1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

SDUT: If only ... Chargers could have had Polamalu, Matthews

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Enormo, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    If only ... Chargers could have had Polamalu, Matthews
    By Nick Canepa

Thursday, February 3, 2011 at 7:03 p.m.

If only ... Chargers could have had Polamalu, Matthews - SignOnSanDiego.com

It’s incredibly cold here, but who’s complaining? It’s easy to navigate and get around the streets — if you’re Wayne Gretzky. Still, communications haven’t shut down. The social network isn’t frozen shut.

The ice storm hasn’t prevented my flock from informing me that the two ranking defenders in the National Football League — Pittsburgh safety Troy Polamalu and Green Bay linebacker Clay Matthews III — will be performing in Super Bowl XLV. And they both could have been Chargers (which probably means they wouldn’t be performing in Super Bowl XLV, anyway).

Polamalu, The League’s Defensive Player of the Year, was taken by the Steelers out of USC with the 16th overall pick in the 2003 draft. The Chargers had the 15th pick, but chose to trade the pick and move down. They took cornerback Sammy Davis.

We all know how that worked out. Davis was a bust, a complete whiff, General Manager A.J. Smith’s biggest strikeout, which he might tell you in one of his weaker moments.

Matthews, runner-up for defensive MVP, was the 26th pick in the 2009 draft. The Chargers, picking 16th, took another outside linebacker, Larry English. The jury’s still sequestered on English, but we know one thing — he isn’t relentless Clay Matthews III.

Of course, many, many, many other teams didn’t pick these guys, either. But that’s none of our business today.

In the case of Polamalu, who actually resides in San Diego during the offseason, I’ve heard he was the No. 1 safety on the Chargers board that year. But there apparently were weird internal reasons — none to do with character or ability — why he wasn’t selected. Smith won’t talk about it, but he did not dislike Polamalu. Just the opposite.

Matthews was another story. He was a very late bloomer at USC, a walk-on who didn’t start before his senior year, and fellow USC linebackers Brian Cushing and Rey Maualuga were considered more advanced.

The Packers gambled stepping up to take Matthews. It worked. But the Chargers are not disenchanted with English, and Smith doesn’t look back with regret.

“You have a decision to make and you make it now,” Smith says. “You’re never going to be 100 percent correct. You go by your instincts, and it’s hard to do with kids. But, if your percentage is high enough, you’re probably going to be successful.

“I think, overall, we’ve done a good job finding people who can play. What you don’t want to do is make a mistake on a guy you pick high who can’t play in the league at all. It happens, but if it does, I’m not going to keep them around. I’ll run them out of here.”

In any event, they’re both here, Matthews for the first time, and Polamalu, who already has two rings. And they are good. They are active. They are ever-present. And they have wild hairdos.

I make Polamalu the most valuable player in the NFL who doesn’t throw a football. Look it up. Pittsburgh isn’t as successful when he doesn’t play, which happened in 2009, when he was injured.

The Steelers managed to go 3-1 this year without quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. It’s much harder for them without their ubiquitous safety. They have a losing record over the past two years without him.

“He’s the epitome of a competitor who prepares mentally and physically,” Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau says. “He has the demeanor of a warrior. All of the things that they write in books about, they are embodied in Troy. He was born to play professional football and he’s one of the best I’ve ever seen.

“He’s probably the most instinctive player I’ve ever had. He has the amazing capability of studying film and being able to instantly apply that in the game situation. Troy is exceptional (at pulling the trigger). That’s why he makes so many big plays.”

Polamalu loves LeBeau. “You don’t sit there and tell Albert Einstein how to write equations.”

As for Matthews, he’s like a racehorse. You must look at the blood lines. His father, Clay and uncle, Bruce, were NFL stars, playing a combined 38 years in The League. His grandfather, Clay Sr., played with the 49ers for four years. His brother, Casey, is a senior linebacker at Oregon and a prospect.

In the case of Clay III, his motor never stops and his 17 sacks (13½ this year) are the most any player has recorded over his first two seasons.

“Clay is in the category of being in an elite group,” Packers coach Mike McCarthy says, “of being one of the best pass rusher/outside linebackers, let alone defensive players. He brings a tremendous energy, style of play, tenaciousness to our defense that is infectious. He is a class act; a very professional young man.”

And he could have been a Charger. They both could have been Chargers. Now they just like to talk about their hair.

“Troy may have won defensive Player of the Year, and that’s great,” Matthews says, “but there’s no doubt I won best hair in the game on the defensive side. I think it’s a unanimous decision.”

