1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Season is over.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Andres M188, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Andres M188

Andres M188 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    The San Diego/Los Angeles Chargers inability to adress the defensivis like me going to the ER for a shattered pelvis & being given cold medicine. Why hasnt the defensive line been fixed yet? We need to draft Jaylon Smith and build around him this offseason. If Myles Jack drops to the 2nd rd, pick him up to. And then any draft pick just use for the defensive line.

- I understand, neither are D-linemen but we just need to reboot the front seven.

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Cant argue at this point.

3. Bruce Daniel

Bruce Daniel BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +242
    You're two weeks behind on this post....

4. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    Cue sad Boyz II Men song, let's quietly sit in the corner of our room, reflecting on what could've been...

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,737
    It's not over until Yogi Berra says it is...

6. DJNAVATEK

DJNAVATEK BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    ^^^haahaa... "its so hard....toooo ssaaaayy goooddbyyyee tooo to the yessterrdaay."

7. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +943
    The lines on both sides of the ball are soft as vanilla.. no attitude, grit or toughness. Just soft.. it was so much more evident today than previous games..

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,737
    ^^^Plus, playing without regular starters, practically using scrubs as your first line, personnel not familiar with their assignments, etc. You could tell by the body language of a lot of the players. No anger... Odd.

9. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    This is the softest team in the NFL.

The final 9 games have to be played, I just hope they don't cost themselves the draft pick by going on some pointless late season run culminating in a very public and very humiliating elimination late in the season. Kind of a bummer we managed to squeak out those Ws vs the Browns and Lions, two teams we will be competing with for the #1 overall pick.

Shame, I had really hoped McCoy might be the man for the job. But kicking a FG while down 27 in the 2nd half.....he basically signed his own pink slip.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    Fire John and Alex G. Spanos. Jerry Jones and Al Davis combo 2.0.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. House of Hayne

House of Hayne Chargers Smash

Ratings:
    +204
    I think we have the players
    But the coaching is total :poop:
    We can't get out of our own way
    The raiders let us score late in the game
    I want to keep TT but clean house on the rest of the coaches keep Nolan

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Montrose

Montrose BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +223
    Sorry I agree re softness but the rest can't be right.

If they got the number 1 pick then they wouldn't be able to trade away vital picks and move up for a player no-one wanted anyway... ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Respect and tradition is all but gone. Friggin Chargers and Raiders are planning to be co tenants in Carson FFS! The players practice in antiquated and shabby facilities. A lot of these younger players are just collecting a paycheck. I think that the coaching staff is fast losing its grip on the players and I agree with those who are of the same mind that many of these average or below average players will flourish elsewhere in better run organizations.

I was watching the Panthers v Iggles tonight. Quite a few ex Chargers who played well and some of them are aging players. 5-6 years ago Sproles was slipping and sliding all over the place and I don't have to tell you all what happened to him when he went to NoLa! Even at almost 30 YO he is still a decent player. Another one, not a Charger though, Jarred Allen: Look how he seems to have found fresh wind in his sail a physically dominant D in Carolina. I mean, Jarred is like what, 100 years old?! :confused:

14. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,737
    In the post game commentary on the radio and in the days preceeding this, I have heard from several sources that some of the younger players are NOT all in, not putting in that extra effort to succeed. The older veterans are trying to get them to buy in, but there is a major rift between players in the locker room. Where are the leaders?

15. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +943
    I see Carrethers, Perryman, Verret, etc. playing well.
    I don't see Ingram, Butler, Flowers, Wilson, etc. playing well.

So how are they 'younger' guys the ones not buying in?

But, hey, some people love to point to the GM. But, the GM doesn't coach the players or has control of the locker room. Their is plenty of leadership in the locker room, however, I feel as if the some of the 'leaders' are the ones who are causing the rift.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,159
    With all due respect, I think this misses the mark:

Look at the 2009 roster (LT, Sproles, Jammer, VJ, Binn, Hardwick, Osgood, Cromartie, Tolbert, etc.)
    http://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/san-diego-chargers/roster/2009
    and ask yourself if you think that the 2015 version is seriously anywhere near as good.
    And bear in mind that even where it's the same (Rivers, Gates, Floyd etc.) it's a six years younger Rivers, Gates, etc.

As to coaching, well, I took a lot of crap for years for asking:
    "You really think Norv is the problem? You really believe that 'ABN--Anybody But Norv'--
    will lead to the FO bringing someone in who is going to get significantly more wins out of this roster?"
    so I'm probably not the right guy to defend McCoy, Reich, etc. I'm not a McCoy fan any more than I
    was a Norv fan (look at yesterday's petulant after-game statements by McCoy...he just defensively, gruffly
    repeatedly grunts that practices are good, so there's no need to try a new approach...he refuses to grow)
    but the problem is mostly with the roster. Especially on D. Sure, the injuries hurt, but all teams have
    injuries, and this is not an impressive line-up, even if healthy. More competitive, obviously...but not
    scaring anyone. (Belichick, btw, was 5-11 in 2000, before forced to use Brady as his starter...HC's records tend to reflect their players)
    Better coaching might make this team perform slightly better...but anyone who thinks that this roster has championship potential is in as much denial as McCoy is.

As I said in another thread, the Chargers picked a horrible time to play so badly...three days before the NFL
    comes to Spreckels Theatre, ostensibly to hear whether San Diego fans care about keeping their team...

17. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    Leadership in the locker room among players seems to be severely lacking, especially on the defensive side of the ball. Philip, Gates, Floyd & Woodhead probably have that locked down on the offense, but on special teams, Scifres is having an off year and our return game is non-existent, and on defense, we lost a ton of veteran leadership in the past few seasons with the departures of Takeo Spikes, Shaun Phillips, Quentin Jammer, Jarrett Johnson & Dwight Freeney. Left to fill the void is Eric Weddle, but his selfish holdout & mouthy agent have diminished him in that capacity – if I were a rookie or 2nd year player on our defense, I don’t know if I’d listen to him either, especially after his agent chimed in about how Flowers got re-signed & “The Beard” didn’t this time around.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Time for a players only meeting. In 2007 it was called for by LT and the team went on after to win 6 straight...

But who is the leader in this locker room? Rivers? Nope. I love the guy, but when he says he doesn't like to talk to other players to help them out and wants to leave them alone, that is not leadership.

Weddle? Nope Telesco made him a lame duck.

Jarrett Johnson, nope, gone.

Who on this team is a vocal leader, someone who can get players to follow and work together? The D needs to work together, to get on the same page and stop playing sand lot football. The O needs to play well in the red zones. The special teams. Hell just blow them up.

Seriously, who is a player who is a team leader?

19. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,413
    The two-edged sword that it Philip Rivers. When he plays great, he gives a team a chance that wouldn't have one, and lulls the franchise into thinking their team is better than it is. When he's a little off (like yesterday) the pathetic nature of the team is exposed for all to see.

As long as Philip Rivers is your QB, you'll win enough games to have a mediocre record overall. That keeps you from being truly putrid, but it also keeps you from being bad enough to draft the top talent that could fix this team (providing you have a GM who knows what they're doing). That's why having Rivers with this FO is both a blessing and a curse.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +943
    Coaching is the problem. Why has this team struggled so much since Whisenhunt left? That team, had such low expectations, yet exceeded them by far. Rivers was a surgeon when we won 6 of 7, including two huge road wins in KC and Denver and then going into the playoffs and winning in Cincinnati. Whisenhunt also called some incredible games and we had balance in the offense. Pagano also called some incredible games too.

It's a damn shame. McCoy had the right attitude when he first arrived, but it's been stagnant since and it's rubbed the fans, media and most importantly players the wrong way.

21. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,413
    One in a great while, I actually agree with Kevin Acee....... ;)

Given the circumstances, this is as low as the Chargers have sunk since at least the end of the 2012 season. Stay tuned, if you must, it could well drop to 2003 levels. There are precious few reasons to believe it won’t. They had been close, playing so well in spurts. But now you have to wonder what they're made of.

The Chargers essentially had to win this game. Not only did they lose, they got run over and run around and run by. That’s not a bad game. That’s a bad team.

It was their third straight loss. It effectively took them out of playoff contention earlier than any season in more than a decade. They’ve lost five of their first seven games, and they’ve all but lost their local support.

22. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    This young boys joke has to be put to bed. Show me supamel, franklin, butler, wilson, flowers etc doing "a bit more "and I will raise you verrett, perryman, philon, oliver etc. This sh1t is the old guys (including coaches) trying to cover their arses. The fact that jacoby jones, donald brown, the special teams coaches, are still here says it all for me. There is NO accountability. Instead the rookie we moved up to get/traded a pick for, in the draft, the last remaining game changer sits for almost 3 quarters.

We need a clearout of coaches and Telesco has 1 last chance to get the right guy in here. Heck he is even on v thin ice for me. But they say GMs always get to pick a 2nd HC if the 1st one is a dud, which this one is.

23. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +943
    The funniest part is, Melvin Gordon wasn't 'punished' according to McCoy for his turnovers last week. But he was healthy enough to be active and come in the game in a blow out? That's what we do with a top 15 pick huh? And then after the game, after all this, Melvin Gordon says he does not know why he didn't play in the first half. He wasn't told why and to me that is hilarious. That's not a coaching problem right? - That is not how you send a message to your player or players and that is terrible communication. Tells me all I need to know about McCoy and his relationship as well as communication with players. No wonder the locker room is divided.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  24. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +943
    :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

25. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    -
    Why isn't winner of the thread?

26. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Norv did the same exact thing to Mathews once.

27. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Anyone have a universal translator?

• Winner Winner x 1
  28. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +378
    Steps for to improve the 2016 Chargers.

Receive a high draft pick in spite of Philip Rivers heroic efforts. 4-12 is the goal.
    Pray John Spanos and Tom Telesco scout and draft well in spite of their genuine inability to do so.
    Pray Dean Spanos and Tom Telesco fire Mike McCoy and Frank Reich and John Pagano in spite of their love for them.
    Pray Dean Spanos and Tom Telesco hire the right head coach, offensive coordinator, and defensive coordinator in spite of their failure to do so with the current staff.
    Pray the injury bug vaccine is found.
    Pray every other team in the AFC West sucks and is horrible like we are.

So basically pray the man upstairs is smiling on Charger football.

29. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +378
    Why isn't this post of the thread you numbnut.

• Informative Informative x 1
  30. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +943
    Weren't the Chargers the 26th healthiest team heading into this week? I mean, the injuries are a little over blown, the coaching staff has to do better with what they have.