1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Sean Jones at safety?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by maestro876, Feb 19, 2009.

1. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    I heard this mentioned over at the UT board, so I wanted to get peoples' thoughts on it.

Sean Jones is a safety for the Cleveland Browns who will be entering free agency. I don't watch Browns games, so I don't have first-hand knowledge of his play. But his stats look all right--solid tackle numbers and 14 INTs over the last three years.

He seems like the exact kind of middling free agent that AJ tends to pursue. And since we're not losing anyone that is likely to net us a big comp pick next year, AJ can sign FAs without regard to losing such a pick.

Can anyone with more familiarity with his play say whether this would be a good or bad idea?

• Like Like x 1
  2. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    It says here on the Browns website he's a DB, but here's some info on him. I haven't heard much about SJ, but he is the kind of guy AJ goes after in FA I agree. I'm pretty sure AJ will do his due diligence.

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/team/player.php?id=320

• Like Like x 1
  3. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    Thanks!

(DB means defensive back, covering both safeties and corners)

Makes me wonder...

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    He's a very good hitter, good in run support, mediocre/solid in coverage. Not that great at deep zone coverage though.

He's someone I"ve been suggesting for a bit now.

5. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Sean jones is my favorite FA available and would be absolutely thrilled if we signed him

6. sickswonnyne

sickswonnyne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79
    Him and Brodney Pool were basically carbon copy players (Jones is bigger) who were both so good during their competition at SS that they put them together at SS and FS. If I recall correctly, Jones was drafted a year earlier in the second? round, then was hurt all year, and the next year Pool was drafted in the second, I think. Jones stepped up, but so did Pool, and they decided to play them both. Now since Jones' rookie contract is up, I guess they'll let him walk, and give Pool the spot with a traditionally FS next to him. I'm writing this off the top of my head, so I'm not sure how accurate it is.

Jones kinda reminds me of Adrian Wilson from the Cards, but not as hard a hitter and obviously smaller (Jones 6'1'' 220 lbs. Wilson is like 230 lbs! At safety!). He would be bad as5 teamed with Weddle, but he's probably out of our price range. He's a hell of a hitter, but doesn't play TE's well, which is already a problem on our team. Weddle should do better with TEs, so I'd love for this pick-up to happen. But to me, he's a top 15 safety around Kerry Rhodes and Ken Hamlin, so I really doubt we can afford him. He's no mid-level free-agent like Jue or McCree, he'd be a big splash.

edit: Actually I'm dead on!!!http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1105592/index.htm

Jones had a torn ACL.

7. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    Would he really be a big splash? I haven't hear anything about him at all. In my mind, big-time FAs are/were Peppers, TJ, Haynesworth. Guys who will command huge, big-time contracts. I never have heard Sean Jones mentioned in that context.

We'll see I guess.

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    He wouldn't be a big splash but then again AJ has not gone out and gotten splash free agents in his time period. He goes for the tier below and then everyone below that. So TJ, Haynesworth, etc are not who he'd get. Jones is a good second tier FA that would fit in well.

9. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Ive wanted us to trade for Sean Jones for the last three years. I thought we could of gotton him while he was recovering from his torn ACL as a rookie. Just always liked the idea of us trading for him but didnt think it was possible after his 2007 season.

He has good size, is a solid hitter and decent in coverage and has good speed although he isnt a worldclass speester. Was outstanding at Georgia in blocking kicks....dont know if he has been used in that capacity with Cleveland though.

Id be pumped if we signed him. He might cost some bucks but i dont think he comes close to what Gibril Wilson got last year.