1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Scouts Inc. Chargers LB corp #1

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by MasterOfPuppets, Jul 17, 2007.

1. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    espn.com

even without the ankle bitter :abq2:

2. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    I am going to miss my boy. Who are you guys going to hate on now?

Looks like DFlo has the inside track but Hart with a few well placed clanks could emerge as the go to guy.

Where is Leander Jordan when you need him?

Really surprised we took the number one spot there with 2 newbie starters in the lineup.

3. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    Whilhelm will be no worse than Edwards

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    We've been in the top 10 in every category except WR
    We've been #1 in RB, TE, OL and now LB
    I think that's better then any other team.

5. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    You hit on the central contradiction here. Either this guy knows nothing about Cooper and his battery mate and is idly speculating or he is playing CYA. AJ didn't sign both Cooper and Wilhelm to long term deals out of charity. His judgements about talent have been extremely shrewd. I'll bet you a Die Kircke that there will be no drop off at all in the overall performance of the unit.

:abq2: :abq2: :abq2: :abq2: :abq2:

Can't wait for training camp to begin so we can find out for real.

6. Steve

Steve BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +19
    They really shouldn't rank Phillips and Merriman with the LB. Both are great players, but are more DE then they are LB. Rather then calling it a 34 defense, we should really go back to calling it the 52 defense, with the 34 OLB being the 52 DE, the 34 DE being the 52 DT, the 34 NT and 52 NG being the same things. THe assignments are the same, it is just what you call it.

I have a hard time ranking us the best LB We know how good Wilhelm and Cooper are, but it is obvious that others don't. If they don't know they shouldn't rank tehn very high. Also, Phillips and Merriman are not anything more then a little above average unless they are playing forward, rushing the passer or defending the run. Since LB have to spend most of their time dropping into coverage, we should really rank the ILB and all 3 LB from the 43 together. Rank the 34 OLB with the 43 DE. Rank all the 34 DL as DT since that what they are.

Just for the record, I really think they will be fine. People are making way too much that Cooper and Wihelm are not Donnie and Godfrey (who is usually left out of the debate completley). They are good LB who have played well in their spots. Both have speed and atheletic ability. Both are good at reading an offense. they will be fine, and in any case I expect to be seeing more and more of our nickel and dime packages earlier and earlier as we should be spending more time protecting leads and making offenses 1 dimensional.