1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Scouts Inc. revises view on Mouton

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,411
    Scouts Inc. likes Jonas Mouton in rewind
    June, 6, 2011
    By Bill Williamson

The college scouting team at Scouts Inc. learned a valuable lesson when the San Diego Chargers took Michigan linebacker Jonas Mouton in the second round of the April draft.

The Chargers took Mouton with the No. 61 overall pick. Steve Muench of Scouts Inc. said the group had Mouton ranked as a high third-day prospect. Overall, Scouts Inc. saw 81 of their top 100 players ranked taken in the top 100 picks in the draft. Muench said the Mouton selection was one of the misses that most bothered the group.

Shortly after the draft, the group studied Mouton more and understood why the Chargers took him.

“We missed on him,” Muench said. “I don’t know I would have taken him that high, but it wouldn’t be fair to say it was a big reach.”

Muench, who said other NFL teams coveted Mouton in addition to San Diego, said there was a couple of reasons why Scouts Inc. under-ranked Mouton. They initially looked at Mouton, 6-foot-1, 237 pounds, as an outside linebacker, which several teams did as well. But Mouton will likely play inside linebacker for the Chargers’ 3-4 defense. Also, Muench said Mouton doesn’t have elite athletic ability and he may have been downgraded because Michigan’s defense was so poor.

“But look at him again, I think he is a guy who can be a contributor,” Muench said. “He has good instincts and he’s a good tackler … We can see what the Chargers liked in him.”

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Still think he shouldn't have been drafted so high

3. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,411
    In the end, what's more important...... where you took a guy, or whether he can contribute?

4. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Whether they contribute, but just as we see with Hester, a player will ALWAYS be judged based on their contribution relative where they were drafted.

5. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,411
    Except in Hester's case, we traded up to get him. That means you gave away a potential player as well as taking a guy higher than anticipated. That ups the ante considerably.

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    and how do we grade him and weddle who cost a small fortune in picks? Still he'll be graded as well based on where he was selected; if he turns only into a special team player and other ILBs after him become starters/impact players AJ got explaining to do

7. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,411
    Of course....... If Mouton only becomes a special teams player, then it will be a questionable pick. It will be a truly bad pick if he doesn't pan out at all.

Weddle has been consistent starter for us, so despite the "reach", he wasn't a bust. Guys like Davis and English are a bigger concern.

8. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    I hope to F Jonas proves us all wrong. I still think of my reaction when the pick was announced. I simultaneously fell off the chair and spewed my rice krispies all over the floor. Only what he does on the field will change my mind on this pick end of.

9. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    I

[​IMG]

mouton.

10. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,411
    New Zealand mourns Shrek the sheep

[​IMG]

Shrek the New Zealand sheep, whose ability to avoid the shearers made him a national celebrity, has died.

Shrek came to prominence in 2004 after evading capture for six years by hiding in caves on the South Island.

The cunning Merino lost his giant 27kg (60lb) fleece in a televised shearing.

The 16-year-old sheep had a high-profile career. He met then Prime Minister Helen Clark, became the subject of several children's books and made regular charity appearances.

Shrek's owner, John Perriam, of Bendigo Hill station, said the famous sheep had to be put down over the weekend because of age-related illnesses.

"He was just an ordinary sheep, went awol and hid, and when he was found he became the darling of the nation," Mr Perriam told local broadcaster TVNZ.

"He had an unbelievable personality. He loved children and he was really good with the elderly in retirement homes."

Shrek's giant fleece - enough to make 20 large men's suits - was auctioned off in 2004 for children's medical charities.

Josie Spillane of Cure Kids said over the years Shrek had raised more than $150,000 (£75,000) for the charity, which funded research into life-threatening illnesses.

"At the end of the day, it is the death of an iconic Kiwi. He just happens to be a sheep," she told the Southland Times.

Local reports said a memorial service would be held for Shrek at the Church of the Good Shepherd in Tekapo, and that his owner planned to place a bronze statue of the sheep in the local town.

Mr Perriam said that Shrek's legacy would continue.

11. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542

The really sad thing is....I read this whole article about this Kiwi sheep and it was more interesting
    than anything that's happening in the NFL right now...:D

• Like Like x 1
  12. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Considering that nothing has happened since the end of the draft, that's not saying much