1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Season Predictions Time

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Sep 6, 2015.

1. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Can we do our pointless season predictions now? :inlove: I think it's safe.

Broncos 12-4: Sorry but this is the most talented team in the division. I'm not sure about Kubiak as a HC, but Wade Phillips running that defense is very intriguing. Von Miller, Demarcus Ware, and Shane Ray make for a vaunted pass rush; and they have a very good group of DBs led by a couple top 5 CBs in Talib and Harris Jr. If we're lucky, Manning's arm will noodle out before the end of the season and we'll make a late push at them.

Chargers 11-5: This team was 31st last year in Adjusted Games Lost (games missed by starters) due to injury, and still managed to scrape 9 wins. I can't imagine us losing 5 centers, 3 RBs, 3 OLBs, both ILBs, both CBs etc... for a 2nd year in a row. We've added weapons in the form of Stevie Johnson and Melvin Gordon, we get Woodhead back, we solidify the LG position for the first time since Dielman retired, and it looks like Donald Butler is about to make a comeback. My one major concern is the offensive line, they have to get their **** together fast.

Chiefs 9-7: They are dangerous to sleep on. Houston, Hali, and Ford make up a dynamic pass rush. Eric Berry has returned, and Dontari Poe keeps that D-line stout. The addition of Jeremy Maclin gives them a threat to stretch the field (if Alex Smith is willing), and of course they're built around the running game with Charles and Davis. At the end of the day, I'm banking on Alex Smith being Alex Smith.

Raiders 6-10: Interesting team, they seem to finally be building the right way, but they don't have all the parts yet. Carr is exceeding expectations, Khalil Mack is of course one of the top defensive players in the league already, and somehow they patched a semi-decent O-line together through free agency with Donald Penn and Rodney Hudson leading the way. But the running game is still weak, the pass defense is well below average, and I don't expect them to be in the top 20 in any major offensive or defensive statistic. They just aren't ready yet.

Team Awards
    MVP - Philip Rivers
    OPOY - Keenan Allen
    DPOY - Melvin Ingram
    ROY - Melvin Gordon
    Comeback Player - Danny Woodhead
    New Addition - Stevie Johnson
    Disappointment - Ladarius Green

• Like Like x 2
  2. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +376
    11-5 seems about perfect for the Chargers.

AFC West
    Chargers - 11-5 (win by tiebreaker and donkey help)

Chiefs - 11-5

This is still a great defensive team but I believe in Maclin. I think we're going to see the gunslinger Alex Smith that went toe to toe with Brees.

Broncos - 9-7

I still believe in Peyton Manning has it, but Kubiak is the new Norv. Broncos are gonna slip just enough this year.

Raiders - 6 - 10

Mack is for real and will be sore against the Chargers for awhile. Carr is good QB and the potential to be Elite is there but I think he's a year or two away. Oh and Cooper is my bet for ROTY.

I think the Chargers and Chiefs will make the playoffs and the Dolphins being the other WC.

#1 seed - Colts 13-3
    #2 seed - Patriots 12-4
    #3 seed - Chargers
    #4 seed - Steelers 10-6(easily could be the best team in the AFC depending on how they do early w/o Bell but I don't believe in their defense. Plus the AFC North is always tough)
    #5 Chiefs - 11-5
    #6 Dolphins 10 -6

NFL Awards

NFL MVP - Tom Brady
    NFL Defensive Player of the year - Greg Hardy
    NFL Offensive Player of the year - Adrian Peterson
    NFL Offensive Rookie of the year - Amari Cooper
    NFL Defensive Rookie of the year - Leonard Williams

3. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    Quick glance at the schedule and I think we should be good for nine wins. More if we've actually fixed some of our problem areas from last year (lack of running game, crappy lines, etc) AND we don't take an all-to-familiar step backward in some other as-yet-to-be-discovered area. I'd love to see the entire team gel, become very efficient at winning games, and go on a serious run. But then again I'd also love a new Bentley in the garage.

4. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +301
    My view is as follows:

1. Broncos (11-5): They are no longer the most talented team in the division, but they appear to have drawn a favorable schedule in that a significant majority of their tough games against non-division opponents are at home. They should crash and burn in the playoffs.

2. Chiefs (10-6): They are now the most talented team in the division. They are also a matchup problem for us due to their ability to run the ball. The Chiefs have a tougher schedule than we have due to non-common opponents, but I see them finishing with a better record because I see them beating us twice due to our inability to stop the run.

3. Chargers (9-7): The return of Woodhead will be the single greatest improvement as a superior check down option for Rivers. There should be minor improvement in the running game, but not as much as was originally hoped to be the case. The defense still is weak against the run, but looks good against the pass. Quality depth is slightly improved overall.

4. Raiders (5-11): The Raiders are improving, but still have quite a way to go. I can't find 6 wins for them at this point.

If we can beat the Chiefs at least once, I see us contending for a wild card at 10-6. If we get in, anything can happen.

5. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +301
    Regarding team awards:

MVP: Philip Rivers
    OPOY: Philip Rivers
    DPOY: Eric Weddle
    ROY: Melvin Gordon (by default--only rookie expected to see starting player reps)
    Comeback Player: Danny Woodhead
    New Addition: Stevie Johnson
    Disappointment: Melvin Gordon (relative to other wordly expectations--solid, but not great season expected)

6. gonzokrb

gonzokrb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +64
    Drug test needed! You got to be smoking crack to think the Queefs have a better record than us. Bronco's within 5 games are going to find out what it's like to be Manningless.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +376
    They have a quality PROVEN Defense and we could too but have to stay healthy. Honestly Health is a big factor early on. If a hot start happens like last year, I can conceivably see us running away with the division.

8. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    I peg us at 12-4 with losses to the Packers, Ravens, Chiefs away, and Broncos at home putting us in 2nd in the AFC behind 13-3 Colts.

I like what we have going, this being year #3 under McCoy should really get things to finally all come together after two years of learning and getting comfortable. I feel good about this year, these guys aren't playing for just the team but this being quite possibly the last year in San Diego I feel like they are going to try and go out with a very large bang.

Also, don't think the Broncos will be nearly as good this year. Peyton is still damn good but that line looks sketchy and he lost his #1 receiver. KC... do you really believe in Alex Smith all that much? Nope.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Boltzzz

Boltzzz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99
    Bolts will go 11-5

10. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
  11. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    They will win some.
    They will lose some...
    They will haul off to LA...

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +301
    I am definitely not "smoking crack" regarding my predictions for this year. Three posters in this thread gave specific win-loss numbers for our division. My prediction as to the Chiefs was in the middle of those that predicted.

There are two reasons why I think the Chiefs are likely to have more wins than we will have.

First, the Chiefs greatly improved at WR by adding Maclin and Conley. I would take either over any WR on our roster (Conley based more upon huge upside than expected present contribution). This will help the Chiefs use a ball control offense against opponents as they will be able to pass for more first downs, which will allow them to run the ball even more than they could previously. Simply put, their offense will be more effective this year than it was last year.

Second, the Chiefs match up well against us, which is why I have them beating us twice. They run the ball well and we do not stop the run well. They rely less on the pass, which is our defensive strength. We are a good passing team, but pass defense is their strength. They are not very good against the run, but we are not effective at running the ball. The result is that the biggest advantage one team has over the other is their ground game versus our run defense.

It would great be great if I were wrong, but I am concerned that I am not.

And you might as well start buying lottery tickets if you are banking on the Broncos being Manningless after 5 games. It is more likely that Manning will get progressively less effective as the season wears on him, but Manning has been fairly durable, so some sort of season ending injury is unlikely.

13. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,025
    0-16, because they let Ryan Mathews walk at the expense of retaining Donald the Duck Brown!

14. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +301
    That was a bad move for sure notwithstanding your facetious post.

15. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,025
    Hey, I didn't poo poo your prediction, so leave me alone!

16. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +376
    Is that Arian Foster.

18. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    Here is my take:

I do believe that this will be the best division record wise in football from top to bottom

Denver Broncos- 12-4.

I believe that Denver is still the best team in this division. Denver still has an elite pass rush in Ware, Miller, and Ray. Manning is still Manning, and is will put up good numbers in the regular season as always. The secondary is above average, and they have D. Thomas. I think they lose 2 in conference games to us, and the Chiefs both on the road.

San Diego Chargers- 10-6 (Tiebreaker)

This was difficult finding 10 wins, but they are there. We have an extremely tough schedule and gauntlet at the end of the season. However, we have improved IMO tremendously with the addition of Stevie Johnson, Orlando Franklin, and Barksdale. I do believe Melvin Gordon gets it together by week 5 or 6 and is going to start looking like the player San Diego drafted him to be. We have a healthy Danny Woodhead back, and Donald Butler is my comeback player of the year. As I have said in other threads, it's hard for to believe that the 2013 version just disappeared. Add all of that to the fact that if we weather the storm early we get Gates back week 5.

Kansas City Chiefs- 10-6

As stated earlier in this thread, Kansas City is much improved at WR with the additions of Maclin, and Conley. They still have a above average front, and a crazy good pass rush. Jamaal Charles will put up his typical numbers, and Alex Smith will do just enough to keep them winning games.

Oakland Raiders- 7-9

Oakland is a bit of a mystery to me. This team seems to be moving in the right direction. The one big thing that keeps them from contending this year, is there below average pass defense. I love Khalil Mack. He is just an animal. Derek Carr looks absolutely nothing like his brother, and seems to look like he will definitely be a force in this league. I only have them at 7-9 because it's the Raiders, and they will find a way to mess things up. They are a good 2 years away from being a contender with the right pieces.

19. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Chargers 11-5, wins AFC West in Tie break
    Broncos 11-5
    Chiefs 9-7
    Raiders 7-9

20. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Oakland completely checked their shame at the door to sign Aldon Smith today, he and Mack on the same D could be a problem.

If he's ready to play I'd give them another win or two.