mark. We punted from the 40-50 yard line area quite a bit this season, which doesn't really leave much room for a 60 yard punt. Scifres ability to take a little bit off and stick a 35 yard punt inside the 20 is huge. :tup:

11. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59
    cool... thanks for clearing it up. I was wondering why the drop off. I have heard people consistently refer to him as one of the best punters, but the drop off seemed inconsistent with the position... but it's all clear now.

12. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    As has been explained, in the NFL the special-teams coaches are more concerned with tactical kicking than the pure distance of the punt. When a punter booms a 60-yard punt (which Scifres can do pretty much at will) it looks impressive, but it also allows the returner to catch the ball with a big cushion between himself and the tacklers. Because of the cushion he's able to gather himself, look for a hole, and get up to full speed before the coverage units arrive to tackle him.

Some of the biggest punt returns you'll see happen on those kinds of kicks.

Scifres only ranked 27th in the NFL in average yards per punt, but in NET yards, the truly important stat, he was ranked 6th. He was #1 in punts that were downed inside the 20. Only 39% of his punts were actually returned. The league average is somewhere around 60%.

If they measured punts in terms of their altitude, I'm pretty sure Scifres would lead the league by a wide margin.

13. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Are we really this bored?

Scifi is fine.

14. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Yes.

15. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Kicks downed inside the twenty is probably the most important of the stats for a kicker for me. Scifres can fire like a cannon when he has to, but the fact is, he kicks for position and coverage timing. When you're punting from around the fifty, the ideal is to bounce the ball somewhere inside the ten or get it caught as near the goal line as possible. Since most returners are told to let a ball bounce into the end zone and not to field a ball inside the ten, the average kicking distance can drop, but who cares. I don't how he does it, but it seems to me that a large percentage of his unfielded kicks don't bounce forward as much as most punts. Gotta like his style.

16. TheLash

Ratings:
    +715
    He uses that messed up point down Australian kicking style he learned from my previous favorite punter Darren Bennet>:icon_toast:

17. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    The data is skewed.

I love the fact that his overall net dropped. That shows we were moving the ball instead of a 3 and a out series. And I love the fact he was #1 with kicks inside the 20!

18. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    I dont care where he learned it,I care that he knows how to apply it.

19. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    A stat punters SHOULD have is opponents average starting field position after a punt. It would really be more of a team stat, but on average, the worse of a starting field position for the opponent, the better job the punter is doing.

20. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Exactly.

Scifres had 29 punts travel inside the 20 yard line, and 27 of them (93%) were downed inside the 20.

Lechler had 38 punts travel inside the 20 yard line, and only 19 of them (50%) were downed inside the 20.

21. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    SciFi should have made the Pro Bowl last year.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I still bet that the "48 yards per punt" is mentioning his first year gross average, while the "38 yards" is his recent net average. That accounts for the difference.

23. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    His recent net average is 38. His gross is well over 40, though last year it was barely over 41, which look low at first glance. But he had a lot of 35-40 yard punts where we were kicking from our own 40 or closer that were downed inside the 20, and I'm sure that didn't help his gross average at all...

24. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Darren was one of my favorite Chargers. He was just about the only punter I knew who went looking for ***** to knock in the dirt. He was not one of those guys who would show up only as the last guy the return man had to beat.

:icon_toast:

25. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243

That block (that travelled past the LOS - thanks for touching it, Squaw boy) vs. KC also didn't help his gross average, but since it created another possession for us, it was very effective (if unplanned). :yes:

26. TheLash

Ratings:
    +715
    He was one one mine too! I lovedwatching him lay one of thosde flying rugby tackles on someone.
    Bennet's son has MS and is confined to a wheelchair. As someone who knows whats involved is raising a disabled kid I'm glad the kid has a class act like him for a dad.