1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

SD’s running back needs Gross-ly overstated

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Thumper, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    By Michael Lombardo
    SDBoltReport.com

The Bolts will lose the best backup running back in the NFL this offseason when Michael Turner sells his 5.5 ypc to the highest bidder. But don’t expect A.J. Smith to scurry in search of a replacement. Tyronne Gross is more than ready to split time with Darren Sproles as LaDainian Tomlinson's backup.

The Chargers signed Tyronne Gross as an undrafted free agent on May 10, 2006. The fact that he is still around nearly two years later is a testament to his talents. Although he has yet to see action in a regular season game, Gross has been impressive in preseason play, carrying 22 times for 102 yards (4.64 ypc).

Gross has always impressed when given the opportunity. As a senior at Eastern Oregon, he set the school single-season record with 1,223 rushing yards (135.9 yards per game) and chipped in 12 touchdowns. He was named the Frontier Conference Player of Week after 161-yard, three-touchdown game against Whitworth College.

Gross (5’9”, 213 pounds) is the brand of powerful, north-and-south runner the Chargers need to replace Michael Turner. Gross runs with terrific body lean and insatiable determination, making him an ideal candidate for short-yardage and goal-line situations. He also has the durability to be an every-down back if LaDainian Tomlinson is injured again.

The Chargers feel comfortable working Gross into the rotation because Tomlinson will be rested by committee next season. Gross will have the opportunity to earn some carries, but so will Darren Sproles and Andrew Pinnock.

Sproles actually carried the ball more than Turner over the final six games of the regular season, 35-34. Pinnock will see limited carries if the Chargers release Lorenzo Neal, but Pinnock could still get some touches out of one-back sets. That was the formation he was most effective in at South Carolina.

That does not mean the Chargers will not bring in another running back this offseason. A.J. Smith places a high premium on depth and wants to ensure there is no drop-off after Turner’s departure. One Chargers scout confirmed during Senior Bowl week that running back will be a “top priority” this offseason.

However, the Chargers might find no option better than Gross. The team has already used its selections in rounds two through four, so if San Diego doesn’t draft a running back early it may struggle to find a runner with Gross’ combination of speed, power and vision.

The Chargers made sure to hang on to Gross over the years despite having no opening at running back. He was stashed on the practice squad in 2006 and on the injured-reserve list in 2007. In 2008, the opening Gross has been waiting for will finally be there. All that’s left is for him to seize it.

• Like Like x 1
  2. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Gross was my pick to replace Turner. He's had great preseason games. Then he got hurt. Man, I was bummed. I think this guy has to be given a chance to backup LT. Dude has the skills. We still should draft a bull of a RB late in the draft. And you know A.J. has that on his radar.

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    If we are going to backup by committee and it includes one Andrew Pinnock too then yeah we don't necessarily need to spend a big draft pick on a backup RB

4. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    Just my opinion is that we do not need to Draft at all a RB this coming Draft because we have gross, Pinnock, Sproles and Race.

Pinnock can be our FB/RB, Sproles can give LT a breather and Gross and Race can compete for the third RB spot and keep the one who loses out I hope on the Practice squad for another year.

So we have 5 RB's right now. We might add some more after the Draft but we will have to see what goes on right after the Draft.

• Like Like x 1
  5. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    With how deep this years RB draft class, i still think we should draft an RB in the 5th-6th round. There are plenty of guys who will fall simply because not alot of teams need RBs this year and we will likely get a 3rd round talent in the 5th-6th round

Matt Forte, Kevin Smith, Mike Hart, Steve Slaton, Justin Forsett, Chauncey Washington, Xavier Omon all call likely be had in the 4-6th rounds

6. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I'm guessing. But this year the chargers go more to the passing game. And use the running back as an alternative rather than the other way around that they've used the last 7 years with ladanian.

Best thing the chargers can do then is improve the defense or improve the o-line as #1 priority. Or both. Which would be nice.

These next 3 years will be the chargers years to win it all. Time to put the pedal to the metal.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Draft linemen.

Do that and LT could run for mega TD's with only one good leg

....we do not need high priced running backs if we have linemen who can blast open holes or move their lard asses on sweeps and pulling plays.....BEEF........ Draft BEEF.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    You betcha. FAT BOYS and more FAT BOYS. Maybe a DB if one drops farther than he should have.

9. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Count me onboard for more FAT BOYS! It all starts on the line and the line could always use more BEEF!

10. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    Trumpy you have this 100% right. :icon_toast: :tup: :yes:

Preach it prophet preach it.

I want a Draft of BEEF please. Beef that is for Drafting.

11. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    back to the topic... i think Gross can be the guy, i liked what i have seen out of him and he is right, there must be a reason u hold onto him by putting him on IR rather then just cutting him with the others that got cut that same day

12. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Gross is pretty good. But there still is the worry of his health and is he really that good. YOU don't know till you play in a real game.

Next year we should be stacked with draft picks up to our armpits. And very probably will have to trade up we'll have so many picks and so few postions that can make the team. Good year to land a very good rb and jamall replacement. This year just land a super stud to solidfy the team. Either a d-back or d-lineman or o-lineman. I'm guessing best player that is slipped to our spot. Damn cousin cromartie and his prowness at the senior bowl. He would have been a steal.

• Like Like x 1
  13. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    He has yet to see action in a regular season game. Was injured during pre-season and put on IR, yet he has the durability to be an every-down back?
    That doesn't make any sense to me. How can that be?

When the guy starts producing during the regular season, then I'll jump on the band wagon. As of now, all I can say is "we'll see.":icon_eek:

14. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Fat is where it's at!! I'd prefer seeing a big OL before DL, but either could make me happy.

RB? Maybe much later. Another DB? Sort of a weak class in the safety area, but depth would be a good thing there.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    We need to start looking at FA's for a potential long snapper pretty soon, I think. Binn is getting older, but then, he doesn't have to do a whole lot. On second thought, a long snapper might last longer than Blanda.

16. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...I like your thinking here. I'd love to see either an o-lineman or a d-lineman. The way late round and undrafted gems keep popping up (Ryan Grant) there's no need for haste. There's also going to be free agent casualties strewn all over the place.

17. RMANCIL

RMANCIL Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223
    At last someone makes real since!! Chargerlipz how you doing??? Hope all is well .

18. chargerlipz

Ratings:
    +151
    I'm good. Thank you for asking.
    I'm glad to see that some body else sees it the way I do.

19. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I do as well.

what gets me is the chargers wouldn't trade turner last year cause they were parinoid that all we'd have as backups were gross and sproles as backup rb's. And guess what. Thats all we have as backups now. Something has to happen here with this situation.

20. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    If we had fat, I mean fat asses who demolished people on the right side of the line (our left side is marginal because of our center), then we would not give a rats *** about Gross or Turner or even LT.

We would be saying, "put any dumb fuc at RB and the biitch will prevail" :yes:

21. rhlopez3

rhlopez3 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    I was very dissappointed in L.T this year going back to his crying on the sidelines to not sitting next to his Q.B. His ability to atleast play the role of a decoy was a missed opportunity that could have been a difference in the AFC Championship.

The Chargers should trade L.T in order to free up capital and pickup another workhorse like Turner. We would have Turner, Sproles and a new talent and with the available capital we could improve other needed areas.

Sorry L.T but you did not come through when we needed you most!!!

22. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Welcome. :icon_toast:

Tits first post. :tup:

Now duck :lol:

23. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Oh man...... :icon_rofl:

:bolt:

24. chargerlipz

Ratings:
    +151
    AJ said Tyronne Gross is not being tendered and will be a free agent.

I guess him continuing to be a Charger was Gross-ly overstated too.

LOL:lol:

25. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    any bets how long before he is banned? LOL jk, anyway that was a bad first post, probably the worst post i have ever read actually

26. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    Took the words right from my mouth. :lol:

I guess Gross is not in the Chargers future. Again I think we are going in another direction. I do not know that direction but I am sure what that direction is that AJ is steering us in the right direction in getting us the Lombardi.

27. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    RHLopez3 Welcome!

Now that we have the pleasantries over, it would probably be best if you just come out of the closet now; shouldn’t you be joining a Raider blog? Try the Raider nation; I suspect you will fit right in. :lol:
    Just kidding!

28. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...My sentiments exactly . Maybe too much :icon_party:

29. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I'd have to guess the chargers will want to find another good running back someplace. Sproles is good. But he's injury prone.