1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

SD@KC post game Wrap-up

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ThunderHorse17, Nov 1, 2011.

1. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Im not gonna try to change anyones attitude or perception of the current SD Chargers, but I will point out some of the ups and downs I saw from my seat in the endzone from Row 4.

One of the things I was saying to my Chief fan buddy before we got to the stadium was that SD needs to have a good gameplan for dealing with the crowd noise and the reluctant False Starts to come from it. I said to him I expect the crowd to get the O at least 3 times. And so on the very first snap we draw the first FS. I didnt think we were gonna be ready for the noise again after this dismal start. What was releiving was the fact that Norv and Co DID plan for the crowd noise and had the huddle broke and the team in position with 20 seconds on the play clock. I was very pleased that the FS that we did get hit for were more reaction to motion on the field and not a ton of Deay of Game penalties. Also I didnt notice it until the 3rd quarter, but the Guard *not sure if both or jus the RG* was tapping Hardwick on the thigh as a way to tell him when to snap the ball. Turns out my friend saw this goin on all game.

Obviously there are alot of things you could do to take the worry out of running out of game clock time before gettin a play called and off. What we were doin was a assisted silent count. To me I think this is what got KC offsides so many times. They thougth they had the snap count figured out by reading the leg tap and rather we had enuff of a plan in place to keep the snap count from being COMPLETLY OBVIOUS. I was saying after the game I thougth they were using the motion man as a timer to snap the ball. At least that would have been my idea for detering the crowd noise slowing down the Offense.

So Rivers: My GUY. :/

3 turnovers to his credit on the records, BUT as you saw one INT was a tip ball. Now for the fumbled snap on 3rd and 8, which im assuming was gonna be the last attempt to score a TD then kick the game winning FG. Did anyone see the Sports Center cast this moring?? I saw it last night, but they didnt mention it then. The pyrotechnic that went off like a half a second before/after/during the snap that came out quick and IMO to the right a little of center and hit PR in the right hand. By the look of his hands he got hit in the hand, attempted to still maintain a hold even tho his right hand was holding onto the ball by back of his fingers. *looked to me like his hand was not wrapping the ball but rather wrinkled up next to it and caused it to drop like a stone. I am a big fan of Hardwick, but this one goes to him IMO. Either that or *conspiracy Theory* the pyrotechnician screwed the pooch and cost us a W.
    OH I almost forgot the GREAT:
    I saw 2 times Rivers make something out of a broken play after the pocket broke down and he had to scramble to the right. Also I love Rivers cuz what I saw last night was the Rivers that could turn the page and get to the next play to score. Although as you all saw after taht fumble it got to be enuff Rivers declared it the worst day ever. It aint Phil you threw for over 300 yards and kept us in the game.

Nick Novak. How cool would it have been if he didnt miss that one kick? 4th quarter 23-20 with the ball back and 4 minutes to drive. We get down there again to the same distance to goal, I guaruntee we would have seen the 3rd down FG try. We would have essentialy at that point gone up 6 and gave the ball back to KC with no timeouts and 18-25 seconds to work with. The win would have stayed in the bag. OF course had we jus kicked the FG on third there, we still would have gave them only 18-25 seconds to drive into FG range.

Watching the stats progress on the scoreboard last night, I couldnt help but notice we NEVER trailed in any category to KC. Passing, Rushing, TOP. I had to check, but Battles 30 yarder wasnt even enuff to over take us on total Rushing yards.

Ok and for the BIGGEST reason this game was something to Bitch about: The Officiating and the lack there of. Non called facemasks (on us)

Also wtf did anyone see the Hester McGraw pileup on a punt? They were all kinds of fighting IMO Hester the aggressor should have gotten the boot. BUT I dont see alot of ejected players this year even after they swing punches on oponents when a play is dead. (Woodson)

That wasnt the only scuffle either. But in all the fighting really made both teams look like they were the Oakland Raiders. OYea that gates call was weak it wasnt even a push off he just contacted the defender with one hand like your allowed to do wout drawing a flag.

ALSO im sure only the fans in the stands saw this, but at near the end of the game 4th or 5th quarter not sure. There was a score and ruling and a commercial then the offical comes out on the field and says something like there is no need for a review.... play ball. WTF me the KC fans and both teams are waitin on U REF!!! DOUCH MONKEYS@!!

