1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Seahawks game thoughts...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Boltergeist, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    First the good stuff..

- We have a nice problem at WR....LOTS of talent. A far cry from a few years ago when we had Parker and McCardell. We have a bunch of guys poised to have big years and you can tell that the competition is only making them better. Count me as onboard the Charly Martin fan club. He gets the Wes Welker comparisons for good reason....not just because he's white and went to a school in Texas and is an underdog to make the roster.....He may not be as shifty or quick as Welker...but he definitely has the work ethic, drive, crazy good HANDS, and confidence....and he has better size than Wes. It is going to be interesting to see how this unfolds over the pre-season because if he goes to the practice squad, someone is going to grab him. VJ and Chambers look great. Buster was so-so returning punts, but looked pretty good in the field and caught nice balls. Kassim again showed why he is probably the NFL's premier ST gunner. Floyd is reliable. Naanee is a lock again as well and looked great. We are just loaded and there is going to be a tough cut here. At TE, Gates is going to just be a monster this year and will make PR even better with his presence as a security blanket over the middle now that he's back at full strength and can catch anything near him. Kris Wilson looks awesome.

- As much as I loved Yogi Tolbert a year ago, Michael Bennett is going to push him off this team if he hasn't already. Kris Wilson also has some experience at FB. Quite frankly, we need Bennett....He clearly has a burst that Gartrell lacks and is a vet with a good understanding of following blockers. He is the guy who can take some of the pounding off the starters. Gartrell needs some grooming Hester looks bigger and much more in control out there. LT looks like the old LT...especially on that last carry. I think it's great that he's getting some work so he can hit the ground running in week 1.

- On D--Cason looked great. Steve Gregory is going to take Clinton Hart's job...and Ellison is going to be right behind him. I loved Kevin Burnett's speed. You saw #99 all over the place...and he reminds me a lot of Donnie Edwards...Much more confident in him than Whiffhelm.

Negatives...

The offensive line looked mediocre again...right from the start and particularly run blocking on the right side. I was hoping we would see a better showing from Clary right away, but I'm already dissappointed. He looks like he's getting manhandled again. Kynan Forney is supposed to be a good run blocker? Well.....I remember the Falcons cut him because they were trying to upgrade and get more physical in the running game. That's one warning sign. It's early, but I worry that he's not going to be much more than Mike Goff was. It's a shame Vasquez was hurt. I want to see what he can do with his impressive size / strength. I've been hard on Nick Hardwick.....and will continue to be as long as he gets pushed around more than any C in the league in the running game. He's just weak and looks like he's around 250-260 lbs again. IMO he only made the pro bowl a couple of years ago because Dielman continually bails him out. I would like to see what a Tyronne Green could do as a stronger, bigger center with our first unit.

Whitehurst....Seriously....We don't need his roster spot with so many tight position battles. We would be F'd beyond belief anyway if he is forced into live action and I truly believe we would be better off with Naanee at QB....or even LT in a wildcat...or a combination of both. We need to cut bait this year and find ourselves a new #3 to groom...or off waivers in 2010.

We had some breakdowns in the secondary with our reserves late in the game. New pickup Castille didn't help his case with a really bad PI on a play he was burned on by a 3rd or 4th string WR.

other random thoughts....

Good experience for Vaughn Martin getting all that playing time. Looked overwhelmed and sucking wind at times...but he got a good taste of live action.

Shawne looked tentative out there....Hopefully just being overly cautious with his knee. I did find it funny that the Seahawks appeared to be gameplanning to run plays away from wherever he was at on the field.

Really looking forward to seeing Larry English, Beckwith, Vasquez out there. They were taling up English at one point saying he just has incredible leverage and power in getting to the QB.

Tired of seeing the Spanos kids on telecasts with their ridiculous "VP" titles. The younger Spanos referred to Vaughn Martin as a former hockey player (which he wasn't) using him as an example of someone who transitioned sports...... Just because he tried on skates and attempted it a couple of times to fit in (by his own admission), doesn't make him a 'hockey player'....I don't even think he played in a junior league. I'd much rather here some of our really scouts / football people talking.

• Like Like x 1
  2. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
  3. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Thoughts?

Just one:

1. Cro sucks... last year was no fluke... but the year before was.

4. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Those are the geniuses who will be running this team one day.

5. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    :icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_eek:

6. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Hopefully Deano has the common sense to make sure that they leave the real football decisions up to their hired football people...like he does...and just stay in the background with their glorified titles.

7. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    So who would be qualified? They grew up around the Chargers and football.

8. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    someone who does their homework and doesn't make an incorrect statement about one of their recently drafted players as I pointed out in the original post.

To further answer your question, someone who has spend the vast majority of their life working different organizational levels...preferably for multiple teams....with the requisite knowledge of the game and the position......generally not the sons of an owner who have probably never played, coached or managed at any level...certainly not anywhere else where they would actually have to interview for a position... and have little or no accountability to anyone so they can make as many mistakes as they want without ever having a fear of losing their job. A major reason the Raiders are completely dysfunctional right now is because their owner can't let go of control of that team....He actually IS a football guy who worked his way to the top...problem with him is that he's still living in the 70's and is partly senile.

I have no problem with what Deano is doing...He also "grew up with the Chargers"....but he leaves the actual scouting and player personnel stuff to the pros....His sons have glorified titles, but I don't see them making any real decisions.

9. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Successful owners do just that-leave the work to the professional and just sign the damned checks. Davis will probably no stay healthy enough to make much impact. I like the cut of Charly's jib, too.