1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Scott Kaplan: AJ had relationship with Rivers

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,452
    For once, I actually agree with Kaplan........ :eek:

Kaplan: A.J. Smith's biggest problem was people skills

This week, the big argument of the A.J. Smith Chargers era -- Philip Rivers versus Drew Brees -- played itself out on the local radio airwaves.

On Wednesday, The Darren Smith Show interviewed Chargers QB Rivers about his relationship with Smith, here’s what he said:

I’m not saying this in a disrespectful way, I don’t know that you would call it a relationship, other than I wanted to play like crazy for him (AJ) and Norv and the organization, and the fans. Other than that it was a working relationship, with few words spoken between us over nine years, really. He had his way of running the team and I was trying to do my job of being the quarterback. It wasn’t a case of there being a lot of conversation or communication between the two of us.

On Thursday, Brees was interviewed on The Scott and BR Show, and when he was asked about his relationship with the Saints front office, here’s what he said:

I would say I absolutely have the relationship with the GM and head coach and guys in the front office to go in and talk to them about those things, (personnel decisions). I also know my place. I would never go in and say we have to draft this guy or we have to trade for this guy, my opinion is asked a lot, and I lend it when they ask about things. Because in the end we all want the same thing, we all want to win a championship. For example, I trained with Darren Sproles during the lockout, I was calling coach Peyton all the time saying we gotta get this guy.

Here’s the point:

What ultimately doomed Smith, besides the obvious fact of giving away star players who ultimately came back to haunt him, was the fact that the man had no people skills.

Forget about how he treated the media, it was how he treated the players, or in the case of Rivers, the lack of professional respectful relationship.

Star quarterbacks must represent the locker room, and sometimes that is uncomfortable. Rivers should have been there to defend the team, on the verge of a Super Bowl run, when Smith single-handedly crushed the team with the Jackson/McNeill holdout, but Rivers clearly didn’t feel like his opinion was welcome.

It’s time for Rivers to take over this franchise before his time runs out.

Scott Kaplan is co-host of U-T TV's Scott and Amber Show. Weekdays, he also has an afternoon radio show on Mighty 1090 AM with former Chargers linebacker Billy Ray Smith.

2. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,452
    That should read "AJ had NO relationship with Rivers"...... can't edit the stupid thread title. :mad:

3. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    That same day, on Darren's show, Marty Caswell said she had talked to McNeil about his relationship with AJ and he had nothing bad to say. Funny how Scott left that part out.

In the grand scheme of things, no one would give a rats *** if AJ was a people person or not if hadn't wasted draft picks on guys like English, Buster Davis, and Ryan Mathews (For the cost of trading up to get him), and had replaced the talent he let walk with good players. People would still be yelling "In AJ we trust". But his drafts sucked, and he was fired because of it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,452
    Doesn't change the fact that a GM who doesn't talk to people is not a smart way to run a football organization.

AJ didn't talk to Marty at all....... how ****** up it that? That's not the way a front office should operate, it doesn't matter how many picks the GM hits on. Dysfunctional is still dysfunctional.

5. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Not saying it is right or wrong, just pointing out that he was fired for his poor draft picks, not because of the way he treated people

6. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I believe that Blue's contention is that his interpersonal relationships had a direct, negative impact on his poor team management.

7. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    According to players who have signed, Rivers, Gates, McNeil, and others, they didn't have a negative personal relationship with him.

8. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I didn't say that they had the bold. Rivers has said that he had no relationship with Smith, which is what I was actually talking about.

9. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,452
    I see the two as being related.

When you don't get input or advice from others, you're more apt to make bad choices.

AJ thought he was smarter than everyone else....... he wasn't. How else do you explain a pick like Larry English, or trading up for Hester? Nobody else thought these guys were worthy of being taken where they were.

10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,632
    How many GMs have relationships with players? That kinda puts you too close to players you might have to cut/trade/play hardball with? Besides AJs horrible attitude and bedside manner apparently didn't stop players from either pouring into SD OR from re-signing, see Gates & McNeil as example

11. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Who says he didn't get input and advice from others? All we know is he didn't get input from Rivers, and we don't know if that was because AJ told him he didn't want it, or if it was because Rivers didn't give it.

No matter, if he had drafted better, he would still be here even if he was a complete a** hole

12. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,452
    We know for a fact he didn't talk to Marty, and he was the head coach. Do you think they are any other GM/HC relationships in the NFL where they aren't even on speaking terms? I'd go as far as to guess none.

Face it, AJ was anti-social and unsuited to being a GM. Picking players is only part of the job, and he had spotty results just at that part. He was a complete failure at the rest.

13. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    If AJ didnt suspend Gates in '05 and then give him a paltry 6 year, $24 million deal, the chargers wouldve made the playoffs. Celek got a 88 mill contract a year or two later, with way less deserving play/stats.

14. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    And that is why Marty was fired and AJ got to hire a guy he wanted. His relationship with Marty has nothing to do with his ability to get free agents or his ability to draft good players.

I never said AJ wasn't an anti-social a-hole, what I said is that is totally irrelevant if he could actually draft players worth a sh*t. His inability to draft good players is why he is unemployed right now, not because he was an a-hole

15. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,452
    No, he was fired because of his inability to draft players and the fact he's an anti-social a-hole. ;)

16. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Agree to disagree I guess

17. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,452
    Don't we usually? ;)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    The fact is that if the Chargers had continued winning, no one would
    have any patience for all the masturbatory nit-picking:
    AJ's demeanor, his phrases...his goddamn SHIRTS for crissakes!!!

(p.s.: Interesting that in the only example Brees offers, he's talking to the coach)

19. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
  20. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,626
    Consider the source, that's all I'll say. Kaplan is a f'n tool. Scott and BR are still swinging from Brees' nuts and they never forgave AJ for letting Brees go.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,452
    That all is true, but what he said about AJ is true as well....... odd as that may sound. ;)