I think the refs had it in for the fans since so many were dressed up as officals. I saw a couple dead refs, a clown and a blind ref. GREAT STUFF!! :] BUT the refs aparently didnt think it was funny.

SO here the stats after the game which reads like we won....

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=311031012
    SD_KC
    1st Downs
    22- 19
    Passing 1st downs​
    17 -12

Rushing 1st downs​
    5- 6

1st downs from Penalties​
    0- 1

3rd down efficiency​
    5-14 7-14

4th down efficiency​
    0-0 0-0
    Total Plays
    71 -67
    Total Yards
    447 -341
    Passing
    345 -247

Comp-Att​
    26-41 19-32​

Yards per pass​
    8.4 7.7​
    Rushing
    102_ 94

Rushing Attempts​
    27 _32

Yards per rush​
    3.8 _2.9
    Red Zone (Made-Att)
    1-4_ 1-3
    Penalties
    12-105_ 9-53 <should have been more too ;/
    Turnovers
    4 _4

Fumbles lost​
    2_ 2​

Interceptions thrown​
    2_ 2

Possession
    37:29_32:15

• Like Like x 2
  2. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Again Im not trying to change anyones minds. I just would like to see the hate of this game directed where it belongs.

OYEA and someone said in another thread about how BAD of a DR Chow is. I cant agree more and I have been wishing he would be let go twice as long as I have wanted Norv to move on. I can however continue to follow this team with confidence they can beat anyone anytime with what we have.

Rivers wasnt sacked until the 4th quarter I beleive. AND I thougth it looked like in the OT quarter that we did start to dial down the pressure on the pocket. Could have been just fatigued players from playing a harder than it should have been game.

WTF with RM also every run he was makin super cuts and fallin flat. Also I didnt like seeing him running away/around the corner defender right out of bounds. He was one of the many who played tho banged up. McNeal didnt do too bad for being not even close to 100% He was holding Hali a few times that wasnt called thankfully. Hali of course ended up with 2 Sacks.

3. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    Good report TH, some of my homies from SD also made it to the game, didn't see many Bolts fans in that sea of red. Glad that you were there to represent. On the subject of the fumble, one of the camera angles showed that Rivers left hand was turned to the outside as the ball was being snapped, and as the ball was pressed against that hand Rivers didn't or couldn't turn his hand to hold onto the ball. I don't know if Rivers took the blame for that, but I am sure that the press will probably agree with what we all saw on TV last night.

4. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    I think rivers took it on his chest in the presser. Sayin he hadnt done that in a long time and it should never happen. But yea INTS and snap handoffs always seem cemented to the QB.

5. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    AT first I didnt think I was gonna see as many SD fans as were here for last years Opener. BUT as the game drew close the Blue started showing up like 1 in 20. It was funny I swear every group of KC fans has ONE guy/girl that is the Charger fan.

ALSO the coolest thing that happend in that game Fanwise, I saw this guy in a Tolbert jersey up on the rail wehn the players came out he was tryin like hell to get them to wave or acknowledge they heard him yelling their names. It was kinda funny at first it was like man guy you lookin like a fool. BUT after most the warmups were done Volek turned around and tossed him the ball. That was awesome. Next time you better beleive im gonna be the most obvious fan down there to root all my guys.

And I apologize to you Tolbert fan now for having any doubt in you. You knew what you were doin!! Someday im gonna get me a Football... hell would be cool just to have to play with lol. All I need is a team.... oyea and that football!!!

6. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Oyea a good thing to hate about this team and this game would be the continued Rez Zone woes. Driving 60 yards only to settle for a FG isnt good.

7. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Ok I just rewatched the Hardwick handoff fumble, and I can say for sure that the pyrotech that went off shouldnt have affected the snap. I thought it went off right at the snap, well it was like one second exactly before the snap. Watch the highlight of it and turn up your volume and listen right before the snap you can actualy hear the boom over the crowd.

And your right it was his left hand that was folded in. And I still think the angle sucks for determinging this, but I think hardwick snapped it a little to the left of center.

One last thing I just thought of from last night. When Brinkley dove over the top and got the TD, every fan around me in the opposite enzone was crying that it WAS a fumble and should not have even been ruled a TD. Blind homerism at its peak here. Considering how Battle did the exact same thing to score 5 minutes ago and had he gotten the ball knocked out they would have been all over the rules about that broke the plane its a TD!!!

