1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

SD vs OAK: Ball was out. No TD

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Kwak, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    Around the Horn showed a nice replay shot of the ball.
    Here is all the proof you need:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    SD vs OAK: Ball was out. No TD (pic)

I see no image...

Regardless... I dont' think the question as to whether the ball came out or not... It was obvious the ball was moving and came out touching the ground...

The question was... When is a ball in the end zone considereded a Catch?

Q---Devil's advocate--- He appeared to have possession, and got both feet down...

Problem--- he was falling to the ground when he got both feet down. The reciver must now, MAINTAIN possession through the entire sequence... he did not...

The argument from the D list announcers was that once his feet were down and he had possession, play over, TD...

This is not true when your going down to the ground. You must maintain possession...

The ground cannot cause a FUMBLE, but it CAN cause an incompletion...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207

UNCLE!!!!!!:tup:

4. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689

Fixed. The pic was in a friends alblum in my CP. Now its public.

I noticed, you have no friends...

5. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    SD vs OAK: Ball was out. No TD (pic fixed)

the whole possession thing is a joke. a ball carrier only has to cross the plane, never ever having sniffed the end zone except for the ball. But yet a receiver has to have possession, both feet down, a signed release, and college transcript before he gets a TD.

Last night's refs sucked. In both games!

6. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689

No, the rule is right.

If the Receiver goes to the ground he must maintain possession through the entire process of going to the ground. He lost control of the ball.

If a WR is running at the 40, catches the ball, stumbles twice, hits the ground and the ball comes out, is it a fumble or an incomplete pass?

The rule has nothing to do with the endzone. It is all about (A)completing the catch. Period. AFTER the catch is completed then you go to the (B)crossing into the endzone.

He didn't get A done so B is mute.

7. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,584

I saw a similar play last year when Minny played Indy. TD nullified because the TE didn't maintain control while going down. Close.

I'll agree though...the main ref looked like howdy doody and I heard it was his first game.

8. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

I get it. but I don't like it.

9. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

Didn't Chambers have that same kind of catch last year? He came down with the catch, hit the ground, ball came out but the refs said he had possession. At what point is it possession or not??

• Like Like x 1
  10. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,584

I think that's where a "football move" has to be made.

11. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350

This rule below was posted on the Raider forum. It supports that the call was correct. The ball hit the ground, had he wrapped it up, it would have been a catch. The ground can't cause a fumble, but it can cause an incompletion.

Page 6. Rule 3. Section 2. Article 7. Note 1

A player who goes to the ground in the process of attempting to secure possession of a loose ball (with or without contact by a defender) must maintain control of the ball after he touches the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone.

"If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, there is no possession. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, it is a catch, interception or recovery."

• Like Like x 1
  12. Helljumper

Helljumper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +54

I still disagree with the call but I can now get some sense as to what the refs were thinking. If he had caught the pass outside the endzone, took a couple of steps into the endzone, and than got hit and lost the ball, it would've still been a TD because he already established that it was a completed pass.

That wasn't the case. Think of it like what happened to Higgins on that 3rd down before Russell's TD in the fourth quarter. He caught the ball, got 2 feet down on the ground, but then almost simultaneously got hit by Weddle, causing him to lose control of the ball. Ruling: Incomplete pass, nobody complains.

So with a throw into the endzone, the receiver still has to establish possession of the ball. He was hit as he got both feet on the endzone causing him to lose control of the ball just like the play mentioned above. How can you award a player a TD for a "catch" that would've been called an incomplete pass outside of the endzone?

However, I still disagree with it overall. If they had ruled it incomplete live, I could see it holding up after the review. But since it was the other way around, I can see the reasoning but I don't think there was enough visual evidence to overturn (in other words, it's disputable whether or not he lost control of the ball as he went down).

13. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022

Thanks for the pic, and the explanations guys. I now can better understand this call.

Oh and the announcers for the Bolts game were about the worst I've heard:tdown:

HEY DID YOU SEE MY BOY PUT THE WOOD ON HIGGINS?!!!!!!

14. LFEpooh124

LFEpooh124 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +38

You mean this hit?

Oh yeah.

Check the video, it comes accompanied with some awesome music.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689

The ball came out. The picture is clear. The ball is rolling free.

You can disagree with the rule, but the call was 100% correct within the rule.

16. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467

Make & Mike suck at announcing. Mike Greenburg is nothing more than a poor man's Bob Costas. Bob Costas single handedly ruined Inside the NFL. 'nuff said.

17. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Rule shmool... the dude caught the ball and got both feet down. It was a touchdown. Dude got jobbed. If it had been Gates, this forum would have melted down.

18. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689

My wife asked if they were the Radiers Announcers when she walked into the room. I'm umm no, that is ESPN crew, they are supposed to be unbiased. :lol::lol:

Greenberg is a Culter ball washer. I can't wait to see what Pits D does to Cultet this week.

19. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    I agree...the rule sucks. All a rusher has to do it breathe correctly near the goal line, and they give the TD.

20. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    But the RB has "Possession" of the ball.

You have to throw the endzone out of the equation. It is all about the receiver having possession. If that same play happened outside the endzone, how would you call it?

21. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Completed pass... happens all the time.

22. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    I remember the same thing happening with VJ in either the Jets or Patriots playoff game. Catch, two feet in, possession, and then when he hit the ground outside of the endzone the ball popped out and it was no TD.

The rule is dumb, but the play was called correctly.

23. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022

Thanks... Your boy had a timely interception too. :tup:

24. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    No, it would be called incomplete. He dropped the ball when he hit the ground. It has been called that way since the New rule went in to effect.