1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Search Warrant allowed then block for Michael Vick's house

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, May 30, 2007.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/myfox/p...TY&pageId=6.1.1

http://www.wvec.com/news/topstories...k.6c10df24.html

Report: Prosecutor doesn't like language of warrant, blocks search

ESPN.com news services

Updated: May 29, 2007, 9:16 PM ET

* Comment
    * Email
    * Print

RICHMOND, Va. -- Authorities have a search warrant to look for as many as 30 dog carcasses on property owned by Michael Vick that is at the center of a dog fighting investigation. But the warrant has not been executed.

In a news release, Sheriff Harold D. Brown said the warrant issued May 23 has not been executed at the request of Brown and Surry County Commonwealth's Attorney Gerald G. Poindexter. The release did not say why the two officials leading the investigation into possible dog fighting on the 15-acre property made the request.

Clayton: Quick Hits

It's pretty evident finding direct, indisputable evidence of Michael Vick's involvement in dog fighting won't be easy. The bad news for Vick is having this case drag on will continue to cost him fans and support, writes John Clayton. Quick Hits Insider
    • Steve Wyche discusses negativity around Vick and Falcons on The SportsBash Insider

However, ABC affiliate WVEC-TV in Virginia is reporting that Poindexter and the county sheriff "did not like the language" of the warrant approved by a state magistrate.

Brown was not in the office and is the only member of the sheriff's department who can comment on the case, a dispatcher said Tuesday. Poindexter also was out of the office and did not return a message left by The Associated Press seeking comment.

No charges have been filed, but Poindexter has said he is confident when sufficient evidence is gathered, it will be brought before a special grand jury.

The warrant is based on investigator W.R. Brinkman being told by an informant that seven pit bulls were destroyed on the property in Surry County and buried in shallow graves two days before a drug raid on April 25. It cites "reliable sources" as saying that as many as 30 dogs are buried in various locations on the property, much of which is surrounded by a black fence and secluded behind a massive two-story brick home.

A copy of the warrant was provided to the AP by The Virginian-Pilot of Norfolk.

The document gives investigators permission to search for pit bull terrier/fighting dog carcasses on the grounds and in buildings behind the black privacy fence in the rear of the home, which Vick has claimed he rarely visited. The Atlanta Falcons quarterback put the home up for sale shortly after the dog fighting investigation began and sold it the first day, but it is unclear whether the sale has been completed.

The warrant also allows authorities to search "all outbuildings which have blood-covered wood floors or walls" for anything that could be used in the killing of animals -- including ropes, guns, rifles, spent shotgun shells, spent bullet cartridges, shovels and "any and all evidence contributing to dog fighting and animal cruelty."

Police raided the home as part of a drug investigation. They seized 66 dogs, 55 of them pit bulls, and a variety of equipment that could be associated with dog fighting.

While items such as treadmills and syringes seized could be typical of a legitimate breeding operation, which Vick is registered to have, items like a "pry bar" used to pry apart a dog's jaws, and bloodstained carpeting raised dog fighting suspicions.

A native of Newport News who starred at Virginia Tech, Vick has blamed family members at the home for taking advantage of his generosity. He claimed he didn't know a large kennel on the property could be involved in criminal activity.

News of the search warrant comes after a report by ESPN on Sunday citing a "reliable police informant" as saying Vick is "one of the heavyweights" in dog fighting circles and has been known to bet in the tens of thousands of dollars on fights.

News of the search warrant comes after a confidential source who said he's been involved in dog fighting for more than 30 years gave an interview to ESPN's "Outside the Lines," where he referred to Vick as one of the "heavyweights" of the dog fighting world.

"He's a pit bull fighter," the source said of Vick. "He's one of the ones that they call 'the big boys' -- that's who bets a large dollar. And they have the money to bet large money. As I'm talking about large money -- $30,000 to $40,000 -- even higher. He's one of the heavyweights."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I hope the State DA or the Feds take over this case. That Poindexter looks and acts like a small town hack.

• Like Like x 1
  3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    at this point with such serious questions that a warrant would be blocked by the lead investigator brings serious questions as to just how fair he is and whether or not he's got something in his background.

SDUT guys say there could be as many as 10 pit bull carcasses on vick's property. If they find 1-2 on his property he's SOL.

4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Hey he now has complimentary box seats and new car, and a bunch of Falcons paraphenalia.

5. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    To the uninitiated Poindexter looks to be a road block. His lack of explination doesnt help either. Perhaps the reality is that Poindexter is doing the right thing, but he doesnt come across that way.

Just sayin....:icon_eek: DONT SUE ME!!! :icon_cry:

6. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Lawyer speak. :tdown:

Nothing against you, sweetheart, but this same bullshit about being "fair" is what saw OJ walk after BRUTALLY murdering his ex wife and her waiter/lover.

Lawyers are the scum of the earth, percentage-wise.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I'm all for a "fair" trial and conviction, if any party involved is guilty. I know I have less than 1% of the legal expertise that you possess, but I have seen, up close, a trial that I believe was a railroad job. I'm always for being fair.

I don't understand why there would be a problem getting a second search, especially since it was already signed by a judge. Shouldn't the judge have made sure all the i's were dotted and t's were crossed?

Since dogfighting items were found on the first search, it seems all they would need to do is use those results to file for a more thorough second search.

8. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    I agree with you. He's not trying to obstruct anything. He doesn't want law-enforcement's case thrown out of court on a technicality or overturned on appeal so he's forcing everyone to dot their I's and cross their T's. And you're right, Joe Schmoe citizen wouldn't get that kind of treatment because Joe Schmoe citizen wouldn't have millions of dollars (potentially) to spend on a top-flight legal team. But Poindexter knows any error or cutting-of-corners in the investigative process will be highlighted and exposed by good lawyers whose first goal will be to get any case against Vick dismissed before it's begun.

I think this DA isn't so much trying to be fair as he is trying to emerge from this whole thing with his reputation still in tact, and that means LE cannot drop the ball at any stage. They'll approach this thing like an explosives tech trying to disarm a bomb. Take nothing for granted.

• Like Like x 2
  9. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    The Lawyers didn't let OJ walk from anything, The Jury did.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    That being the case, imagine how lucky we are to have to kewel non-scum lawyers here. Well one is still in training and may not have had his 'how to be scum' calss yet.:tup:

11. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    If Vickie is found guilty, I say we put him in the cage with Liddell for a little "dog fight". :tup:

Hopefully this will put his desire to fight in perspective.

• Like Like x 1
  12. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    FUK VICTOR

HE'S ALREADY GUILTY IN MY MIND

:tdown:

13. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    This article isn't worth a new thread...

No Suspension Without Charges

14. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    You can take the boy out of the ghetto, but you can't take the ghetto out of the boy.

I can't wait until Mike Vick gets raped in prison.

15. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I am so damn glad we dont have him. THANK YOU JOBU!!!!

I saw a clip where he was saying it didnt matter what he did he was golden and people would love him. Yeah they will love him alright in prison!

16. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Keil is not longer on the team. I am not commenting on if Vick is involved, I was commentig on the flat out asinine arogance to suggest that no matter what he does the NFL and fans will continue to kiss his holy arse.

Edit: and YES I consider dog fighting a lot worse than importing ****erfit shoes or shipping cough medicine. Only one of those ends in one or more death. It is not hunting, it is pitting two creatures against one another to the death. Sorry if that doesnt bother you, but I think it is just a ****ing waste!

Edit: And yes, I agree he is innocent until proven guilty, but his arrogance isnt winning him any marks from me.

17. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    There are a few too many coincidences for anyone to think he was ignorant of what was going on.

1. It's his property. Granted, there are many, many absentee property-owners in this country who are oblivious to what's going on on their property but;

2. Vick is into dogs, specifically pit bulls, and owns breeding equipment. What a coincidence!

3. People are coming forward to say Vick was not only aware but involved with the goings-on. Some may be lying, but all? What a coincidence!

4. NFL players like Portis immediately jumped to the defense of Vick and dog-fighting. Who is more likely to know what Vick does in his spare time... people in the media or his own peers in the NFL? What a coincidence!

5. It's starting to become clear that dog-fighting is a bigger force than anyone really knew prior to this news coming out, and that professional athletes are heavily involved. What a coincidence!

6. In Vick's own words members of his family were involved. Family members don't talk? These family members were involved in this dog-fighting ring and successfully concealed from Vick to make him their dupe?

7. Vick is no choir-boy...his history has little dings demonstrating he's not a particularly upstanding citizen. This is not like trying to envision LT being part of a dog-fighting ring. With Vick it totally fits with his character and background.

Yes, police can and do railroad suspects at times, but there are too many coincidences in this case for Vick to be just an innocent victim. If he had no personal history of dog-breeding then maybe he could be held as ignorant...but

18. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    During the season some of our valued posters used that term in reference to what was going to happen to opposing teams and their players. The way that they phrased things was offensive to some of our other valued posters who found the inference demeaning and insensitive. As a result that word was removed.

19. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    This is a key point. If the LA Cops and the DA had been as careful with the evidence as they should have been, if the crime lab hadn't been ill supervised and if they had maintained a proper chain of evidence, I doubt OJ would have walked. People who complain about people getting off because they had a good lawyer ignore the flip side. Good lawyers force prosecutors to bring their A game, and if their A game doesn't do it, then their case wasn't so good to begin with. An awful lot of convictions are being reversed because of shoddy defenses that should have picked up on the flaws in a case that would have exculpated their clients. Everybody hates lawyers until they need one, then the first question is, "How good are they?". If I ever need a lawyer to defend ME, I damn sure will look for one who know how to find the jugular.

:yes:

20. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    This is why I don't understand why people are dissing Poindexter. Part of the reason OJ walked is because the DA let just enough things slip through the cracks that it gave a sympathetic jury an excuse to acquit. It became obvious that while OJ might have been guilty, investigators were going out of their way to make him look guilty even to the point of crossing the line between acceptable and unacceptable evidence gathering. Things like the too-small glove being admitted into evidence shouldn't have happened. The DA made enough mistakes to make themselves look bad and the jury jumped on the nonsense as a reason to acquit.

It seems to me that Poindexter is trying to make sure nothing in this case can be construed as police misconduct, fabricated evidence or fabricated just-cause. It's smart because any mistakes they make now will be exploited by Vick's lawyers later...

21. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886

What you just said and the fact that the glove didn't fit over latex gloves and obviously shrunk from the amount of blood on them. Oh and not to mention the temperature at the time which aided in the shrinkage of the leather glove JMHO. :bolt2:

• Like Like x 1
  22. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    There are turning points in criminal cases like this that simply absorb all the oxygen in the court room and you bring up one of the best examples ever. The Sagan Penn case had a couple moments like that. So did Hartless.