And at the time I dindt think the replay prooved that Brinkley broke the plane on the 2pt convo. BUT in the hotel on ESPN it was clearly a great call by the official. Even tho imo that 2 pts was moot if we let KC score. I was confident we could have gotten the ball back held them to a FG at the least and drove down and scored the game winning TD with prob the 4 minutes left goin to KC to try for the wining FG in regulation.

I dont think I want to go next year. So far been to 4 games at Ahead in the last 2 seasons. One was Pseason Govoners Cup vs STL. Which if you check it out STL has one of the BEST pseason win records. The 3 Reg season games I have attended so far KC has been undefeated. Granted the second ever game for me there was Buffalo last year in like week 6. It was a stinker of a game with NO scoring only FGs and a pitiful coaching effort from Haley to keep BUF around for a OT quarter, which went down to the last 4 minutes with both teams stopping each other short of FG distance. Finaly KC kicks a game winner and we can get out of there. It was the worst snoozefest game I ever HAD to watch. I was ready to go at the end of the 3rd quarter.

So should I steer clear of SD@KC next year?? The fans I kno already callin me their Lucky Charm. DAMMIT!

I wanna walk out of there a Winner and then have to deal with the you suck jeering that could be all they could muster. It sure would beat the hell out of not having to hear everyone doin the chop and whoain like indians.

8. 65TossPowerTrap

65TossPowerTrap BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +37
    Great analysis. The only thing I can disagree on is the officiating. I am not going to say it was spotless, but they surprisingly made a lot of TOUGH calls right (the chargers TD and 2 point conversion for example).

I can't let the facemask comment go by without mentioning the facemask on Battle on 3rd and 2 that was the sole reason he went down as his head was snapped around so violently he looked like Linda freaking Blair (Halloween appropriate), and the reason we had to give the ball back to the chargers for their TD drive. That was atrocious and the fans almost rioted. That and the fact that Tamba Hali is held on pretty much every play, but almost never draws the call because he keeps fighting until the whistle, but that is the same in pretty much every game.

The Offensive Pass Interference didn't look like much content at first glance, but there was a push off and the defender grabbed Gate's arm to prevent himself from falling backwards which made it look like both grabbed. I probably would have let them play, but by the letter of the law, it was a proper call - though I admit, had it been against us, I probably would have railed about it for a while before I accepted it.

I saw that Hester/McGraw scuffle on the punt. It was funny because they were the only two guys fighting and the rest of the players were all 60 yards down field...as were the refs.

And the official after that TV timeout said, "There is no need for a review, so we will play football."

Everyone around me sarcastically yelled, "OOOOH we're going to play FOOTball now?" Likely inspired somewhat by the seemingly endless game stoppages for reviews and TV timeouts.

Overall, it was a fun, though stressful game. I know it didn't turn out as you would have liked, and I feel for you losing that way...as we have lost so many games on ridiculous things like that...but I hope you at least had some fun at Arrowhead and that the Halloween Crowd gave you hell in an appropriate way lol

9. 65TossPowerTrap

Ratings:
    +37
    I totally saw that dude!

10. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Oh u were in the FG scorin enzone then? or on the side.

11. 65TossPowerTrap

Ratings:
    +37
    I was on the side, but we saw a guy in a Tolbert jersey hangin over the rail screaming and commented that we thought Tolbert was out for the game lol.

I mentioned that I would buy a beer for the first charger fan I found in a Marion Butts jersey...when that proved fruitless, I said I'd settle for a Natrone Means sighting. No joy :(

But just when I thought my search for nostalgia would prove fruitless, I ran into the REAL Christian Okoye! Well I didn't run into him, cause then I'd die, but I met the Nigerian Nightmare

12. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    And as the notorious ESPN cameras were bound to do it, there was a major Marty sighting too... In the colors of his choosing.

13. 65TossPowerTrap

Ratings:
    +37
    Marty was there as part of the halftime Chiefs alumni reunion honoring Kevin Ross being added to the Ring of Honor. I still can't believe Rock is a Raiders coach lol

14. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Dante Hall is the MAN. And I was surprised to see Preist again!! MAN where has that guy been he is a beast too.

What was funniest was the guy standing next to Marty didnt get his name called.... Or the camera scanned right past him when they were callin Martys out. Was a kinda wtf moment.

15. 65TossPowerTrap

Ratings:
    +37
    I love when they got to him and all you heard was an echoing PRIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEST! Man, back in the day he and LT were TD scoring machines unlike anything you see now