1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Scratch the Vikes off the list for teams moving

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by DenverBolt67, Feb 17, 2012.

1. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
  2. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Los Angeles is just the threat that gets stuff done. I still think it will be the Jags and the Rams. Jags will move and change the name and unis, Rams will return to being the Los Angeles Rams.

3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Thats how you get things movin, you have the roof of your stadium collapse.

Too bad we don't have a roof.

4. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I hope so. I still have zero faith in the voting public of SD.

5. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I think that what Spanos realizes is that San Diego is the 9th largest City in the US, and that he could do alot worse, which is likely something that the other owners also see. I don't imagine the Chargers being likely to be moved to LA. I think the Jaguars' lease makes them a very unlikely candidate. To me, the most likely team (other than the Rams) would be the Bills when Ralph Wilson dies. The Bills don't have the kind of "large area pull" that the Chiefs and Broncos enjoy to keep their stadium full and provide the kind of ancillery purchases which provide a lot of income for teams. Good on Minnesota for recognizing how much money they risk losing by letting their team leave.

6. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    I also believe that San Diego is his home and he doesn't want to leave. I still think that if anyone will work with him, they will stay put.

7. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    When it comes to sports, it isn't about how large the city your team is in, it is about how large the market is, and SD has a very small TV market, and one that will get even smaller when another team moves to LA and that is no longer considered a secondary market for the Chargers.

A couple examples, The Vikings TV market is the entire state along with areas in some of the surrounding states. The Broncos TV market is the state of Colorado, parts of Navada, Nebraska, Wyoming, and Navada. The Cards have the entire state of Arizona along with parts of New Mexico. The Seahawks have the state of Washington and Oregon, and most of Idaho. That is how many of these states can get stadiums done, the state gets involved because it is considered a state wide team, not just one that represents a single metro area

8. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Right, and that impacts the cost of the stadium, but not necesarily the value of the market. Minnesota has a total population of 5.5 million people, while San Diego County has a population of 3.1 million, and Louisiana has 4.5 million. San Diego is certainly not a "big market" by T.V. standards, but that doesn't impact their individual revenue dollars, which are evenly shared by all NFL teams. What impacts NFL teams from one team to the next differently is the buying potential of the fans, and the asses in the seats. The biggest difference between San Diego and most other teams in the NFL is the Stadium, period.

9. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    The Chargers missed an opportunity in 1995 to change the team name to the Southern California Chargers.

As for San Diego's market size, there is no tradition here of everyone being trapped indoors by the weather, watching the game inside. Yes, our weather makes for the NFL's best tailgating, but it doesn't do much for TV viewership.

If it was my decision, the Chargers would get a new stadium in San Diego, the Rams would move back to LA, and the Raiders would get a new stadium in Oakland. With the 49ers moving to San Jose, each of California's 4 largest markets would get it's own team in a new stadium.