1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

SDUT: Ailing defensive starters' status tenuous

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by in_a_days, Nov 9, 2006.

1. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20061109-9999-1s9chnotes.html

I was very hopeful that Phillips would be back for this week, and it says he will, but he's still hurt.

Link @ the top.

• Like Like x 1
  2. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

This is a good sign.

:icon_toast:

This however, HAS GOT TO BE FIXED!!!

:icon_evil: :icon_evil:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    FIRE STEVE CROSBY !!!!

4. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

:tup: :tup: :tup:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I would sit Castillo because we will need him healthy against Denver.

Cinci is imploding and will get run on by T-N-T.

No need to push dancing bear .....

6. RayDahayder

RayDahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    "Dancing Bear" is a great name for Castillo.... :lol:

I'd sit him, also, and get him ready for the donks.

as far as ST on punt returns.... that was scifres claim to fame.... the lack of punt returns. I think that maybe we need to have him try to bring back the kicking out of bounds on punts. At least use the sidelines to hem the runner in. When did they go away from that old "coffin corner" kick? I thought that was a very effective way to limit returns.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Crosby must have pics of Marty naked with a midget hooker or something because there's no way that guy should still have a job.

• Like Like x 1
  8. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I was thinking about the whole punt return coverage issue and something occured to me...

I don't know what our average starting field position is game by game, but it seems to me that in the last couple weeks we've had several more 3 and outs and consistantly poor field position. Is it possible that our average punt return against has spiked in the last couple weeks because instead of puntin' mostly from the 40-50 yard line area we've had to punt more from our own 15-30 yard lines? I mean I imagine it's got to be a hell of a lot easier to cover a 40-45 yard punt than to cover the 66 yarder Scifres belted off on Sunday. This doesn't excuse the coverage guys, but it lets Scifres off the hook a little bit. And what's our average punt return against if you subtract the 81 yarder from last week?

9. When Lightning Strikes

When Lightning Strikes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +68
    it was freakin amazing, but now its fairly decent...we were looking at 59 punt return yards off of #5 with an average return at 2.1 yrds per carry, but after the 81 yrd return we are now looking at 140 total return yards and a 12.7 average. it used to be a 2.1 yrd avg, that 81 yarder really hurt.

most teams have more yards given up than 140 yrds, but due to the lack of punts scifers has had to kick, they have better averages. take the philly punter for example, 13 more kicks than scifers...better average. they have 160 total punt return yards against them with the average being 6.1

its just that 81 yard return boosted up the average so much because of how few kicks scifers has had...but i think 59 punt return yards before that run is amazing for our special teams.