Polamalu wonders. When asked who has the better hair, he says: “I can say mine is more expensive. I guess the public can decide.”

Cut their hair and they still wouldn’t be Chargers. But they might be Samsons.

2. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    And I wonder how many other teams where in the same boat as us.

3. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Hell the Stillers traded away Johnny U, shyte happens.

4. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    To be fair CB was a MASSIVE need at the time, and Sammy Davis was as touted as any CB in that draft. Not to mention it was AJ's first draft as our GM only 2 or 3 weeks after John Butler died. I'm willing to give him a pass on Polamalu.

I'm not so mad about missing on Matthews either, I'm more irritated about not taking Michael Oher and plugging him in at RT.

5. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +375
    I feel bitterness coming from this. You're saying Sammy Davis isn't better then Polamalu? Really?

6. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    That article is the silliest thing I have read this week.

7. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I am as critical about AJ as anyone, but I think it is a little asinine and a similar case could be made with with any team about players they should have taken over the last decade

8. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    and going the other way, how many busts have there been in this same time.

9. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    A lot (AJ has drafted many of them)

10. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    Can we not play the "what if" game? GM's make picks & MANY of them are busts. AJ has had his share over the same period. So have both of this year's SB teams. The GM for the Packers was getting ROASTED (even more than AJ) over some of his picks he made in the past.

Let's not forget these are ONLY TWO PLAYERS of out of how many in that draft?

11. vmax

vmax BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    I would think 31 other cities could have an article saying if only they had spent a 7th round pick on Gates. Hind sight articles are pretty lame.

12. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    If my grandmother had wheels, she'd have been a wagon.

13. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    Stupid article. What if this...what if that...bullshit.

Need to be asking "important" what if questions, like this:
    What if a stripper got breat implants, could she write it off on her taxes as a business expense?

14. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    enquiring minds want to know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp Jesus gives wisdom if you pray for it! Banned

Ratings:
    +4
    Before u get too excited, bad coaches can ruin any player. The Steelers allow Troy to roam as a HUGE part of their scheme, consider this. It's such a valuable strategy but only works if u have a player that is amazing and fast. I played a similar style when i played. I never was restricted and led Cal state in sacks, int's and fumble recoveries in the same year B.I.O.N. This is why i switched sports in college when i had a coach who tried to tell me how to play LOL after i had never lost a football game ever. If he never said anything to me and let me run my own plays and style i would won him a state college championship. So few great coaches.

The Chargers restrict all of their players and that's why we have had the most talented team the last 5 years and have 0 sb's. Much less we just went 9-7 in the 2nd worst conference in the NFL. We have a QB who has yet to call his own plays at the start of any game. Also isn't taught how to audible counter when D lines up to max advantage as he should be being taught all these years like Manning/Brady/Bree's is. We had one of the best CB's ever let go because he suxed at playing garbage zone D. Then was traded went to NY because our fans didn't understand his skills & played man up and made pro bowl again. U cannot just find fast players like Cromartie who can cover other teams fastest player like the Jets use him for now.

16. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    imagine all that greatness and you werent drafted, I wonder why?

17. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

Ratings:
    +4
    1magine going from football to unbeaten all year in a different sport :). I could have stayed played and gotten hurt on a losing system maybe we win div and lose in the playoffs? Or do what I did and win #1 in my sport, hehe. Yea football rocks and wish i had a real coach in college football. I wasn't going to lose my sports over football knowing i was told to do 12 step drops (I would been sacked to death) and not be allowed to run for tD's when line collapsed =/. Slow play calls coming in from side line as well lol. Hook routes all the time? Are u kidding me? This why i know what sucks offense looks like. My offense was unstoppable all crossing routes and angle stuff that is tech unstoppable if u make the throws on time. I averaged 3 tds a game running. I was too smart to play in a losing system. I like my play calls no huddle offense 3/5 steps throw or roll out or run for TD when all else fails.

18. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Hey Tool bag, Going from Madden to NBA to MLB, to Tiger Wood Golf in the course of a year, is totally meaning less.

When are you going to realize no one believe you nor care about your bull **** credentials. Get back in your moms basement and back to W.O.W.

19. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    Let's see you back up these claims of being the leader in sacks, ints, and fumbles, as well as averaging 3 tds per game.

20. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072

well what did you play offense or defense? Your bullsh*t is getting deep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

21. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Ever wonder why no one pays attention to your "MEMEMEMEME" posts? Because you are full of BS. There are plenty of systems, and Palamalu is not a roamer. He hold his position and move in to support his area. You think you have all the answers because you can trumpet out a general statement and try to sell it as genius that we will all buy it.

Tell you what, if you are so great, go get a friggin job doing what you tell us all you are the greatest at. Put up or shut up.

22. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    What team did you play for, what year and what exact position, lets dig into the claims of yours because I am throwing the BS flag.

23. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,581
    [​IMG]

24. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

Ratings:
    +4
    I started on D as a player who loved to stick players. Then coaches needed me on offense as well. I led the whole league every single year i played in tackles. U know the routine. I've played QB, RB, WR offense. Kick returner and on kickoff, and PAT's both sides blocked a few and kicked a few nothing long TBH). I've played LB & safety on D.

The most interesting thing ever was one year our team was so dominate (unbeaten 4 years in a row) the league had a 1 time ever special draft. They let every team in our league pick 1 player from our team only. The worst team was allowed to pick 1st and so on...They let the worst team pick 1st which lost 2 years in a row 0- what ever it was. Guess what happened? I got drafted 1st. Then they made me play QB & LB ( I called plays both sides of the ball which was way cool and i made sure coach knew i had to be allowed to do so to win) and we went unbeaten. True story. So yea 1 player with good leadership and play can make a huge difference. I was so mad when it happened also. I had never lost a game before that and then i got drafted onto the worst team in the league =/. It still suxed tbh. I loved the team i won 3 previous championships on unbeaten. In fact we had to play them in reg season and beat them. I took out there best RB on an awesome legal hit near sidelines. Was lame hurt players who used to be my teammates =/. I didn't even like playing offense but my coach needed me to. So I said i would only if i called all the plays and played my style and he agreed unbeaten we did in a 1 year turnaround.
    Great story to be honest :0. Surprised no-one knows who i am yet :)

I value my privacy that's why I don't disclose everything.

Would be a great story to write about when I'm old and don't care anymore. I took out 3 qb's in 1 game once as well. Now u can understand why I'm so confident i could help the Chargers out with strats ect. In fact the 2nd best team in the league decided to use both their TE's to try block me on every play because i was so dominate on D. I had to ask some my D lineman to try help out a bit.

I recorded a game on D where i was in on every single tackle but 1 record in reg season. To this day has never been beaten as far as i know recorded on tape. So yea I guess well based on the way i see players leaning ect and my coach was smart enough to let me roam as inside linebacker. So few great players now-a days that are allowed to be great and read plays and react without reins. Offense I scored 3 TD's a game average no-matter what position i played. What cool is this is truth. My coach always said i would be NFL player if i wanted to be for sure. Non of this matters except to point out i am definitely an expert on how to win with tactics based on record and experience not just in football but in other sports and video gaming. To top all this off i once on D broke through the LOS and took the hand-off and ran it back for a TD. Also in a live game smashed into the "A" gap saving TD at the 6" line and afterwords the HEAD ref told me that was the bravest and best D play he ever seen after the play.

2nd best team in league HC had their TE both double try block me because i was so dominate middle linebacker. I had to get my D-lineman to try help me out because they were trying to take me out every play. I had a "NOSE for the FOOTBALL" my coach always said. Seemed simple to me to read how player lean etc if its a pass or run or what-not. I loved to watch the RB eye's usually he tells u were he's going as well. Also have to have great vison to see all the players at the same time to get good read's. Too many player have tunnel vison which hurt s them greatly. This all adds up to my conclusion u must run no huddle offense all the time, which i knew back when I played, yet how many teams get this yet? So many reason less time for D to read u plays etc, doesn't allow sub fresh players, won't get delay of game penalties & obvious the only thing u can control is the pace of the game adv, ware the d out etc and so the plays have less time to give away their plays before snaps. My worst thing was i fumbled too much when they had me on kick returns. I tried to score every time i had the ball, never understood player running out of bounds. I was REAL fast like the wind, don't think i have ever been caught from behind. I won't post my TD return % u won't believe it anyways.

I guarantee I could give the CHARGERS the best odds of winning a SB if i was involved in some form to supervise what direction this teams needs to go in. Pretty sure everything i said to be true. Don't think i exaggerated. (I was quit famous in my town)

25. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,581
    [​IMG]

26. gettough

gettough BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    If only...Chargers could have hired Dom Capers and Dick LeBeau....

27. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072

[​IMG]