1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

SDUT: Aztecs headed to Salt Lake City to face Indiana

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by ChargerRay, Mar 13, 2006.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +744
    Let's go Aztecs!

San Diego State was shown the respect upstarts usually get in the NCAA Tournament – which is to say, little.

The Aztecs, 24-8 and winners of both the Mountain West Conference regular-season and tournament titles, was seeded 11th in the 16-team Oakland bracket from the NCAA selection committee Sunday, meaning that panel sees SDSU somewhere below the nation's top 40 teams until they prove otherwise. There are four 16-team brackets that comprise March Madness.

That's the treatment teams that aren't regular NCAA participants often get. In this case, however, the Aztecs may have gotten a break. They'll face Indiana, a team that was so embattled this season that coach Mike Davis has already announced his resignation when the season ends.

However, Indiana salvaged its season by reaching the semifinals of the Big Ten tournament, losing in the closing seconds to Ohio State. The Hoosiers are a sixth seed despite its 18-11 record. Many considered them a bubble team as far as getting into the tournament, and a No. 6 seed seems generous.

The Aztecs also get to play on familiar turf, with their NCAA opener set for Thursday at Salt Lake City on the University of Utah's home court. That could prove an advantage for SDSU, which has played several recent games at high altitude including the just-concluded MWC tournament, where they played three games in three days in mile-high Denver.

Salt Lake City's elevation is above 4,000 feet, which could prove a test for Indiana, which spends most of its season in the flatlands of Big Ten territory.

The winner of the SDSU-Indiana game would face the winner of Gonzaga-Xavier. Gonzaga, rated in the top five much of the season, got a No. 3 seed from the NCAA, presumably due to the mediocre makeup of the West Coast Conference.

The No. 1 seed in the region is Memphis State out of Conference USA. The No. 2 seed is UCLA, which opens at San Diego State's Cox Arena against 15th seed Belmont. Also in that bracket are Marquette and Alabama.

Other opening-round games at Cox Arena are Illinois vs. Air Force and Washington vs. Utah State. Those games are in the Washington, D.C., bracket.

Connecticut is the top seed in the Washingtron bracket.

The top seed overall is Duke, which is seeded No. 1 in the Atlanta bracket. The No. 2 seed is Tennessee, with North Carolina No. 3.

The fourth No. 1 is Villanova in the Minneapolis bracket. The no. 2 seed is Ohio State.

2. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Go Aztecs! :tup:

3. T10

T10 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    Congratulations to the Aztecs on an amazing season! Tom Fisher has really turned this program round and we will beat Indiana in the 1st round.

GO Aztecs!

4. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I think you're right. I think we do beat Indiana, but no matter how far we get in the tourney, this has been a great season. Go Aztecs!! :icon_mrgreen:

5. oca

oca BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    I love it....i think we have a good shot at getting the upset against Indiana. If Heath can get going from the outside the aztecs become a handful.

6. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    Wee doggies! My boys are goin to the Big Dance! :yes:

For playin the whole tournament at a high altitude, they did well. They seemed to find that "extra" energy they needed to finish teams off. Heath looked dead on his feet during that last game, especially the OT, but they dug deep and finished it. That game was great.

GO AZTECS! BEAT INDIANA!

I wonder if Mr. Banana from The Show will be there!:icon_banana:

7. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    sheeyutafrickinbrickdangnabbittarnashunsheecrapdarntootinrazzinfrazzinfrickinrickin

WHY OH WHY DID THEY HAVE TO LOSE???:icon_evil: :icon_huh: :icon_evil: :unsure: :icon_evil: :icon_shrug:

I am SOOO SAD!!!:icon_frown: :icon_sad: :icon_frown: :icon_frown:

• Like Like x 1